Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: transformers for US appliances  (Read 819 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
transformers for US appliances
« on: April 01, 2004, 11:32:23 PM »
My mother has just sent me this website she found. I have an American model kitchenaid mixer I am dying to bring over here. I'm going to get in touch with them and see what they recommend. It looks like a promising site but if anyone else knows otherwise, please do let me know!

http://www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk/about.html
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: transformers for US appliances
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 06:50:34 AM »
Oh, if you love your baby, don't do it. A Kitchenaid...I know your pain of wanting to bring it.

My own experience is that a transformer will give you one week of pleasure, a sudden "pop", a whiff of plasticy-smelling smoke for about four hours, and the rest of a lifetime sitting and looking at a dead appliance.

They may have improved things, but for me and transformers? I look at them and make an "X" with my fingers/arms outstretched.

A base price for a Kitchenaid here is roughly £279 (inc shipping); £479 for the steel. Buy one here, bring the attachments...that's my I-know-nothing-about-electricity advice.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 12:01:59 PM »
Yes, I have heard that transformers can be a nightmare so I am entering this with utmost care! However, it appears (?!) that the folks at this site are serious. They custom make each transformer for your specific appliance(s) and are clear that you need a big ol' one for the larger types of appliances. You call or email them with your specifics and they go from there. I will definitely be asking them about the longevity of them. Kitchenaids are almost twice as expensive here hence my hesitation to buy one. Plus, we may be going back and forth from US to UK over our careers!

There is still a great deal of confusion about transformers. I posted about my kitchenaid when I first found UKY and I was told to go to Dixons or something and get a £20 transformer there. At that point I already knew enough to recognize that that was not right for such a big a appliance.   ;D

I'll let everyone know what happens!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 12:38:24 PM »
I've operated a number of small appliances on the smallest transformer (all below 600 watts), with no problems whatsoever.

But saying that, it did decrease the life by about half. After almost 5 years, the only thing still working is my salad shooter......oh, and my makeup mirror [only because we've never got around to changing the plug].

Oh, the transformer was nice to have, tho, when my friend came to visit and brought her curling iron :)

RIP- bread oven, mixer, stereo....lol

Sponsored Links