Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Really stupid clothing question  (Read 13115 times)

• Higglety-Pigglety
  • Liked: 0
Really stupid clothing question
« on: February 20, 2004, 02:13:40 AM »
Hi Ya!  I'm new to the board and was referred to the site by some nice people over at eBay UK.  :D

So anyway, I'm reading the "What I wish I did/didn't bring" topics (which was great info by the way, I've started a long list) since I'll be moving to England with my husband later this year, and I kept seeing the comments about clothing.  I'm currently in Huntington Beach, California and I'll be moving to Darwen in Lancashire.  Most of my clothing is tank dresses (long with side slits), Aloha shirts and jeans, and birk sandals. "Winter clothes" (ha-ha) is the same with the addition of a few sweaters, a coat, and clogs (your toes can get cold in sandals). Now I'm not stupid. I'm very aware of the difference in climates and I figured I'd have to add some clothes that are more suitable to East Coast living, but I got the impression that NONE of my clothing is gonna work, at all, ever! That even the East Coast idea was gonna fall flat ???

Is this true? Are my hawaiian shirts history?  :'(

If so, can any of you recommend WHERE I can look for what I'll really need while I'm still here?  :-/

And WHAT would you recommend I get/bring?

Thanks in advance
Kat
"Rome didn't build an empire by having meetings, they did it by killing those who opposed them"  ~  I must be a Roman at heart

• Life needs to be worked at.
Re: Really stupid clothing question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 02:22:43 AM »
  Yup your right your hawaiian shirts will be a thing of the past, if you have ever been up in the mountains where the air is much colder and crisp thats the type of clothing you need.   Along with something to keep out the usual rain and wind.    Still not to worry you will enjoy living in that part of England, with the people being so friendly and so much history close by you will have a blast.
G

• Higglety-Pigglety
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 04:44:46 AM »
  Yup your right your hawaiian shirts will be a thing of the past, if you have ever been up in the mountains where the air is much colder and crisp thats the type of clothing you need.   Along with something to keep out the usual rain and wind....*snip*    

Yeah, okay, so I figured.  :-[  But can you give me some suggestions of things to take, or at least get here in the US instead of waiting?  I've only been up to the mountains a few times (never when it snowed) and I don't remember wearing anything different apart from taking a coat.

I have a few months to prepare.  And I don't want to get over there and find I need to replace "Everything", especially if I'm gonna find it would have been cheaper to get it here.  :-/

THanks
Kat
"Rome didn't build an empire by having meetings, they did it by killing those who opposed them"  ~  I must be a Roman at heart

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 11:11:43 AM »
Black boots....with square toes.  I couldn't live without these, and it seems to be the one article of clothing that *everyone* has.  You need comfortable footwear that can withstand water, mud, and the cold.

Lots of black stuff....black slacks, especially if you're going to be working at all.  I find women here wear either slacks or very long, closefitting skirts.  "Smart Casual" is the way to go for the most part.  I wear dark jeans or slacks, solid color tops and my boots most everyday.  Such fun!   :-/

Nothing colorful or bright is worn here for the most part, unless it is one solid color.  

Layering is key.  Don't worry about big bulky coats and such.  Lots of light layers is much more effective.

Here are a couple of popular UK shop websites....I'm sure you can get some ideas for what you'll need:

http://www.next.co.uk/
http://www.marksandspencer.com/
http://www.johnlewis.com

My advice is just bring a few things you really love with you.  Your wardrobe will probably evolve  into a more British one in a few months anyway.

PS - I know at least one Californian who is brave enough to wear his Hawaiian shirt here in London, so it can be done!  :)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 01:02:48 PM »
Quick note to add: don't leave all your summer clothes behind! Remember that when it gets warm here (and last year was a heat wave, albeit short) - - there's NO air conditioning anywhere so you'll be glad you brought some summer stuff. I'm thinking you might struggle, in California, to buy the kind of clothes you'd need over here - like long-sleeved stuff, jackets, rain gear, trousers, boots... but maybe I'm wrong? If you've got the money it's worth shopping once you get here, otherwise wait until fall (don't know exactly when you're moving, sorry!) until stores have their warmer stuff out, and try places like Target, Old Navy, JCrew, Department Stores... no idea what the shopping is like in CA, or what your personal style is, so it's hard to tell. :/
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 03:30:19 PM »
Aww,, keep one or two of your favorite Hawaiian shirts,, you will at some point go on holiday in a warm  climate and will be glad of them :)  (why not use them to brighten up your bedroom once you are here, hang them on the wall for color :) )Also, definately keep your birks,,, we do have summer here, (it can get quite hot, and NO aircon! )and I wear my tevas all summer.

Wishstar gave some good sites to get an idea of what the girls generally wear here. You will be shocked to see girls dress very skimpy in the winter at night, with strappy shoes,, that still blows me away LOL,, but they are used to the cold.  

I get alot of stuff at TheGap,, which you can still get some warm fleece things from them online.  Depending on where you will be living,, people will wear heavy coats in the winter,, or like down south, where I live,, nothing heavier than a fleece jacket. You see alot of vest type jackets, worn over fleece tops down south where I live. When I am out shopping, it's a pain to have to take off a coat  in a warm shop, so these vest things are great for that. They really turn up the heat in shops in the winter.  It's not that cold in the South,, midwest American gets much colder. Get some long sleeve t-shirts, Roxy is a popular brand you can get where you live, that I see alot of girls wear here too, as well as Quicksilver. That way you have a bit of the 'beach culture' still with you. :) Just keep to toned down colors, and you will be fine.

Dress black slacks are a must. That is almost a uniform here.

You have some time yet, so don't stress :)  

another UK clothing site, that I shop at alot, is
http://www.dorothyperkins.co.uk/promostores/dp/index_ie.html They are quite reasonable costwise too.

http://www.topshop.co.uk,  and http://www.newlook.co.uk/, are fun trendy shops that are very inexpensive, and fun. Sounds like you will be at home with them, as they tend to be very youthful, and trendy.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 03:38:05 PM by tebs »

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 04:03:14 PM »
if you want to look like everyone else here in the UK:

strappy, pointy-toed, pointy-heeled shoes or boots are all the rave.   ::)   mostly worn here with tiny mini skirts, occasionally legwarmers and "bobbi-socks" accompany them.  if you have fat thighs, don't worry...  no one else seems to mind.

(seriously, if you like cool shoes, stock up at home, and bring them all with you.   they don't sell cool shoes outside of London.  and chunky heels are impossible to find anywhere...  i am so glad i brought mine here!  ;D)

any ugly 80's clothing is fashionable, as well.  legwarmers are "cool" here, worn on the legs OR arms.  ::)  and also "off one shoulder", fat horizontal striped tops.  they are all the rave, and EVERYONE wears them here.  

it is not easy at the present to find "normal" clothes here.  it seems to me that every article of clothing in the U.K. tries way too hard.  most tops and pants are all "puckery" with strings and ties hanging everywhere, and its difficult to find a top with BOTH sleeves attached.  

basically, looking like an 80's hooker is what goes on the weekends in England.  or if you have a mullet or the "Pat Benetar" look going on, you'll do very well here...  :-/

during the week, they don't allow people to wear bright colours and/or prints.  i believe the fine is £50 for wearing Hawaiian or similar prints, and £30 if you wear clothing with any sort of logo on it, and £20 for wearing baseball hats, if female.  

clothing is expensive and ugly here.   bring as much with you as you can, and even consider paying the extra $80 for a third piece of luggage...  it'll be worth it!  ;)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 04:17:40 PM »

strappy, pointy-toed, pointy-heeled shoes or boots are all the rave.   ::)   mostly worn here with tiny mini skirts, occasionally legwarmers and "bobbi-socks" accompany them.  if you have fat thighs, don't worry...  no one else seems to mind.

(seriously, if you like cool shoes, stock up at home, and bring them all with you.   they don't sell cool shoes outside of London.  and chunky heels are impossible to find anywhere...  i am so glad i brought mine here!  ;D)

any ugly 80's clothing is fashionable, as well.  legwarmers are "cool" here, worn on the legs OR arms.  ::)  and also "off one shoulder", fat horizontal striped tops.  they are all the rave, and EVERYONE wears them here.  

it is not easy at the present to find "normal" clothes here.  it seems to me that every article of clothing in the U.K. tries way too hard.  most tops and pants are all "puckery" with strings and ties hanging everywhere, and its difficult to find a top with BOTH sleeves attached.  

basically, looking like an 80's hooker is what goes on the weekends in England.  or if you have a mullet or the "Pat Benetar" look going on, you'll do very well here...  :-/

during the week, they don't allow people to wear bright colours and/or prints.  i believe the fine is £50 for wearing Hawaiian or similar prints, and £30 if you wear clothing with any sort of logo on it, and £20 for wearing baseball hats, if female.  

clothing is expensive and ugly here.   bring as much with you as you can, and even consider paying the extra $80 for a third piece of luggage...  it'll be worth it!  ;)

You're can't possibly be serious with this post are you ???
maybe I should know better but I find aspects of this post highly offensive......maybe you should take it upon yourself to be a trendsetter for the women of England then yeah?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 04:54:33 PM by CeltictotheCore »

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 04:29:47 PM »

LOL! So true!  [smiley=laugh4.gif] I really hate most clothes here  [smiley=puke.gif] unless I'm looking for the smart casual stuff for work.

I'm still shocked to see the off shoulder tops so popular. I'm waiting for the terricloth headbands to come back as well to complete the whole flashdance look.  [smiley=sick.gif]

I do check the shops on occasion as I have come across the occasional cool gothy type item and must buy it quickly before it gets recalled or something. So I am glad I brought pretty much all my clothes with me...no matter how unfashionable they may be.  :-/

The skimpy dress and strappy shoes with no jacket in the dead of winter phenomenon still cracks me up when I see it.  [smiley=speechless.gif] Maybe blue skin is a man-magnet?  ???

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 04:52:38 PM »

[smiley=laugh4.gif]
Always saddle your own horse

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 05:08:26 PM »
Wow, my hubby and I would love it if there was an '80s revival...how much fun would that be!

Of course, he also has always thought that British women look cute all dressed up, he thinks they make more of an effort than American women to make an occasion special.

And I personally don't think any of us here (unless we look like Nicole Kidman) has a right to comment on the size of another woman's thighs.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 05:16:30 PM »
Hi Kat

My US half is from OC and in fact took me to Huntingdon Beach, his fave surf beach, to propose! (it didn't quite happen that way but that's another story for another posting some day...)

Bring your Hawaiian shirts. Bring all your favourites. Leave behind the stuff you hate. Buy everything else here. There are lots of cheap places to stock up on the latest styles here if need be. Just bring stuff you can layer for the time being.

It was damned hot here last summer and my poor Stu regretted bringing just the one pair of shorts with him so do bring your summer wear.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 05:24:24 PM »

Um Angel, I have to agree with Celtic here ... I'm sure your post was meant tongue-in-cheek but honestly I have to say I find it a little harsh. (and my understanding is that the mullet was exported here from the US !!!)

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2004, 05:34:31 PM »
I'm a little sad to think i have to ditch my summer Lilly Puliutzer dresses and Nantucket clothes that i spent so much on!

*sigh*  

I was going through a black phase a while back, guess that's good.  

I'm still bringing my happy colorful summer clothing for when we travel.  :P

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2004, 05:43:21 PM »

And I personally don't think any of us here (unless we look like Nicole Kidman) has a right to comment on the size of another woman's thighs.

my legs look nothing like Nicole Kidman's... far from it.  but British ppl don't seem to mind the "fullness" of a woman's figure...  thats what i meant.  ;)

You're can't possibly be serious with this post are you ???
maybe I should know better but I find aspects of this post highly offensive......maybe you should take it upon yourself to be a trendsetter for the women of England then yeah?

unfortunately, i am very serious.   i am not meaning to offend anyone here, especially UK women.  i am not talking about any woman's character here, just the fashion...   which sucks, in my opinion, so please don't get all offended and let me state my opinion on this subject. :(

what i am trying to say is: if you don't like the current trends, you are out of luck as far as finding un-trendy clothing.  the stores here are flooded with fads that won't last.  i would much rather buy fashionable clothing that will last for a few years, and trying to do that here is next to impossible.

as far as women looking like 80's hookers on the weekends, if you don't believe me, go out clubbing in a bigger city and see for yourself...
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab