Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: When to do what?  (Read 1049 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
When to do what?
« on: April 23, 2004, 02:17:29 PM »
It seems like there are so many things to do, and I'm confused about the best order in which to do them.

Here are the major things we'll have to do to make the move:

Get a parter visa for my girlfriend
Find a flat
Find jobs
Move, of course

This is slightly complicated because I, my gf's sponsor, will be going over at the same time and therefore will not already have a flat and a job there.

It seems it will be easier for us to get the visa if we already have a flat (as the application asks for a UK address).  Is that right?  And it would be good if at least one of us has a job.  I guess my gf can't get a job before the visa, but I could.

So it seems the order should be:
Find a flat
(Find a job for me if we're really lucky)
Get the visa
Move over
Find jobs

Does that make sense?
Liz

• Liked: 8
Re: When to do what?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 03:28:12 PM »
Is there anyone in the UK who could act as a sponsor?  Do you already have family over here?

• Hi there.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 04:24:23 PM »
I do, I have two brothers, two uncles, and a number of cousins in the UK.  Would it help to offset our lack of jobs for my gf's visa application if we had letters from some of those people saying they would help us out if we had financial trouble?  And of course, we'd have some savings, but not enough to support the two of us for very long in London if neither of us were working.

Do we need to have a place to live before submitting the visa application?  I was thinking we'd go over for a couple weeks about a month before we planned to move to look for a flat, and it seems it would make things easier if my gf already had her visa then -- that way she could also scout for jobs on that trip, or register with an agency and do other things to get the ball rolling to limit the amount of time between the move and working.  But I don't know if that would be possible.

Edited to add:  I am concerned that if we applied for the visa before finding a flat and/or before at least one of us having a job, we could get turned down, which could then make things difficult for applying again later once we acquired those things.  So I don't want to apply too early!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 04:30:43 PM by FormicaLinoleum »
Liz

• Why a duck?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 06:29:20 PM »
Liz,

I got a letter from my sister and BIL saying that I could stay with them free until I found a job and a flat.  Then, just to be sure, I got another from my nephew and his wife saying I could also stay with them, and they would support me in case of financial difficulty.  I'll be using sister's address too.

The first thing I'm going to do is get a phone so I can put my number on my CV!
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

• Hi there.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 08:44:08 PM »
What kind of visa do you have, chrishamil?

I have one brother in London (where we plan to go), but he has loads of housemates, so we would not be able to stay with him.  Unfortunately, we will have to find our own flat.  I take it from your story that they will want to know where we are going to live upon arriving when we make the visa application.
Liz

• Why a duck?
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 12:29:44 AM »
I'm applying for the HSMP.  I've got at least 75 points and evidence galore, so I hope I get a fast turn-around.  Now to get the darned thing in!  Between stressing about insignificant things and cleaning out my house, I'm working on the cover letter, but I can't get it right.  Is Mercury still retrograde?

Exactly right, Liz.  My letters will let IND know where I will be just after I arrive.  I think they want to see some forethought.  It was my BIL's idea to include the letters.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 09:14:35 AM »
They're definitely going to be looking for some level of forethought on your parts when you apply for your girlfriend's visa.  I do think it would be a great idea to have letters from your family saying that they are willing to give you a place to live and/or financial support until the two of you can get established. 

It wouldn't hurt to head over and look for somewhere to live...I do think it would help tremendously to have your own address.  Limited means don't look so bad if you have somewhere to live.  I think limited means PLUS not having an address could raise some red flags.   And while your girlfriend isn't permitted to work without her visa, she's not barred from *researching* jobs in the UK.  In fact, part of the guidance notes for the fiancee'/spousal (can't remember which one) visa application asks for proof that you've either procured a job in the UK or have done some research into getting a job.  I had several emails to UK employers and had done some research into how my teaching credentials would translate over here.  They never asked for that evidence when we applied for my spousal visa, but I had it with me just in case.

• Hi there.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 03:42:29 PM »
In fact, part of the guidance notes for the fiancee'/spousal (can't remember which one) visa application asks for proof that you've either procured a job in the UK or have done some research into getting a job.

Interesting -- how is a person supposed to procure a job without having the visa yet?  Won't a propective employer ask if an applicant is able to work in the UK?  Would "no, but I'm going to apply for an UP visa and will probably get it" work?
Liz

• Why a duck?
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 04:06:51 PM »
I also need to explain what steps I've taken in my job hunt.  It really is a waste of time to apply for a position before you have the visa, and it's a violation of the tourist visa to overtly look for a job.  I've printed postings for jobs that I would qualify for to show the HSMP team that I have an idea of what's out there, salary, and necessary qualifications.  My cover letter is looking more and more like War and Peace!

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 05:18:03 PM »

Interesting -- how is a person supposed to procure a job without having the visa yet?  Won't a propective employer ask if an applicant is able to work in the UK?  Would "no, but I'm going to apply for an UP visa and will probably get it" work?

They're not actually looking to see that you've applied, but more that you've thought about and are preparing to work in the UK.  Like I said, I just had some emails I'd sent to schools and such, basically asking how my teaching credentials would work here in the UK.  They all gave me general information which I could have gotten anywhere, but I figured it would look good if the consular official asked to see stuff like that (which she didn't).  I'll have to go back and look again...I really can't remember where I saw it...but basically it said you should bring your CV, copies of degrees, university transcripts, research on working in the UK, etc. 

As far as what you've done for the HSMP application, I think that's fine.  You're showing that you're researching your field and that you have a good idea of what to expect from the UK job market once you arrive.

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing--are you applying for an HSMP visa and your girlfriend is applying for a partner visa?  If so, how does that allow you to be her sponsor if you're not a citizen/resident of Britain?  I'm confused!   ???   ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 05:21:04 PM by lolabola »

• Why a duck?
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 12:32:07 AM »
Formica is claiming citizenship through her mother.  Formica's GF is applying for an unmarried partner visa.  I am applying for an HSMP.  We are confused too!

• Hi there.
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 02:27:34 PM »
Yes, that's right.  I'm registering as a citizen (my application is currently in the hands of the consulate!) and will get my UK passport and all of that.  Then my gf will apply for an UP visa to be able to move to the UK along with me.

It's the fact that we are moving at the same time and I therefore am not already established in the UK with a job and flat that will make her UP visa application a bit more complicated.  I will apply for jobs before the move, with the hope that I could perhaps at least have a firm job offer before she makes her application.  But I have heard that it's hard to get a job from overseas even if you are free to work in the UK, so that may not work out.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 02:31:58 PM by FormicaLinoleum »
Liz

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 02:36:37 PM »
Ah!  Okay...I am so easily confused!   :)

• Hi there.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 08:29:55 PM »
Is it sufficient to provide a UK address, or do you need some kind of proof that you'll be living there, like a lease or something?

I'm thinking now that it might be a good plan for me to see if my brother can find/arrange a room for us with him or one of our cousins or someone he knows for about the first 2 months so we could keep expenses down while looking for jobs and a flat of our own.  But that arrangement might not involve a lease.
Liz

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 12:14:12 PM »
Is it sufficient to provide a UK address, or do you need some kind of proof that you'll be living there, like a lease or something?

I'm thinking now that it might be a good plan for me to see if my brother can find/arrange a room for us with him or one of our cousins or someone he knows for about the first 2 months so we could keep expenses down while looking for jobs and a flat of our own.  But that arrangement might not involve a lease.

You do have to show that the property you're going to live in is owned or leased by the sponsor.  We had to get a letter from my husband's landlady stating that I was allowed to live in his flat even though my name wasn't on the lease AND that my name would be added to the lease at the time of renewal.  If you're going to be living with family, you'll need a letter from them stating that they're going to let you live with them AND a copy of their mortgage or lease.

Sponsored Links