Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Coronavirus Positives Thread  (Read 16621 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Coronavirus Positives Thread
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2020, 07:13:34 PM »
My husband's guitar was delivered by 11am today.  I only placed the order around 3pm yesterday.  We are mystified by the state of the world today, where we can get a guitar delivered to our door less than 24 hours after placing the order, but we are all struggling to get basic necessities.

But the guitar!  It's soooo much better than his electric-without-an-amp.  He's been playing almost constantly since it arrived.  He's pleased with it, and that pleases me.  Yay yay!

Edited to add:  And in about a year, I'll hopefully get to try it out.  We bought one that we hope will be a good fit for me, and later we'll get him one that's better suited to his size/frame, and then we'll sit in the garden and be hippies.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2020, 07:15:41 PM »
My husband's guitar was delivered by 11am today.  I only placed the order around 3pm yesterday.  We are mystified by the state of the world today, where we can get a guitar delivered to our door less than 24 hours after placing the order, but we are all struggling to get basic necessities.

But the guitar!  It's soooo much better than his electric-without-an-amp.  He's been playing almost constantly since it arrived.  He's pleased with it, and that pleases me.  Yay yay!

Edited to add:  And in about a year, I'll hopefully get to try it out.  We bought one that we hope will be a good fit for me, and later we'll get him one that's better suited to his size/frame, and then we'll sit in the garden and be hippies.

Yay!  [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif]

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2020, 07:53:18 PM »
The Tesco shop I booked just before all the slots filled up three weeks ago has arrived. We got everything (almost) that we ordered. The poor driver - a young, slender woman - hefted six rather full green bins up our steps to the lift, and was just exhausted. We had asked that she just leave everything in the very large bins we left outside our front door, but she left all the Tesco green bins and drove away instead.

Whatever. They said on the phone someone would come 'round to get them sometime.

I pretty much had doubled our usual shop. Spent way too much, assuming it'd be almost forever before I could get another slot. And then after it came I checked and was able to get another slot in 10 days. (Figures.) So, as long as they don't cancel that one we should not have to set foot outside for a good month.  ;D

Color me a happy camper.
  Did you manage to get strong flour?  That seems to be the thing everyone wants.

By the way, I had three people come and collect sourdough starter from me today.  I've got so much of the stuff and it makes really good bread.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »
  Did you manage to get strong flour?  That seems to be the thing everyone wants.

By the way, I had three people come and collect sourdough starter from me today.  I've got so much of the stuff and it makes really good bread.

Flour free household here.  Well, we have corn flour.  :)  Just for thickening things here and there.

• Liked: 424
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2020, 08:20:20 PM »
Flour free household here.  Well, we have corn flour.  :)  Just for thickening things here and there.
Or......Cornbread!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2020, 08:36:16 PM »
Cornflour wouldn’t make very good cornbread I’m afraid. Same thing in the US is cornstarch.

Polenta is good for making cornbread though. Yum!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2020, 08:37:02 PM »
Or......Cornbread!
I think you're thinking of cornmeal :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 424
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2020, 08:37:19 PM »
Cornflour wouldn’t make very good cornbread I’m afraid. Same thing in the US is cornstarch.

Polenta is good for making cornbread though. Yum!

Oops! In that case.......

« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2020, 08:44:34 PM »
Or......Cornbread!

Rick, I unpacked today after being home for 4 weeks.  I feel pretty confident, you won't catch me making bread in the kitchen anytime soon.  Though I did find a pack of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix in the pantry.... I can add water and stir!  ;D

To be fair, I'm a decent cook.  I don't bake though. 

« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2020, 10:33:32 AM »
Doh!  Why do I keep forgetting?

« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2020, 11:23:37 AM »
Doh!  Why do I keep forgetting?

We don’t care.  Last thing I would expect is for anyone here to know what’s in my cupboard!

We do have some cake and brownie mixes. I’m going to make brownies with the kids this afternoon.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2020, 11:46:10 AM »
Hey jimbo, maybe having a CPAP machine will save your life now! (Hopefully you don't need supplies though, because you'll never get them again)

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2020, 03:00:31 PM »
Hey jimbo, maybe having a CPAP machine will save your life now! (Hopefully you don't need supplies though, because you'll never get them again)

I'm not really sure this is good new for me.  I could see someone actually stealing my machine which would suck.
It does raise an interesting question about whether or not I would  donate my machine to save a life when it would significantly harm my quality of life.  Luckily, I think we are a ways away from that. 

I read a post on LinkedIn the other day from a guy who bought a ventilator for himself.  I don't even know if the had any idea how to use it, I guess he thought he could bring it with him to the hospital. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:02:33 PM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 958
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »
Disabled people whose lives rely on ventilators are actually afraid to go to the hospital for any care right now, because many places have policies that they can be taken for patients with a better chance at a "quality" life. It's horrifying. This crisis has shown that disabled lives matter very little to the powers that be. Thank goodness for the community volunteer groups looking out for everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2020, 03:39:15 PM »
I read a post on LinkedIn the other day from a guy who bought a ventilator for himself.  I don't even know if the had any idea how to use it, I guess he thought he could bring it with him to the hospital.

Yeah, he'd need more than a little help hooking himself up to it!

Sponsored Links