Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How did your dog take the flight/move?  (Read 10560 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: How did your dog take the flight/move?
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2005, 04:10:16 PM »
nope, I'm always surprise at how many stride/striders there are.
here's our boy: http://www.dogster.com/?80281

There's your dogey! Thanks for the clarification.

This dog of yours has a big heart.

I had a dog, a German Shephard, that was abused by previous owners too. Wow, how grateful she was to have us loving her. She was an incredible dog.

We put a simple 'slip choke-collar' on her for week whilst training her and we never had to put a collar or leash on her again. She would take a command on a dime.

Now...have I told you about my Siberian Husky? The dog--where you break into the house and the dog helps you take out the furniture? Shows you where the jewels are? I've spoken of her before. She grew up to be a sled-racer.

"The artist is not a person endowed with free will who seeks his own ends, but one who allows art to realize its purposes through him. As a human being he may have moods and a will and personal aims, but as an artist he is 'man' in a higher sense - he is 'collective man', a vehicle and molder of the unconscious psychic life of mankind"
--Carl Jung

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2005, 04:24:38 PM »
Strider is adorable!!!  What a cute smile!  You can tell that he is just a big love bug! 
I just love hearing about doggie happy endings - our pets become such a big part of our lives, it's hard to believe that there was a time in their lives where nobody in the world wanted them.  It makes me tear up just thinking about it! 
I had a subscription to Bark magazine (www.thebark.com) when I was in the US.  I love that magazine so much (it's the New Yorker for dogs), that I'm having them ship my issues to me here in Scotland for 20 pounds a year, a small price to pay! 

No price is too small to pay for the love of dogs. I love dogs. I only have the 2 cats here now. I always had dogs previous....

And don't you love pet stories?

We had a stray dog here for a time. My male cat would sit and smack his paw on the dog's nose. Funny as hell. Here was this 10 lb cat smacking around a 75 lb dog.

It was kitty abuse.

lol

"The artist is not a person endowed with free will who seeks his own ends, but one who allows art to realize its purposes through him. As a human being he may have moods and a will and personal aims, but as an artist he is 'man' in a higher sense - he is 'collective man', a vehicle and molder of the unconscious psychic life of mankind"
--Carl Jung

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2005, 02:58:24 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Jane Edwards, BKS International Pet Shipping in Houston.  Thank you for the kind words Vera.  I am not here to drum up business (although that would be nice), I am here to try and answer any questions you may have.  Although I only work out of Houston, I have contacts in most major cities and ship pets to the UK at least twice a week, sometimes more.  I have a beautiful Ragdoll cat going to London today for a client.

I've been a professional pet relocator for wow, it it really 20 years!  Time flies when you are having fun!.  I am a brand new US citizen, originally from Nottingham, England.

The only entry point at this time that a pet can enter the UK without any quarantine at all is London.  For other locations there is a 2-7 days mandatory quarantine and an import permit (boarding document) and we travel in under what is called "early release".  This is because there is not an Animal Reception Centre in other cities at this point.  I use one specific agent in London who I have worked with for about 15 years now, Ladyhaye International Quarantine Kennels (aka Ladyhaye International Pet Transport) in Surrey.  They meet my pets on arrival, clear customs and the vet check and meet my clients (if on the same flight) or deliver.  Very reliable.

The main problem we are running into is the microchip.  If you have any questions I can go into the 4 types of chip available here in the USA and which is ISO, ISO compatible or US only.  I can tell by the number.  The second hold up is not using the right forms.  The health certificate or form APHIS 7001, the one printed sideways with the USDA seal, certificate number and the colored copies must be completed within 10 days of travel.  The EU form or the annexe is the vet certificate and can be done up to 120 days prior to entry.  This is strictly a validation form as a document check and not a health certificate.  The form should read 3-12-04 in the top left hand corner and if you need the link to it, please let me know.  The one on the DEFRA helpsite is wrong!! I kid you not.  All signatures on the health cert and vet cert should be in any other color than black!

Anyway, I will check in once a day and see if there are any issues I can help with.  The most important thing is that you get your pets there safely with NO hold ups and I'll do my best to guide you.

Look forward to talking with you
Jane

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2005, 06:04:38 PM »
Thanks Jane for contributing to the website.  That's very kind of you to offer the skills and knowledge you have to help get our pets safely across the pond.

I guess I have some clarification issues:

I was confused about your comment about the APHIS form needing to be completed 10 days before departure.  I found the site that says that: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/fsheet_faq_notice/fs_awpetravel.html   This contradicts everything I have come across, including my conversation with the USDA.  They say that the certificate they approve and give you (mail you) is good for 4 months.   It is the Third Country Vet certificate that needs to be fully completed 24-48 hours before departure (meaning the last steps of tape worming, etc are completed).  Am I right?  so confusing!

Second, I wanted to let you and people on the site know that London is actually not the only receiving point in the UK.  Bristol Int. is accepting pets from certain countries, you can see the list at my other post: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=15835.msg178226#msg178226

So theoretically, you could fly to one of these countries first, then to Bristol.  DEFRA also informed me that it is just a matter of time (hopefully short) till Bristol is accepting pets from NYC (Newark and most likely Continental who is waiting confirmation).

Lastly, I was wondering if you could provide the links for the forms you mentioned.  That is one thing I have noticed on DEFRA (and other sites), is very contradicting information on what forms are needed, who fills them out, etc.

So far, I've been using this one: http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/dat/2004/l_065/l_06520040303en00130019.pdf

It's the most up to date one I've found.

Thank you again for your help and input - I'm sure you are providing invaluable information for myself and others on this site.
-Grant

The world we have created is a product of our thinking;
it cannot be changed without changing our thinking.
                                                        ‹ Albert Einstein

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2005, 08:53:47 PM »
Hi Grant, thanks for posting but you really have some bad info....

Question:
They say that the certificate they approve and give you (mail you) is good for 4 months.
Answer: Yes, that is quite correct - that is the Vet Certificate which can be completed within 120 days of shipping as long as you have the titer results.

Question: It is the Third Country Vet certificate that needs to be fully completed 24-48 hours before departure (meaning the last steps of tape worming, etc are completed).  Am I right?  so confusing!
Answer: No, you are totally incorrect, the US accredited veterinarian (your regular vet that is, if he is indeed accredited) must complete the APHIS form 7001 International Health Certificate for Small Animals within TEN DAYS OF DEPARTURE.  this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the tick and tape!!  The Tick and Tape details are actually on the EU Vet form currently dated 3-12-04 and the tick and tape details are completed more than 24 hours but less than 48 hours before departure.  that part of the form does not have to be endorsed by the USDA Official (Federal) vet.  this is because, in most cases, it is near impossible to get the endorsement in the 24-48 hour time frame.

Question: Second, I wanted to let you and people on the site know that London is actually not the only receiving point in the UK.  Bristol Int. is accepting pets from certain countries, you can see the list at my other post: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=15835.msg178226#msg178226 
Answer: I didn't say it was.  However it is the ONLY entrance point without a delay of several days.

Question: So theoretically, you could fly to one of these countries first, then to Bristol.  DEFRA also informed me that it is just a matter of time (hopefully short) till Bristol is accepting pets from NYC (Newark and most likely Continental who is waiting confirmation).
Answer: Wrong, you must fly on a direct flight from the departure country to the UK and clearance is at the first point of entry in the UK.  For examply I fly to Edinburgh from Houston on Continental via New York and then direct to Edinburgh with early release of 5 days in Edinburgh.  However, I also have the option, on smaller animals, that if the destination in Aberdeen which is not a customs airport, I can fly direct from Houston to London, have clearance and overnight in London and then fly domestic to Aberdeen the next day, assuming of course all these pets qualify under the Pets scheme.

Question: Lastly, I was wondering if you could provide the links for the forms you mentioned.  That is one thing I have noticed on DEFRA (and other sites), is very contradicting information on what forms are needed, who fills them out, etc.
Answer: Yes, I can give you the link ONLY for the EU form.  The health certificate is a government issued form direct to your vet.  In fact its the certificate number off of the APHIS 7001 that becomes the certificate number on the EU annexe which appears below.

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/lex/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2004/l_358/l_35820041203en00120017.pdf

Question:
So far, I've been using this one: http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/dat/2004/l_065/l_06520040303en00130019.pdf

It's the most up to date one I've found.
Answer: Funny, even DEFRA don't have the proper form listed on their site and yet it is a major point of contention on arrival.

Comments: Please make sure the veterinarian that starts all your paperwork is not only accredited but can do the microchip and has a reader.  It is very important.  I am running into vets who order chips by mail, implant them and then don't have a reader.  They go strictly by the number on the sticky labels that accompany the chip and don't even scan when they do the health and vet certificates even though they are stating that they do check.  They don't seem to understand how important this is.  Arrival in the UK is not the best place to first scan the chip and that's what is happening.  Another major problem is the chip number being entered incorrectly by the vets office on the titer application form and the fact that many vets are still using the AVID encrypted chip, the one that reads 123*456*789 (9 digits separated by asterisks).  This is NOT an ISO compatible chip.  However it can be read in London in most cases because they now have an AVID scanner.

OK hope that helps
Thanks
Jane 

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2005, 10:03:06 PM »
Jane. Hi. I am bringing my pets in to southampton on the QM2, and was assured that they are released right off the ship as all documents are done there as far as checking the paperwork and reading the chip. It,s just recently been approved. Are you saying you know different? please let me know as I dont want to arrive and have them taken into quarentine! :o thank you
calle
I would not seek the desert, or red palaces.Where reigns the sun, nor sail to magic isles......
For here is heartsease still, and deep content.
The Elves here holy and immortal dwell, and on the stones and trees there lies a spell.       J.R.R. Tolkien

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2005, 01:08:20 AM »
Hi Calle,

No, you are OK, by ship you are correct, no worries - wow what an exciting way to go!  As I only ship by air and I forget about sea as I don't get involved with that.

Have a terrific trip
Jane

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2005, 04:12:25 AM »
Thanks Jane for the info.

you clarified a number of things.

and just so I have it crystal clear - the APHIS 7100 is only in the hand of my accredited vet.  So, he will most likely fill this out at the same time I get the tape worm stuff down 24-48 hours before, thus qualifying it in the "10 days before" category.  Is this correct?

Lastly, how important is it to use the 2.12.2004 form versus the 27.11.2003 form?  Is there a 2005 form I should look out for too?  I'm so glad you entered this forum a couple days before I was sending my forms to the USDA!

thanks again,
Grant

The world we have created is a product of our thinking;
it cannot be changed without changing our thinking.
                                                        ‹ Albert Einstein

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2005, 02:54:29 PM »
Hi Grant,

Yes the APHIS 7001 is issued to an accredited veterinarian.  The serial number is logged to that vet and the vet will complete this form before you get it.  There is a place for you to sign to confirm details are correct and a space for the USDA (official) vet to sign.

I can't stress how important it is to use the correct EU form.

Other pitfalls - make sure the rabies certificate bears the correct microchip number, make sure the rabies certificate is signed and not stamped and make sure the signature is in any other color than black unless it was done prior to 1 Jan 2005 and then a black "real" signature is acceptable. 

Another thing, if you use a Home Again chip and register it, make sure the date on the registration is correct - remember it must be the same date as or prior to the rabies vaccination and titer draw.   If it is incorrect contact CAR (the registration division of AKC) and they will issue a correction.  I have noticed that the newer registrations bear the implant date.

Jane

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2005, 11:22:19 PM »
Jane,

You so SO rulez. Thanks for showing up.

My vet has totally messed up with the paperwork for my 2 cats. Nothing is even remotely in order. The rabies paperwork doesn't have the microchip number.

The blood work? He gives me a copy. One of his assistants called me yesterday and said, "you have to handle it with USDA."

Can you advise on a pet shipper out of EWR? I just want to get these two animals to London.

Thanks,
Karen

--Carl Jung

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2005, 07:13:48 AM »
Thank you do much Jane! I wish you worked out of Seattle. I am leaving in only two weeks and there is an additional two months before my pets can come over with the Pet Scheme. I have been in contact with PetTransporter Worldwide.

http://www.pettransporter.com

Do you know if they are credible? Do you have any referrals for agencies from the Seattle area? I am going to have to completely trust the agency I hire to bring my Keesha (doggie) over to me in England and a few months after that, my two cats. It is so scary to put my babies in the hands of people I don't know.

Cheryl

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2005, 11:45:04 AM »
Thank you do much Jane!
Cheryl

Sounds like a Beatle song.

"love love you do. You know I love you."

;)
--Carl Jung

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2005, 02:44:44 PM »
Chneryl, before using Pet Transporter Worldwide please please call me.  I really need to talk to you.  My direct e-mail is petsandplanes@aol.com, my office phone is 713 466 1378 and my cell phone is 713 824-7820.  I will be on the cell phone most of the day as I have to take some cats to Austin that came in from Malysia last night.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2005, 02:47:41 PM »
Cheryl, out of Seattle use Lea Atwood, Atwood's Pet Transport.  Tell Lee jane says hi and to take care of you.  His e-mail lee@petresort.com tel 1-800-232-2932 or 206-241-0880

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2005, 02:50:53 PM »
Karen,

I'll go over the paperwork with you if you call me this afternoon or tomorrow morning.  In the meantime may I suggest you talk to Sally Smith, my friend at Airborne Animals, tel 908 684 1844 e-mail sally.cpe@worldnet.att.net .  She has a horrible answering machine system but she's worth waiting for.  Please tell her Jane says to take care of you.  I've know Sally about 15-16 years and she is extremely professional and very reliable. 
Jane

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab