• Liked: 2
Re: Moving to UK
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 11:09:51 PM »
..East End boys and  West  End girls!!  ...  ;) ;D :D
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 10:14:03 AM »
I lived in the East End (Green Street) a couple of years ago and it is definitely colourful and a bit rough.  I have to agree with otterpop that it is really filthy even in the nicer pockets.

I don't know about schools since my daughter was a baby when we lived there  but Newham isn't known for great education.

• azroomie & james
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 01:16:38 PM »
.  However, the immigration officer has the discretion to put a mark in your passport if he/she feels that you might overstay your visa, get married while you're here, or basically try to circumvent the immigration rules. 

Basically they RULE the roost.. so don't  mess with them..   ::) :o :-X

What they  say... GOES>> regardless.. 
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 01:47:14 PM »
I feel the need to reassure you about East London!  It's not the best side of town, but I lived there for 4 years, with young kids and no problems - never saw any violence (maybe I didn't go out enough??!!).  Anyway, my point is that East London and surrounding area is very large and very diverse - it's not San Diego, but you should be able to find somewhere you can be happy!

You may want to look at the following areas to get an idea of how different various areas can be ... hey, and don't forget the Olympics may be coming to East London in 2012!

Canary Wharf/The Docklands - HUGE upscale waterside office/shopping/housing development, lots of money, very clean, good transport links, don't know much about whether there is a sense of community though?? Look at www.canarywharf.com

Hackney - multi cultural, rough and ready, with pockets of gentrifcation, nice parks, Victorian housing

Walthamstow - a bit like Hackney but perhaps a bit less rough and ready??!!

Wanstead and Woodford - former rural villages, now on the tube and very much suburban - but nice atmosphere, lots of green space - good houses, shops and schools on and guess what, expensive!!

Chingford - a cheaper version of Woodford - I lived there and found it very pleasant - we had fantastic neighbours on our street - we still go back and visit them.

Good luck!

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 02:17:14 PM »
I have to say Chingford is VERY different than East Ham.

I don't think that it is a very scary place.  I liked it better than Wapping.  I never saw any violence and I lived close to Upton Park (never go out on game days!).  A car was set on fire and there was a domestic confrontation in the middle of the street which is usually par for the course.

It really depends on what makes you comfortable

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 05:55:46 PM »
I'm so glad i found this site. thank you all for the suggestions and advice. :-*

I'm flying back to London in May. I will definitely check the places you suggested. Anyone familiar with Forest Gate, it looks like it'a a pretty decent place to live in - well i dont know, i just saw a couple of pictures from findaproperty.com

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2005, 01:10:17 PM »
Forest Gate is right next to Stratford, so my opinion is that it is, unfortunately, much the same.
However, I left Stratford / Plaistow 3 years ago, so there is every chance that it has improved since then!  :)
I agree that Wanstead is quite nice.

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2005, 08:40:03 PM »
Forest Gate is right next to Stratford, so my opinion is that it is, unfortunately, much the same.
However, I left Stratford / Plaistow 3 years ago, so there is every chance that it has improved since then!  :)
I agree that Wanstead is quite nice.

Confirming that Broxi's observations on Forest Gate are still in effect. 

In the eastward direction, from Stratford to the Orbital is going to be the same...

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2005, 09:02:22 PM »
Thanks again... at least i know what places to go check out while i'm there.

Going back to visa/immigration ... i forgot to mention that i am not an american citizen but a permanent US resident, will there be any other requirement if we are to apply for spousal visa?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab