Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What food are you craving right now?  (Read 152340 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: What food are you craving right now?
« Reply #1050 on: July 27, 2017, 08:39:03 AM »
Ad revenue.  If the account is monetized, the YouTuber makes money off of views.  We've only earned about $100 from it.  But since we weren't out to make money, we're happy with it.  The YTers who have hundreds of thousands of subscribers and put out content daily...?  They're cleaning up.  Plus, they can get partnership deals directly with suppliers, in which they make money for using and mentioning products.

Our analytics, after 2.5 years and about 22 videos:

Yep! Exactly this!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #1051 on: July 27, 2017, 09:53:14 AM »
Look at what I got yesterday

I've never tried this but it looks like the love child of Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms.  Perfect for bribing children to go to French School on Saturday morning.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #1052 on: July 27, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »
(We operate(d) under the name Minedaft if you're curious.  You'll know you found us if you hear my username.)

I looked at one of your videos, since I had no idea what Minecraft is/was.  So... still trying to figure out how this works... you contacted Vauxhall to see if they wanted to advertise on your video?  Or they contacted you, after seeing that your video was popular, to ask if they could pay you for sticking on a 5-second advert?

« Reply #1053 on: July 27, 2017, 11:39:58 AM »
You don't know what Minecraft is?  You need to watch one of my kid's videos .  They go on for hours!

« Reply #1054 on: July 27, 2017, 01:08:58 PM »
I am 54 years old, with no children.
Is there a reason I *should* know about Minecraft?!  ;) :P

Having seen JFKimberly's video, I think I've seen enough to know it's not for me.  But at least I now know it's a computer game!

« Reply #1055 on: July 27, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »
I tried to find my kid's Minecraft videos so you could watch them but I can't.   The little mite talks to himself about Minecraft for 45 minutes or so. 

Who knows, you might like it.  My daughter plays as well.

« Reply #1056 on: July 27, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »

Who knows, you might like it.

100% certain I wouldn't like it.  So pleeeeeeease don't go to any effort trying to find these things.  I will only disappoint you!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #1057 on: July 27, 2017, 04:27:03 PM »
I am 54 years old, with no children.
Is there a reason I *should* know about Minecraft?!  ;) :P

Having seen JFKimberly's video, I think I've seen enough to know it's not for me.  But at least I now know it's a computer game!

My husband and I are in our late-30s and early-40s and we don't have children.  ;)

Our videos are different to what most Minecraft videos are.  We invent things and then share the inventions with others.  Most Minecraft videos are just the kids's characters running around screaming.  Or some YouTubers use it as a vlogging platform, where they're in the virtual Minecraft world, but then they just talk about stuff while maybe building something.

Minecraft is kind of like Lego, but instead of various-sized bricks, you have blocks that are all exactly the same size (1/2 your character's height), that you can place to build whatever you want.  Most blocks are just aesthetic (textured to look like dirt, grass, stone, glass, quartz, etc.), but some are functional, like pistons and lights.

Really, there are many different ways to "play Minecraft."  Some people build contraptions, like my husband and I do.  Some people build massive, detailed structures (Starship Enterprise?), and some people don't focus on building but instead play "survival" type games.  Oh, did I mention there are zombies?

As to the advertising, it's all done by YouTube/Google.  We just tick the box that says "monetize", make sure all the content in our video is our own or free license (for copyright reasons), and then Google determines which ads get shown, and we get a percentage of the ad revenue applied to our account.  Once we have a certain minimum balance, they issue payment.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:28:54 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #1058 on: July 27, 2017, 07:44:59 PM »
I always enjoy a youtube round of "models falling down".   ;D

• Liked: 154
« Reply #1059 on: July 27, 2017, 08:00:48 PM »
100% certain I wouldn't like it.  So pleeeeeeease don't go to any effort trying to find these things.  I will only disappoint you!

lol I have no interest in it either! And I'm 28 with a child who loves it. I know a lot of adults and children alike like it, but I don't get the appeal and I can't try to understand it either. But I've never been into computer games either.. I'm a reader.

I hate when I get asked to play with her such a dreaded play time for me. Thankfully it's something her and my husband enjoy doing so I get "left out" a lot. 

• Liked: 154
« Reply #1060 on: July 27, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »
Look at what I got yesterday

I've never tried this but it looks like the love child of Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms.  Perfect for bribing children to go to French School on Saturday morning.

I think I've had those a long long time ago.  I miss fruity pebbles do they have those here?? Or Reece's cereal. I don't usually eat breakfast at breakfast but I often fancy a bowl of cereal at dinner 🤣

• Liked: 769
« Reply #1061 on: July 27, 2017, 08:16:50 PM »
I saw Aunt Jemima pancake syrup in Tesco yesterday and I almost bought it but I rarely eat pancakes, waffles or French toast.

I try to live low carb, sugar and grain free and lived that way for 5 years then started visiting Scotland and my way of eating went right oot the windae.

I'm desperately trying to get back to strict low carb but it's so hard to say no to all the great carb laden food here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 958
« Reply #1062 on: July 28, 2017, 03:43:48 AM »
My husband and I are in our late-30s and early-40s and we don't have children.  ;)

Our videos are different to what most Minecraft videos are.  We invent things and then share the inventions with others.  Most Minecraft videos are just the kids's characters running around screaming.  Or some YouTubers use it as a vlogging platform, where they're in the virtual Minecraft world, but then they just talk about stuff while maybe building something.

Minecraft is kind of like Lego, but instead of various-sized bricks, you have blocks that are all exactly the same size (1/2 your character's height), that you can place to build whatever you want.  Most blocks are just aesthetic (textured to look like dirt, grass, stone, glass, quartz, etc.), but some are functional, like pistons and lights.

Really, there are many different ways to "play Minecraft."  Some people build contraptions, like my husband and I do.  Some people build massive, detailed structures (Starship Enterprise?), and some people don't focus on building but instead play "survival" type games.  Oh, did I mention there are zombies?

As to the advertising, it's all done by YouTube/Google.  We just tick the box that says "monetize", make sure all the content in our video is our own or free license (for copyright reasons), and then Google determines which ads get shown, and we get a percentage of the ad revenue applied to our account.  Once we have a certain minimum balance, they issue payment.

I have to wonder if my husband watches your videos. He's one of those that spends his days playing video games while watching others play video games. Goes down the minecraft, KSP, or Rimworld rabbithole quite often. I'm not really one for video games, I'm terrible at most of them. :) He also loves watching people review bad movies, quite amusing really.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #1063 on: July 28, 2017, 04:30:23 AM »
I have to wonder if my husband watches your videos. He's one of those that spends his days playing video games while watching others play video games. Goes down the minecraft, KSP, or Rimworld rabbithole quite often. I'm not really one for video games, I'm terrible at most of them. :) He also loves watching people review bad movies, quite amusing really.

KSP!  I had to stop playing that because I wasn't very good at it, and I would get really sad when I lost a Kerbal in space or blew them up.  There used to be a person in the KSP community who would "rescue" adrift Kerbals for people.  I had already stopped playing by the time I learned of that player, but I thought it was a cute idea.  We still follow KSP on Twitter.

I would be surprised if your husband has seen our videos.  We haven't made very many, and we aren't very popular.  We mostly associated with other "concept creators" in the Minecraft community, and it's the Let's Players who get all the subs and attention.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #1064 on: July 28, 2017, 09:43:34 AM »
lol I have no interest in it either! And I'm 28 with a child who loves it. I know a lot of adults and children alike like it, but I don't get the appeal and I can't try to understand it either. But I've never been into computer games either.. I'm a reader.

I hate when I get asked to play with her such a dreaded play time for me. Thankfully it's something her and my husband enjoy doing so I get "left out" a lot. 

Not just a computer game, it's also on consoles  ;D
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links