Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 514174 times)

• Liked: 958
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #8235 on: July 18, 2018, 08:31:44 PM »
I've been friends with quite a few smokers and while I don't hate it, it's not fun to be around either. Those people smell very strongly of whatever eau de toilette they use as a cover up.

You're in my thoughts.

(Also, sorry if what I said earlier came across poorly... I was just trying to say "this is a small inconvenience for me and I know it's an actual health impacting problem for you". I probably said it badly.)
Oh no, I understand completely! We all have our struggles, and this is honestly no worse than the things you've also recently gone through :( Employers need to stop being such crap!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #8236 on: July 18, 2018, 08:39:55 PM »
Oh no, I understand completely! We all have our struggles, and this is honestly no worse than the things you've also recently gone through :( Employers need to stop being such crap!

AMEN to that, right? Employers should stop being so absolute crap. I thought it would be better here...

It'll take a bit of time, but I think you'll find the perfect place. (It's only taken me what? 4 years and a few crappy roles? but hey, it's all a learning experience. And I learned some useful things at my last role that helped me secure this one.)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #8237 on: July 19, 2018, 10:02:17 AM »
Today is slightly better. I really needed the day off to recover. But I'll be contacting some specific groups for accommodation assistance and hopefully get some help! I'm trying to stay positive because I do really need this job until something better comes along.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #8238 on: July 19, 2018, 10:17:32 AM »
Hoping today continues to be better today :(
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #8239 on: July 19, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »
I spoke too soon :( there's a "glue" smell, literally shaking from it. Everyone else is getting headaches.. Me.. My throat is swelling so I'm now back in my car after taking antihistamines.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #8240 on: July 19, 2018, 12:57:32 PM »
Oh, gosh, be careful!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8241 on: July 19, 2018, 04:55:06 PM »
I have very fortunately been on the first floor all day where the air conditioning is working.  I cannot describe how the second floor feels.  Smelly from people, literally that humid wet-towel hit you in the face feel, and it's over 33C.  I feel awful for being in meetings all day or else I would have gone and got ice cream and ice for water for everyone.  This is just appalling.

« Reply #8242 on: July 19, 2018, 05:11:44 PM »
I have very fortunately been on the first floor all day where the air conditioning is working.  I cannot describe how the second floor feels.  Smelly from people, literally that humid wet-towel hit you in the face feel, and it's over 33C.  I feel awful for being in meetings all day or else I would have gone and got ice cream and ice for water for everyone.  This is just appalling.
Wow :( :(

I spent most of the day in my car until the wind shifted and stopped blowing the roofers glue into the vents. My inhaler and benadryl came in handy today.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #8243 on: July 19, 2018, 05:52:34 PM »

Welcome to the global warming...ahem, "Climate Change", that isn't happening.  :-\\\\

« Reply #8244 on: July 20, 2018, 08:42:55 AM »

Welcome to the global warming...ahem, "Climate Change", that isn't happening.  :-\\\\

Yeah I've got a feeling this is going to be the new norm now.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #8245 on: July 20, 2018, 09:57:55 AM »
.... Just got put on paid leave until they do the occupational health assessment. When I came in today they were doing construction *in* the office with glues and paint. Like really??

So I guess I better start job hunting again. There's no way they will do anything the assessment recommends because they keep telling me my software can't even be installed on a laptop.

« Reply #8246 on: July 20, 2018, 10:23:12 AM »
.... Just got put on paid leave until they do the occupational health assessment. When I came in today they were doing construction *in* the office with glues and paint. Like really??

So I guess I better start job hunting again. There's no way they will do anything the assessment recommends because they keep telling me my software can't even be installed on a laptop.

...That's really sh*t timing! But at least they put you on paid leave. When is the occupational health assessment due??

How can they tell you the SW can't be installed on a laptop?! That seems crazy.. are you dealing with exceptionally secure stuff ?! The only place I've heard of that doesn't actually use laptops is where my husband used to work and that was because it was a nuclear weapons place and even they are starting to allow some parts of the company to work remotely! If seems they are cutting their nose off to spite their face which is only going to backfire on them because they are losing the ability to have you work by instead just paying you to be on leave. They sound insane...
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8247 on: July 20, 2018, 10:27:09 AM »
...That's really sh*t timing! But at least they put you on paid leave. When is the occupational health assessment due??

How can they tell you the SW can't be installed on a laptop?! That seems crazy.. are you dealing with exceptionally secure stuff ?! The only place I've heard of that doesn't actually use laptops is where my husband used to work and that was because it was a nuclear weapons place and even they are starting to allow some parts of the company to work remotely! If seems they are cutting their nose off to spite their face which is only going to backfire on them because they are losing the ability to have you work by instead just paying you to be on leave. They sound insane...

My company's main software can't be put on a laptop because of the way it's written.  It goes across two computer screens, so it simply doesn't work.  We have recently hired someone VERY expensive to rewrite the software so that it is web based.  Life will change a LOT then.  Hallelujah!

So yeah, there is stuff out there that doesn't function on laptops.  Usually sh*t, but it's out there and in use.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #8248 on: July 20, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
But laptops can be connected to multiple screens... I don't understand the problem.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #8249 on: July 20, 2018, 10:39:14 AM »
My company's main software can't be put on a laptop because of the way it's written.  It goes across two computer screens, so it simply doesn't work.  We have recently hired someone VERY expensive to rewrite the software so that it is web based.  Life will change a LOT then.  Hallelujah!

So yeah, there is stuff out there that doesn't function on laptops.  Usually sh*t, but it's out there and in use.
Laptop docks usually handle things like that ;)

But nothing I'm working with is unable to be installed on a laptop. It's just SAS and oracle sql developer.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab