Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: $$ how much is enough?  (Read 2843 times)

Re: $$ how much is enough?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2004, 02:45:42 AM »
Hmmm, you know, no one has ever asked me how much money I had in any account.  Last time I went over in Nov, I got a female customs agent, and she stopped me and asked a million questions and almost didn't let me in (Not sure why, I was there 3 months the last time, not even over the 6 months you are allowed) and she said she should not be letting me in but she would this time.  Richard was standing in the corner oblivious that I was having trouble, I guess I could have called him over if I did.  Has anyone else been asked for proof of money? 

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2004, 03:16:42 AM »
I was asked after I entered the UK to start my student visa. I showed a recent checking account statement. He looked at it and handed it back to me. Nothing was said.
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2004, 03:18:27 AM »
Wow, I was lucky I would not have even thought to have it with me!  Well I guess next time I go through I will not need to worry anyway!!!!  I'll have my spouse visa by then.  woohoo

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2004, 05:46:57 AM »
MMMMM hate to burst your bubble but when coming into the UK he will have to be in a different line to go through passport control than you. :(

I disagree.  Frank has gone through the non-EU citizen line with me before with no problems.  I see no reason why Ladymoonwalk's partner couldn't go through the line with her. 

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2004, 05:48:34 AM »
my bubble is not bursted lol.
 I know he is in a diffrent line. buti am saying if they need to ask him a question he will be right there :) in the area LOL

I disagree with G on this.  I don't see why your partner can't go through the non-Eu line with you.  My husband has done it before and we've had no problems. 

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2004, 06:14:51 AM »
It hasnt worked that way for me, Elle.... everytime we travel together, i always ask someone in authority (in the vain hope that they will say yes!), but have always been told we have to stand in seperate queues.   :(

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2004, 06:23:08 AM »
It hasnt worked that way for me, Elle.... everytime we travel together, i always ask someone in authority (in the vain hope that they will say yes!), but have always been told we have to stand in seperate queues.   :(

I never ask! lol  We just do it!  Actually nowadays we just go through whatever line is shortest.  We've yet to be turned away!  Quite frankly, I think the numb-nuts at Heathrow are about good for nothing.  They have a podium that says, "UK Residents this way" yet whenever you ask them they always say to go in the regular line with all the other non-EU passport holders.  So what's the point of having the sign, I say!?!?  Really annoying. 

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2004, 02:35:39 PM »
Ya wee rebel!  ;)

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 07:15:33 PM »

• Married March 21,2005!!!
    • My Myspace page
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »
You guys are great.
 I am laughing so hard at yuo all going back and forth :)
   I love all this advice.
I belive it is diffrent for everyone. WHen i went through customs. I had never been to England before and I was scared it woudl be too cold so i brought "just in case" clothes. I had 2 bags. One was my garmet bag with clothes on hangers and then some gifts for my sweetheart and his family.  AND a standard suitcase. I was only staying 5 days but i am a girl u know.
  SO the only thing they really asked that looked questionable was   well seh said " you have a lot of bags for  a 5 day stay" I said" ia m a girl i dont know where i am going to go lol. she was okay with it and let me though
 but this time is diffrent and i ams o nervous. SOOOOOOOOOOOO much mor nervous about that than anything else.

BY THE WAY
  What kind of things can you do while u are there for 6 months? I mean can i like take a class or something? cos 6 months of sitting around all day is not gonan be fun lol. U all would know.
 *HUGS*
 Shala
Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2004, 10:24:32 PM »
BY THE WAY
  What kind of things can you do while u are there for 6 months? I mean can i like take a class or something? cos 6 months of sitting around all day is not gonan be fun lol. U all would know.
 *HUGS*
 Shala

Depends on what you're looking for and where you're at.  There are adult education centres that have continuing education classes for adults.  Anything and everything from art classes to zoology.  Many are just under £100 for a semester.  So it is a possibility.  Check with the council where you will be living to see if there's a continuing education centre around.

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2004, 12:19:05 AM »
I volunteered for a while at a local school.  I loved the kids!  Also there seem to be a lot of volunteer centers that can help you out in most towns.  Ask around.

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2004, 07:04:51 AM »
I volunteered for a while at a local school.  I loved the kids!  Also there seem to be a lot of volunteer centers that can help you out in most towns.  Ask around.

Wouldn't that still fall under the category of working though, even if it is volunteering? 

• Liked: 8
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2004, 08:26:22 AM »
Wouldn't that still fall under the category of working though, even if it is volunteering? 

Yep.  You can't work (paid or unpaid) while on a visitor's visa.  I do think that volunteering should be okay, but apparently it's not.  I guess maybe their logic is that you might get offered a job and be tempted to stay...maybe. So Stacey, you might want to NOT mention volunteering whilst on your visitor's visa...if you're asked about it.

Ladymoonwalker, will you be entering the UK with your boyfriend or your husband?  If you're married by then, then yep, you can go through the same line at immigration.  I personally wouldn't go through with a boyfriend though.  Has anyone gone through the same line w/ a boyfriend/girlfriend?  Did they give you any trouble?

As for what to do during the six  months...I'm sure you'll be busy.  I didn't even think about working for the first six months - I was busy exploring  and just trying to get settled.  Look at it as a vacation--relax, study something, become a perfect housewife (!)...   ;D

• Married March 21,2005!!!
    • My Myspace page
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2004, 05:54:34 PM »
hee h I will try to look at as a vacation. But i hate not working and earning my own money you know.
  I will be entering as a girlfriend :-d Just visiting for now. I juts dont wanna be all lazy laying around the house and doing absolutly nothing. I will check that center out so i can do someeeeething. I would like to study something fun. I would love to horse ride or something or learn how to cook there or something. YES and learn to be a good home maker before i have to be one lol hahhhaha
   Thanks guys. I just want to make sure I am busy whilist i am there. We are going on a family vacation and everything ( with his family) VERY excited :)
Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

Sponsored Links