Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you  (Read 108908 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »
I was thinking recently about what I would want and be unable to get when I move back. I ended up thinking it wouldn't be a lot because so often you get hooked on a particular product and then they discontinue or change it anyway. And I'm not gonna cry over no more Hanes undies or Kraft mac and cheese or whatever -- because I'll find something just as good. I think the real killer is that similar things in the UK will cost more. But so will shipping over the American products. Better to bite the bullet and get used to it. [I will miss apple sauce though ...]

I agree completely. It doesn't take long to get used to different things. I'm going back to the US on Friday for a holiday and I honestly can't think of anything I want to buy there. I prefer everything here. The only thing I'll be bringing back is a giant bottle of ibuprofen.

(Make your own apple sauce! It's dead easy!)  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »
I was thinking recently about what I would want and be unable to get when I move back. I ended up thinking it wouldn't be a lot because so often you get hooked on a particular product and then they discontinue or change it anyway. And I'm not gonna cry over no more Hanes undies or Kraft mac and cheese or whatever -- because I'll find something just as good. I think the real killer is that similar things in the UK will cost more. But so will shipping over the American products. Better to bite the bullet and get used to it. [I will miss apple sauce though ...]

I have learned to do without Kraft Mac & Cheese but I like my Hanes socks & undies way tooo much to try something new. ::)  :P that's 1 thing I always get at least 2 packs of each while were home. ;)  :)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2011, 03:51:37 PM »

(Make your own apple sauce! It's dead easy!)  :)
Oh, I did. And I loved it with lots of spices and Muscovado sugar. But I did miss the convenience of opening a jar of the ready made stuff to use instead of fat called for in a recipe. Or if your tum was a little off.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2011, 10:22:47 PM »
Huh. I've never seen anything like that. And I shop a lot!

I guess I am sensitive to it because every time my SIL takes me shopping with her, she makes a bee-line for all of it. LOL. But hey, regions are different. Like, I never got summer shoes in NY because Florida had better selections and I visited my family every year. etc.

« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2011, 09:26:22 AM »
The tops and dresses where I live in East Midlands are plagued with the ugliest granny lace stuff.  either the top back will be lace or it will have a lace overlay. But its horrid and cheap looking and everyone buys it. The summer stuff doesn't seem to have much of it at the moment but its still there.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, or the bearer of potentially bad fashion (lol)  but those lace-backed tops you are describing are all the rage among middle and high schoolers in the US right now.  Maybe the UK actually imported the trend from us ; )

« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2011, 04:54:35 PM »
[I will miss apple sauce though ...]

Seriously? Applesauce can't be found over there?  [smiley=cry2.gif] I will have to ask my OH to check this out for me.

« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »
Seriously? Applesauce can't be found over there?  [smiley=cry2.gif] I will have to ask my OH to check this out for me.
They do have a sort of applesauce (can't remember, is it Crosse & Blackwell? somebody like that) Sort of more like a chutney. And it's probably fine as a condiment. But it's not something you would use in recipes.
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »
They do have a sort of applesauce (can't remember, is it Crosse & Blackwell? somebody like that) Sort of more like a chutney. And it's probably fine as a condiment. But it's not something you would use in recipes.

Yeah, I bought it once for a snack at work. It was decent, in that it was apple-based, but definitely not the same texture/taste.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2011, 05:45:24 PM »
whole foods has applesauce

« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2011, 05:49:35 PM »
whole foods has applesauce
Alas! They do not seem to be making inroads up North yet. But you are right, some of the smaller local health food shops had something similar to Motts.
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »
Alas! They do not seem to be making inroads up North yet. But you are right, some of the smaller local health food shops had something similar to Motts.

i think one just opened in glasgow...or is soon?  maybe more will open eventually.

« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2011, 07:02:47 PM »
i think one just opened in glasgow...or is soon?  maybe more will open eventually.
Fingers crossed  ;) I live just around the corner from one here in Greater Boston land and will definitely miss that place.
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2011, 05:06:46 AM »
So what I gather from readin this particular post is that the MUSTS to bring with me are: measuring cups/measuring spoons, pancake pan and/or griddle, any favorite particular sauces (since the ones in the UK require getting used to), all the photos that matter, favorite books and the California sunshine ;D. I can do all of those, but the weather may be a little over the weight limit allowed on flight haha  ;)
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »

So what I gather from readin this particular post is that the MUSTS to bring with me are: measuring cups/measuring spoonscolor]

I wouldn't bother bringing measuring/cups and spoons, they are easy enough to get here. Every place that sells kitchen stuff sells them, including Poundland.
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #194 on: July 15, 2011, 11:14:13 AM »
I wouldn't bother bringing measuring/cups and spoons, they are easy enough to get here. Every place that sells kitchen stuff sells them, including Poundland.

Small note about the above..UK measuring cups do not hold the same amount as American! I have found this out recently after living here almost 15yr and wondering why some of my USA recipes weren't coming out quite right...If you plan on using USA recipes I would bring USA measuring cups and also buy some measuring cups from here for UK recipes..just my opinion.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab