Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 514303 times)

• Liked: 223
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #7815 on: May 23, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »
Well I don't anymore. I went through when we moved house and through those suckers out! He had some with a best before date of before we had even met!

Once when we were at FIL's for a birthday or something, we mentioned the out of date spices and jars of Indian pickle in his cupboard (years out of date). He said we could go through them and sort the in date and out of date spices. We make one pile on the counter and the rest back in the cupboard. We asked him to take a look before we tossed them in case he really wanted to keep anything. He pointed to the (significantly smaller) group of spices in the cupboard and said 'oh, is that all that was out of date? not too shabby'. We then told him those in the cupboard were in date. It was the massive mountain of spices on the counter that was out of date. He took half the pile and put it in the cupboard.

We recently washed some of FIL's spice tubs. Some are the old old old (imagine old, then make it a bit older) Sainsbury's logo. Like from the 80s. DH was pretty sure they'd never been washed. They just get topped up with salt, masala and turmeric. They're plastic, so all stained with spices and food splatters.

Between that and the many other food safety transgressions committed by him and grand-FIL (they don't wash hands, never wash the kitchen counters and they happily store rat poison and cleaning chemicals near human food), I no longer eat food he cooks. ::)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 958
« Reply #7816 on: May 23, 2018, 03:52:30 PM »

Between that and the many other food safety transgressions committed by him and grand-FIL (they don't wash hands, never wash the kitchen counters and they happily store rat poison and cleaning chemicals near human food), I no longer eat food he cooks. ::)

Eeeek. I won't eat what my MIL cooks because she doesn't understand allergies. But that's another level of gross!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7817 on: May 23, 2018, 05:15:25 PM »
Those other things are indeed serious problems, but out of date spices?  I don't care.  I'm sure most of our spices are out of date.  It's only a problem if they don't work any more.  I try to replace the baking powder and baking soda within a year or two of the expiry dates.

« Reply #7818 on: May 23, 2018, 07:30:17 PM »
Those other things are indeed serious problems, but out of date spices?  I don't care.  I'm sure most of our spices are out of date.  It's only a problem if they don't work any more.  I try to replace the baking powder and baking soda within a year or two of the expiry dates.
The issue with baking soda and powder is they stop working as well once moisture gets into em, and that starts as soon as they're open. I replace mine every 6 months or end up with baking disasters.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7819 on: May 23, 2018, 08:46:39 PM »

Spices just lose potency when they're past their expiry date, especially chili pepper. Though I've never had an issue with black peppercorns.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7820 on: May 24, 2018, 08:46:33 AM »
Once when we were at FIL's for a birthday or something, we mentioned the out of date spices and jars of Indian pickle in his cupboard (years out of date). He said we could go through them and sort the in date and out of date spices. We make one pile on the counter and the rest back in the cupboard. We asked him to take a look before we tossed them in case he really wanted to keep anything. He pointed to the (significantly smaller) group of spices in the cupboard and said 'oh, is that all that was out of date? not too shabby'. We then told him those in the cupboard were in date. It was the massive mountain of spices on the counter that was out of date. He took half the pile and put it in the cupboard.

We recently washed some of FIL's spice tubs. Some are the old old old (imagine old, then make it a bit older) Sainsbury's logo. Like from the 80s. DH was pretty sure they'd never been washed. They just get topped up with salt, masala and turmeric. They're plastic, so all stained with spices and food splatters.

That was like our cupboard when we moved from our flat to our house now. I went through all the spices my husband had accumulated over the years of living in the flat and had ones from back in 2013. There were ones that were like 2006 or around that point because it was one that one of his friends had taken from his mum's house before moving in yearrrrs ago. I was like Yeeeep they are all going. They were at the point were it was all clumped together and I just couldn't deal with that combined with the fact it was 5 years past it's "use-by" date.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7821 on: May 24, 2018, 09:32:39 AM »
That was like our cupboard when we moved from our flat to our house now. I went through all the spices my husband had accumulated over the years of living in the flat and had ones from back in 2013. There were ones that were like 2006 or around that point because it was one that one of his friends had taken from his mum's house before moving in yearrrrs ago. I was like Yeeeep they are all going. They were at the point were it was all clumped together and I just couldn't deal with that combined with the fact it was 5 years past it's "use-by" date.

All clumped together grosses me out!  That IS a sign it’s time to toss.

« Reply #7822 on: May 24, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »

THANK YOU!
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7823 on: May 24, 2018, 04:30:44 PM »
it’s time to toss.
Be sure to look that up on your urban dictionary!

« Reply #7824 on: May 24, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »

sadly I don't even need to haha  :o ::)
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7825 on: May 24, 2018, 06:14:12 PM »

sadly I don't even need to haha  :o ::)

Okay, I started to "like" this, but then I thought it made me look weird.  But, yeah.  Sadly, no need to look that up.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 223
« Reply #7826 on: May 24, 2018, 10:25:57 PM »

A lot of the ones we threw out (or tried to throw out) were clumped together. Im sure bacteria grows if moisture is accumulating.

The spices in FIL's cupboard get refilled from larger bags of spices but the containers and spoons/scoops are never washed... And the big bags of spices are stored near chemicals. :-\\\\
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 533
« Reply #7827 on: May 25, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
I try to replace the baking powder and baking soda within a year or two of the expiry dates.

Now if only you would ditch those tighty whities you have had since the US Festival....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #7828 on: May 29, 2018, 11:03:00 AM »
My husband somehow managed to lose his wedding ring while we were out this weekend. :( He didn't lose his grandmother's band that he wears on his other hand which makes me happy because that is completely irreplaceable, but it still stinks. I wanted to get a nicer one at some point because we were on a budget when I bought his and the white gold was getting scratched, but right now I can't afford to both replace it and go to the US in the fall. I don't want to use savings for either because we dipped into those enough this year already. *sigh*

I'm still recovering from the night out and probably will be for the rest of the week, but it was nice to meet his friends and hear some good music even if I couldn't dance. I hid backstage for most of the night (cuz the club lights were also too much for me) while he danced like crazy and had so much fun. I realised if we'd parked at a tube station and taken that into London I wouldn't have had to stay out all night, so next time I'll be DD and just do that. There is so much good music in London that I wish I could catch more!

« Reply #7829 on: May 29, 2018, 11:08:45 AM »
Oh no! :( That's a total bummer! Could you maybe look to get a new ring when you're back in the US? It will likely be cheaper and will give you time to save back up. Hopefully it'll turn up in the most random of places. Have you tried calling the venue you were at and leaving info in case it turns up??

Always park at Westfields if you can when going into London. It's fairly cheap for all day parking and the tube stop is right there. We do that every time we're going to a gig in London where we might be out too late to get a train back.
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab