Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New BRP Card expiry date  (Read 215 times)

• Liked: 2
New BRP Card expiry date
« on: March 04, 2024, 08:42:37 AM »
Hi everyone!

I received my BRP card after my ILR application was successful,  and it says it expires on 31/12/24…?

Is this correct? I thought ILR status lasted for like 5 years..?

• Liked: 6110
Re: New BRP Card expiry date
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 08:44:43 AM »
Hi everyone!

I received my BRP card after my ILR application was successful,  and it says it expires on 31/12/24…?

Is this correct? I thought ILR status lasted for like 5 years..?

Don't worry.  :). They all expire then, that's when they are going digital. All checks to be done online from then on.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM »
See here for more information:

https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/report-problem

From that page:

If your BRP expires on 31 December 2024

You do not need to tell UKVI if your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 but your immigration status (for example, your visa) allows you to stay longer.

You will not need a BRP from 1 January 2025. You’ll be able to prove your immigration status online, without a BRP.

UKVI will update their information on how to prove your immigration status in early 2024. You do not need to do anything and your immigration status will not be affected.

You're not the first person to have asked this same question on the forum in the last few weeks... UKVI really should explain the reason for the 31/12/24 expiry date in their approval letter/email - it would save a lot of confusion!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 12:24:02 PM »
See here for more information:

https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/report-problem

From that page:

You're not the first person to have asked this same question on the forum in the last few weeks... UKVI really should explain the reason for the 31/12/24 expiry date in their approval letter/email - it would save a lot of confusion!
They do explain in on the letter you get with the BRP.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 12:39:44 PM »
They do explain in on the letter you get with the BRP.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

Ah, okay - good to know.

From what I gathered from a previous post, it sounded like all the letter said was that it expires on 31/12/2024 and not to worry about it... rather than actually explaining why it expires then.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 06:07:26 PM »
Thank you guys!

Also because this new card says it expires this year, I’m not sure how long it’s valid for.

I think it’s 5 years, but I’m not entirely sure.

Also where do you check for the digital info of your brp card?

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 09:44:19 PM »
Thank you guys!

Also because this new card says it expires this year, I’m not sure how long it’s valid for.

I think it’s 5 years, but I’m not entirely sure.

ILR is indefinite... as long as you continue to live in the UK, it never expires.

The BRP cards themselves used to be valid for 10 years, and had to be renewed with updated biometrics every 10 years (like UK driving licences) - unless of course you apply for UK citizenship before that - but as everything is moving online next year, this won't apply anymore as there will be no card to renew.

Though, you might need to submit updated biometrics to the online system in the future - we don't know how it will work yet.

Also where do you check for the digital info of your brp card?

We don't know yet.

The digital system isn't being implemented until Jan 1st 2025, and UKVI have not yet announced how it will work (even though they said they would publish information about it in early 2024)... so all you need to know at this stage is that your BRP will expire in December 2024 and that you will be able to check your status online after that.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab