Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US SS retirement benefit and Foreign Work Test Spouse question  (Read 191 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi,

I've just initiated the process of claiming my US SS Retirement Benefit as a 63 yo UK resident and citizen (40 credits built-up in USA working on a Green Card). The US Embassy Federal Benefits Unit emailed me asking questions, one of which is if my Spouse is working more than 45 hours per week. My Spouse is US Citizen residing with me in the UK and is 56 so is not eligible to receive US SS Retirement Benefits yet, so is this question on her hours working per month moot? For the record she currently does work > 45 hours per month but is about to quit so will not be going forward (although she may get another job > 45 hours per month in the near future but before she is eligible for SS Retirement Benefits).

Should I answer Yes or No about my Spouse working 45+ hours/month or Yes but...?? or does it not matter as it is moot due to her age?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Tim

• Liked: 723
Re: US SS retirement benefit and Foreign Work Test Spouse question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 03:58:27 PM »
I don’t know the answer but I would reply to the email with the same info you have stated here. I’d rather be completely open with them rather than seek advice on why they are asking this question.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab