Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travel insurance to usa  (Read 1686 times)

• Liked: 18
Travel insurance to usa
« on: September 13, 2023, 12:01:15 PM »
It's been ages since I've posted a question here, but I'm rather stumped on this topic.  My British husband and I (us citizen with permanent uk residency) are traveling to the us this Christmas and I'm looking for travel insurance.  We are now both over 65 and have medicare A coverage, so not sure what, if any, medical insurance we need for the trip.  Does anyone have any recommendations as to insurance carrier, and/or what coverage we need.  We do want cancellation coverage in any case.

Thanks in advance for any help.   :)
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• Liked: 344
Re: Travel insurance to usa
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 02:12:58 PM »
My British husband and I (us citizen with permanent uk residency) are traveling to the us this Christmas and I'm looking for travel insurance.  We are now both over 65 and have medicare A coverage, so not sure what, if any, medical insurance we need for the trip.

You will need travel insurance with healthcare cover, as you want cover for any countries between the UK and the US (and for anything Medicare A doesn't cover in the US).

You don't know if your plane will be diverted and you get ill there, or whether either of you become ill on the plane and they have to land, or if you will need to repatriated to the UK.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 02:19:05 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 03:01:48 PM »
Thanks Sirius! That makes sense.  Do you have any insurance carrier recommendations?

• Liked: 1894
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 05:47:06 PM »
I usually use a comparison site and pick one that has the features I want:
https://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 06:01:21 PM »
Thanks!  I'll look at that site.  It's so nice knowing someone has had success with it.  Thanks to the pandemic it's been way too long since we traveled.

• Liked: 681
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 12:47:50 AM »
It's been ages since I've posted a question here, but I'm rather stumped on this topic.  My British husband and I (us citizen with permanent uk residency) are traveling to the us this Christmas and I'm looking for travel insurance.  We are now both over 65 and have medicare A coverage, so not sure what, if any, medical insurance we need for the trip.  Does anyone have any recommendations as to insurance carrier, and/or what coverage we need.  We do want cancellation coverage in any case.

Thanks in advance for any help.   :)

Medicare part A only covers expenses while you are hospitalized, and there is a co-insurance you might have to pay. If you are traveling to a state where medical professionals or institutions are allowed to charge "excess" of what Medicare pays, you could be stuck with a pretty big bill. As it is, you'd have to pay about the first $1,500 for care under part A.  https://www.healthline.com/health/medicare/medicare-part-a#costs   So you're smart to be looking for a temporary policy!

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 08:05:59 AM »
Thanks!  As we live in the UK it didn't seem necessary to pay for a medicare B plan, but I sure do get the feeling it's worth paying for if you live in the US!

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2023, 11:06:15 PM »
Thanks!  As we live in the UK it didn't seem necessary to pay for a medicare B plan, but I sure do get the feeling it's worth paying for if you live in the US!

Medicare plan A is free to most people. Medicare plan "B" runs roughly $165 a month and covers doctors' services, most tests, etc. Or, rather, up to about 80% of those fees. And it doesn't cover all tests, although usually if the doctor recommends something it does cover.  I have purchased a "Medi-Gap" plan that covers that 20%, at a cost of about another $185 a month.

You wouldn't think, from the sound of it, that 20% could be that much, but oh, dearie me, it certainly can be.  One set of labs that I had a couple of years ago cost about $5,400. So, 20% of that, plus 20% of a CAT scan and MRI, plus a sonogram, plus the GP visits (plus co-pay of $20) made the Medigap a no-brainer. The full charges for my GP, had I been paying cash for my last 15 minute visit, would have been over $500. So between Part B (that has about a $225 per year deductible) and my Medigap plan, because I'd already paid the deductible for 2023, my visit cost a total of $20 and there were no charges for any of the labs or other tests that were done (courtesy of Part B). The big appeal of Part B plus a Medigap plan is that I can see any doctor in the country, as long as they accept Medicare and are willing to take me on a a patient. I also have to have a Plan D for pharmacy benefits. There are dozens of those as well, but I'm on a cheap plan at $10 a month with small co-pays for medication. Because I have no significant medication needs, that works. Otherwise I might need to change to a plan that covered specialized medicines with a higher premium cost.

A lot of people go with a Medicare Advantage plan, (Plan C, I think). It folds Plan A, Plan B, and usually Plan D into one program run by an entity other than the government, with the government's blessing.  It's usually ~ much ~ cheaper, but is managed care. You have to see specific doctors, the plans each have specific things they'll pay or not pay, and there can be some sizable deductibles per year. Medication is folded into those plans as well, but there may be limits on which medications they'll pay for - even if a doctor orders one, they may not pay for it. And there can be "gotchas" involved. As in, it's possible that if you're in the hospital in the last week in December and have like a $4,500 out of pocket amount per year that you have to pay before the plan kicks in, when January rolls around you get to pay another $4,500 if you are still in the hospital, even for the same illness/reason.  The devil is in the details of those plans. There are dozens of them and they're all different.

It sounds and it is complicated - you really have to do you homework, because you're pretty much locked in for a year with what you select.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 11:09:32 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2023, 07:03:06 PM »
Thank you for the very useful information on medicare!  I'll have to save this in case I need it in the future.  I'll admit that medical costs in the US are terrifying, and I find myself hoping that I'm never faced with the need to move back to the US.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2023, 08:18:43 PM »
You're welcome. Sorry to be so long-winded about it, but there is no short way to get all the information in.

I just opened an envelope today that has info about my Plan D Drug Coverage for next year. The premium is tripling. Since I almost never use it, that stings. On the good side, they are dropping the deductible by half starting in 2024 (I think that was recently mandated by federal law) and more of the drugs on the "tier 1" level (cheap generics) will be free. But I'm only paying $4 a month for what I use, so that doesn't come near to balancing up with the staggering premium increase. (Sigh.)  I have no idea what they have taken off the formulary list and what they've added, as that information won't be available until October 1, per the banner on their website. I'll, at that point, have a month to sort out if I need to switch to another plan.

Time to shop around again, I guess!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab