Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Brand new to all this...  (Read 693 times)

• Am I there yet? *sigh*
  • Liked: 0
Brand new to all this...
« on: February 24, 2005, 10:04:45 AM »
Hi all,
     I'm going through the work visa process, and I've basically had to do the whole thing by myself.  The company that's hiring me has never hired a foreign national before, and I've had to hold their hand through the whole thing.  We hired a company that specializes in making sure everything goes smoothly, and my application was sent to the Home Office last week.  I should be hearing something in the next day or two about my work visa acceptance, but I'm still on pins and needles thinking that something will go wrong with it.  Assuming it does go through all right (which I'm assured it will), I then have to apply for an entry clearance.  Can anyone give me advice on what this process is like, and how long it usually takes?  I'm trying to get an idea of when I'll be leaving for the UK, and would love to know how long it took people to get their entry clearance after having their visa approved.  Anything else I should know about?  Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.  So glad I found this site!

Re: Brand new to all this...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 10:21:16 AM »
Welcome, bongirl5.  I myself haven't applied yet, but I just want to call your attention to the thread "Share your visa stories here!" where you will find one or two work-related visa stories.

Jim

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 10:23:23 AM »
Cant really help answer your questions but wanted to say hello and welcome  :)

• Am I there yet? *sigh*
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 10:24:16 AM »
Thanks for the welcome!  I've perused the visa section and didn't find much, but I'll delve deeper if I need to. 

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 12:47:34 PM »
The entry clearance part of this pocess is definitely the easy bit.  I haven't been through it myself but know that those who have have had no hassle with it at all.  I think there's a form to send in, and then a wait of a week or so. 

And welcome!  :)

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 02:03:51 PM »
It didn't take me long at all...I filled out the fast track, printed it out, put it in an envelope with my passport and whatever else they wanted, sent it via UPS and received it within (I think) 9 days.  It was very cut & dry.  I would give yourself at least 3 weeks before you are heading over for the process (just to be certain) but it is quite quick!

• Am I there yet? *sigh*
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 10:12:22 PM »
Thanks!  I might do the fastrak thing too, but Los Angeles is only an hour away.  I might just drive up to the embassy and do it in person.  Onetiger:  When you were approved for your work visa, did you have to send your passport to get the stamp in it?  How did that work?

Sponsored Links