Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Careers That Pay Well In The UK ie enough to support a family  (Read 7647 times)

Re: Careers That Pay Well In The UK ie enough to support a family
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2005, 10:31:51 PM »
I like having time to do things I enjoy. I'm willing to give up a little to have that time.

David

Just wait till you get a load of that beach! 

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2005, 10:35:03 PM »
Expat! What beach is that? OMG - the beaches here are soo, sooooo cold. Then again, I moved here from southern Florida...my teeth chatter just thinking of going to the beaches here. That's one part of my life in the US that I hated giving up...

Carolyn B
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2005, 10:35:56 PM »
Expat! What beach is that? OMG - the beaches here are soo, sooooo cold. Then again, I moved here from southern Florida...my teeth chatter just thinking of going to the beaches here. That's one part of my life in the US that I hated giving up...

Carolyn B

The one at St. Andrew's.  Sorry to disappoint, it isn't warm. 

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2005, 10:41:37 PM »
Well I'm sure it's beautiful (if you bundle up warm enough).  :o  I've not made it up your way there as of yet...we're doing London for the first 'official' time over the Easter weekend & I know we'll get to Scotland eventually too.  I think DH actually prefers Edinburgh to London, with the possible exception of the winters.  Yorkshire is a nice mid-point.

Carolyn B

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2005, 11:00:39 AM »
Awwww...where did tenthplanet go? I was having too much fun keeping up with the banter, trying to figure out who was taking the mickey out of who & learning all about Utah!

Carolyn B ;D

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2005, 12:14:49 PM »
Landlords aren't 'nice'.  We're in business together - I give them money in exchange for a place to crash.  I've lived in flats for the past 14 years with the exception of 1 year.  I have a knack for getting things repaired quickly. 

Yes, you are in business together. I live in New York City, where it is easier for a landlord to get a new tenant than for a tenant to find a new apartment.   If I want something fixed, I can request that it be fixed, but the only way to ensure that it be fixed right away is by taking the landlord to court, and the courts favor the landlords over the tenants. If I'm not happy with the service, there's not much I can do about it. It's not like I can just move out. It's very difficult to find an affordable apartment in New York.

I have hired outside workers to do repairs in my apartment, and paid for it out of my pocket, just like a homeowner, simply because it was an intolerable situation (flooded bathroom, no electricity, etc.) and the landlord couldn't get around to having one of his own workers fix it.

That's one reason I am looking forward to living in York: "To Let" signs on practically every street. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 12:20:27 PM by sweetpeach »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2005, 09:00:40 PM »
Hi tenthplanet.  I don't know why people have gotten so upset by your comments either.  I live in California at the moment, and my bosses make 500K a year as insurance agents.  Money is all relative to your surroundings, and here, 60K as a lawyer is low, and you couldn't buy a decent house on that.  But aside from that, my brit husband and I have gotten in arguments about the salaries vs. the cost of living.  Basically, according to how we have figured it out based on what we can afford here, vs what we could afford there on equivalent salaries, the cost of living is rather similar (California to England).  London.. forget it, it's one of the most expensive cities, so unless you plan on becoming a pop star, your standard of living will have to decrease.  You probably know that though.
Anyhow, good for you for making 60K.  I know the hard work that you had to put in to getting your education, and I am thrilled for people who's hard work to educate themselves pays out.  And of course you would adjust to a standard of living based on that.  That's just textbook response to your circumstances.  Anyway, just keep in mind if you are considering the move back, it's not as simple as converting american dollars to the pound.  It has to be done in a broader sense than that: ei, 'on my salary in the US, I could buy this.  on a projected uk salary for what I do, I could buy... something of similar quality? or not'  I'm not sure if I communicated that well, but hopefully you get the idea.
Good luck no matter what you decide though. 
TMac
Know Thyself

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2005, 09:49:41 PM »
I often wonder if some of these newer folks have some pent up rage or just plain meanness about them when they sign on here and post. I mean, we've had a few really aggressive and outright rude posts lately by newer members. Then they wonder why ppl respond in the same manner towards them.  Jeesh  [smiley=beadyeyes.gif]
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2005, 08:19:49 AM »
Just note that not everyone's standard of living will go down if they move to London.  To be honest, I actually have a better one than when I was living in Boston.  I go out more, have more money left over from my paycheck each month, and truly enjoy my life much more due to all the opportunities that are out there for me.  I think it depends on where you come from, your expectations and what you end up doing.  It's all relative!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab