Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do I still need a work permit?  (Read 441 times)

• Liked: 0
Do I still need a work permit?
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:50:09 PM »
I have been in the UK for about 8 months on a 1 year work permit obtained for me bu the company I work for. In 4 months I will be heading back to the US, but my employer wants me to come back to the UK every month or every other month for a week at a time to work in the UK. They seem to be of the belief that this would not require a work permit and I could just travel on my passport. To me it seems like I would still need a work permit, does anyone know? Also, would I need a UK drivers license to drive f I have been here for a year, leave for a month and then come back for a week?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Do I still need a work permit?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 08:07:07 PM »
Your primary location will be the US and you'll be paid in American dollars? 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 09:02:16 PM »
Small nitpick, phatbeetle.  Where they are nominally based and what currency their salary is denominated in doesn't matter. 

The only consideration is if they qualify as a Business Visitor.  If they do, then fine.  If not, then they need a proper travel document.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:36:37 PM »
Sorry, Garry, just was gathering some background information, and I that was what I going to find out, but didn't have time at that moment to look up the links and do some research

You're the expert anyways, so I'll let you take it away  ;D ;D ;D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:09:09 PM »
What a sweetie!  :-*

Business Visitors are an undesignated class within the Visitor Programme.  It's on the net some place.

For any research that you do, take to mind that they are *TRYING* to make Business Visitor a class of its own.  We are fighting it like crazy because said visitors will get preferred treatment at UK ports, like express queues, and ordinary mortals like bf's and gf's and relatives will be f*cked back at the end of the queue.   >:(

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »
This whole thing depends on what exactly you will be doing while in the UK.  It could come under a business visit visa, as Garry has said, or it could require a multiple entry visit visa.

It is a very fine line, and very complicated.

*And I think that Business Visit visa should be a seperate category from family or tourist visa - though don't necessarily think that it should give preference*  :P

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 11:34:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies, too bad it doesn't sound very clear cut. I think I will let the lawyers at Fragomen sort this one out for me just to be safe.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 11:48:44 PM »
I do wish you had said straight away that you had lawyers helping...it is useful to know.

::)

Vicky

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 09:08:52 AM »
I did not have lawyers helping, but I will now since I can see the issue is not straight-forward.

Sponsored Links