Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Coronavirus Positives Thread  (Read 16622 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Coronavirus Positives Thread
« on: March 19, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »
Okay, so much of this needs moaning about and I know it all sucks if you catch it, or someone you know dies from it, and there is a shedload of worry and stress and anger and confusion and no bog roll.    But maybe there are some positives? Please share, lets cheer each other up.

Mine are:

1.) I've positioned my working from home desk so I can see my chickens. They're actually hilarious and watching them is making me giggle!

2.) Going on lunchtime walks with my husband in the beautiful countryside by my house

3.) I'm finally catching up with laundry

4.) Being able to have a smelly poop during the workday without having to find the quietest toilet

5.) Being able to connect and Skype and Facetime the family more, because we're all home
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Coronavirus Positives Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 03:08:18 PM »
I'm looking forward to being a more involved Mom.  Not gonna lie, I was pretty excited to do drop off and pick up from the classroom.  But I look forward to us having some great bonding time.  Hopefully the weather will be "okay enough" to be outside lots in the garden.  I hope my daughter can learn how to ride a bike without training wheels (she pretty well mastered it in Florida) and get comfortable on a 2 wheel scooter.

I'm looking forward to getting organisation back in my life.

I'd also like to really address my weight and health.  Since baby #2, I've never gotten back to where I want to be.  I get winded climbing to the 2nd floor (3rd floor American) at work with all my bags and I want to improve my fitness.  I bought my husband a rowing machine for Christmas - he's ALWAYS wanted this exact one.  He's used it twice.   ;D  I'm going to make friends with it and just be cognizant of what I'm eating.  Not a diet.  Just adopting a healthier lifestyle.  I don't care about being fluffy (I'm short, it's hard to stay slim) but I would like to be healthy.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 03:17:17 PM »
There will be less pollution so the air will be cleaner. Less litter. Hopefully more pulling together and community spirit.  :)

On a personal level, I've got nothing!   :-\\\\

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 03:20:52 PM »
I love this thread!  Fantastic idea, PB!

Mine:

1.  I've never doubted it, but this situation we find ourselves in reminds me yet again just how much my husband loves me.

2.  Our day-to-day life just got very very weird (even more weird than it already was!), but we're settling into this new routine.  It may not be ideal, but it's feasible for as long as we need to do it.

3.  The last two nights, we played Minecraft together in a new world we created.  He played from the lounge, I played from the bedroom, and we chatted over headsets so we didn't have to yell, and it was just nice.  We could forget about everything else.

4.  I have a post on Facebook where I let my friends and family know that I took precautions early and that I should be safe, and the outpouring of love and support has been overwhelming.

5.  We never did fix the plumbing, so prior to this we were leaving the mains water off most of the time, and only turning it on as needed.  But now, because I'm "trapped" back here, and the stopcock is in the front of the house, my husband just leaves it on all the time so I have unlimited easy running water throughout the day.  No more going to the lounge to turn on the water before every job in the utili-kitchen or trip to the loo.  Yay!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 03:39:26 PM »
The government cancelled the planned tax changes that have made it impossible for me to find a new contract for the last 4 months.  It may be too late to make any difference, but better than a stick in the eye. 

• Liked: 720
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 03:40:35 PM »
Great thread idea.

1. I just updated my budget spreadsheet for the year and we are going to be way under budget because of the 2 holidays we just canceled, one being a Cunard cruise to New York.

2. No more sweating in the gym 4 days a week, more hiking in the hills is on the cards

3. More time for gardening, and getting the garage spring cleaned.

4. Following a 2 week vacation in France I decided I’d like a bidet so had one installed end of last year. No toilet paper worries in our household.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 03:43:10 PM »
4. Following a 2 week vacation in France I decided I’d like a bidet so had one installed end of last year. No toilet paper worries in our household.

Brilliant timing!

• Liked: 720
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 03:47:23 PM »
Brilliant timing!

Wasn’t it just!

When the plumber came to fit it he said that a few years ago everyone was getting one, but he rarely sees new ones these days. I wonder if that will change in the coming weeks.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 03:51:24 PM »
Agree about this being a great thread idea!!
There will be less pollution so the air will be cleaner. Less litter. Hopefully more pulling together and community spirit.  :)

Totally with you on this and was thinking the same!! Also more walking and exercising than people would normally be making time for.

I enjoy working from home as it gives me a but longer of a lay in in the morning and i can destress with pup cuddles during the day.

More time to finish reading books ive started and catching up on netflix due to the need to stay inside. Also more time that my husband and i can make the extra effort to play pur boardgames weve been neglecting.

Been writing more than ive made time to do before, which i consider positive.

I'm part of a few groups online where the community has been brought together more now than ever and that's been lovely and positive. Musicians i love are putting on free, live FB shows that people across the world can enjoy together in unison and there's been lots of bonus content for podcasts being created. There's been more of a sense of community than I've seen in a while as of late.

Also, big one, it's reminded a lot about appreciation for the little things and a reminder that we're not alone.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 03:53:01 PM »
Wasn’t it just!

When the plumber came to fit it he said that a few years ago everyone was getting one, but he rarely sees new ones these days. I wonder if that will change in the coming weeks.
Since our first trip to Japan, I've been wanting a toto/smart (bidet) toilet so bad! Hah

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 03:58:16 PM »
The virus is not directly affecting my day-to-day life yet... for now, we're still carrying on as normal, but are preparing for it and putting contingencies in place (we currently have 12 people in isolation on the island, 3 with cold-like symptoms, and 12 who were in close contact with them the evening they arrived here).

But, positives so far are:

1) Increased interaction with friends and family on social media. I can't video-call easily here without using up my data, but it's been really cool to be communicating daily on WhatsApp with friends in various countries, seeing how they are coping, and all acting as a support for each other

2) Building on number 1, how everyone around the world is in the same situation and therefore are banding together in solidarity to help out and see things through... like, museums offering online tours, and musicians performing online shows, and the cool/fun videos people are posting from around the world.

3) The fact that today's technology allows not only numbers 1 and 2 to happen, but also allows us to work from home and still keep in contact with the world. Imagine if this happened 20 to 30 years ago when the internet was still in its infancy and we couldn't work or shop or communicate online while at home.

4) The fact that I cannot travel home through Florida has saved me probably about £1,000 (on Disney Park Tickets, Disney hotel, 3 days of food and US shopping), plus I made a bit of money transferring USD back into GBP yesterday

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 04:09:10 PM »

Did you see this article, larrabee?  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51944780

On a personal level, you've got all of us.  We'll get through this.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 04:18:36 PM »
Did you see this article, larrabee?  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51944780

I hadn't seen that.  But good news. :)

On a personal level, you've got all of us.  We'll get through this.

Thank you!  :) 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 04:50:12 PM »

I keep explaining to people that toilet paper is a “nice to have” and not a necessity.  So long as you have soap.  SOAP is a necessity!

• Liked: 677
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 05:20:34 PM »
Today was the first day of Spring, wasn't it? The weather was really nice when we were out walking. Puffy white clouds in a blue sky, and it only spit hail on us once in two hours of "out" time, and just for a moment.  ;D  The air is really clean out today. The pollen count is probably approaching astronomical heights, but the flowers are starting to come out and it was lovely out. (snurf)

And people are finally, FINALLY, giving each other a wide berth when passing on the sidewalk rather than ramming shoulders into you.  ;D

Sponsored Links