Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are you reading now?  (Read 19839 times)

• Liked: 24
What are you reading now?
« on: May 20, 2003, 06:52:16 PM »
I don't read as much as I'd like, no time it seems. But when I do, I'm a huge Stephen King fan. I absolutely adore the Dark Tower/Gunslinger series, and I'm like those kids waiting for the next installment of Harry Potter, I'm waiting for the next Gunslinger book, due sometime this year. It's brilliant stuff. Funny that, I got the first one from the library without thinking it'd be anygood, and I was so wrong, and the second was even better, and then the next 2, wow, I was reading full time. ;)

In the meantime, I'm trying to catch up with some of his other books I've not had time to get to in the past few years, right now it's Dreamcatcher. I'm 79 pages in, and it's looking darn good to me. :)

I have a few books coming from Amazon soon, can't even remember what I ordered for sure. ::) PHP pocket reference I remember. LOL. ;)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
Re: What are you reading now?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 07:08:40 PM »
I read any of the books that come free with magazines.

I'm very much into the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I hate that he only writes one a year and lately he's been writing them so that one book (600-800 pages) would be one day. (you can tell he's making money by these books, thus streching them out... )

Last book I just read was "the Other Boleyn Girl" (someone else mentioned this book in another thread). Fantastic book, really loved it. And they made a tv movie for it which sucked, but it was kind of nice to watch.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 07:10:47 PM »
I'm a big ol Lois McMaster Bujold fan, but the collection was kinda joint (me, mom, sis, mom's sis lol) in the states, so I'm slowly slowly rebuilding it over here.

At the moment I'm reading Edda by Snorri Sturluson (Faulkes translation).  So um yeah, kinda esoteric.  ;D  I shall pick up something fun to read sooon.  I must!  
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 07:14:08 PM »
I'm very much into the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I hate that he only writes one a year and lately he's been writing them so that one book (600-800 pages) would be one day. (you can tell he's making money by these books, thus streching them out... )

Last book I just read was "the Other Boleyn Girl" (someone else mentioned this book in another thread). Fantastic book, really loved it. And they made a tv movie for it which sucked, but it was kind of nice to watch.

I love that series too...tho hate the same things you said heh.

And oooh!  I'm the one who recommended The Other Boleyn Girl!  Yay!  ;D

Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 07:14:39 PM »
I love the Dark Tower books, especially the Drawing of the Three!  I also love Stephen King, but have found in recent years he's not as good as he used to be.  My favorites are The Stand and It, The Talisman (I even got the unabridged version of the Stand and liked it even better!), the Dead Zone, the Shining.  And I read Insomnia over Thanksgiving day weekend and loved it too.

I've been spending a lot of time lately reading history and historical fiction, I usually read either that or non-fiction but the last week or two I felt like I'd had enough, so I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a bunch of chick-lit like Marian Keyes and Anna Maxted.  I'm enjoying them, it's not really my "thing" but after spending months in Medieval Wales and England (and even more because I'm writing a romance novel set there) I'm really happy to escape to modern-day London and Dublin.

So I am about to start "Rachel's Holiday" by Marian Keyes.

I'm also, I'm ashamed to say, eagerly awaiting Harry Potter.  I read the first two and thought, "eh, cute, but kid's books.  I don't see what the big deal is."  Then my sd brought the third down with her one summer, she never looked at it but I read it because I had nothing else.  (When you read on average 5 books a week you'll read pretty much anything after a while!)  It was better but I still thought, "eh."  Then the 4th one came out, I finally bought it about 5 months ago and was shocked to discover it was a very good book.  So now I'm on the bandwagon.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 07:26:27 PM »

I love that series too...tho hate the same things you said heh.

And oooh!  I'm the one who recommended The Other Boleyn Girl!  Yay!  ;D

We'll have to compare libraries some day. Sounds to me like we've got a common taste in books.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 07:39:43 PM »
At the moment I am reading 3 books...  normally I love adventurous romances...  and good thrillers...  but I also like to read some non fiction...  I am in a phase of reading things of awareness...  which describes basically the 3 books I am reading now...  After they are done, I will be back to medical suspense and romance thrillers.  

Book #1 reading - Life On The Other Side - Sylvia Browne
Renowned psychic Sylvia Browne takes us on a guided tour of life after death. With warmth and  candor, she shows us the landscape of the Other Side; how spirits live; the way souls return to this world; and more.

She has an interesting series

Book #2 reading -        Losing Your Pounds of Pain

Every extra pound you carry on your body equals a pound of emotional pain you’re carrying in your heart,” says Doreen Virtue, a psychologist specializing in food disorders and the author of 22 books, including The Yo-Yo Diet Syndrome. Nearly 20 years ago, Dr. Virtue was already exploring the connection between overeating and physical and psychological abuse. At the time, many of her patients were convinced that once they lost their excess weight, their pain would disappear, whereas just the opposite was true: They had to let go of their pain before their weight would normalize. Now, Dr. Virtue shows all of us how to do what her clients have done: First, realize that fear, anger, tension, and shame (FATS, as she calls them) can lead to overeating and then—through visualization, affirmations, meditation, plus healthful eating and exercise habits—shed our emotional, and thereby our physical, “fats.”

Book #3  The Celestine Vision, Living the New Spiritual Awareness -  James Redfield

The author of "The Celestine Prophecy" helps readers explore their mission on the planet by delving into the hidden energies of individual life dramas and revealing the mystical experiences that resolve them.

a few books in the wings to read soon

WICCA/Living WICCA/The Complete Book of Incence, Oils & Brews - Scott Cunningham

The Book of Essential oils

Meditation  - Michal levin

and a new book I just picked up on Learning to love the earths stones and crystals  (have started collecting stones and crystals the last couple years)

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 12:17:11 AM »
.......Book #3  The Celestine Vision, Living the New Spiritual Awareness -  James Redfield

The author of "The Celestine Prophecy" helps readers explore their mission on the planet by delving into the hidden energies of individual life dramas and revealing the mystical experiences that resolve them.......

Thats cool that you mentioned "The Celestine Prophecy", mfredericka. ;D
I"ve just finished reading the first book in the series and have found it brilliant!
I'm definitly looking forward to reading all the other books in the series.
My wife has a couple of the others in the series...not sure off the top of my head which ones, but I'll be reading them when she done with em.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2003, 12:42:55 AM »
Oh yes Bob, an excellent series...  you should read the 10th insight next...  it is the continuing story of the one you just read.  I have read the Celestine Prophecy 3 times now and still I find something I missed before...  even though it is fiction...  it makes you feel good when reading it...  LOL, I refused to believe that it was just a story for a long time...LOL, thought it was the story of James Redfield's real life accounts.
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• JennyI
  • A Stranger in a Strange Land

• Obamarama
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2003, 02:41:56 PM »
I just finished The Nanny Diaries, excellent book!!
Good things come to those who wait...a really long time.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2003, 04:55:06 PM »
The Nanny Diaries was great, I bought it as a gift for my English bf because she was a nanny, read it before I sent it out, enjoyed it so much!

The Other Boleyn Girl has been on my Amazon wish list forever, I just keep not getting around to it, guess I'll have to hurry up!

And Rachel's Holiday was a very good book as well.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2003, 10:14:08 PM »
mfredericka, my wife does have the tenth Prophecy in the house so i'm going to begin reading it soon....tonight or tomorrow.
When I started reading the first one...i wasn't sure if it was fiction or not, it had me really wondering.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2003, 11:57:28 PM »
I just finished reading a Terry Pratchett book called The amazing Maurice and his trained rodents.  It was pretty good, I hadn't read any Terry Pratchett before and I don't think it's the first one that anyone should read (according to those who have read other books by him.) I enjoyed it none the less.

I actually only get to read at work for about 30 minutes but I enjoy it because it takes me away from the job for that time :) At the moment I'm reading a book by Daniel Silva called The English Assassin.  It's funny what you buy at the airport when you have 8 hours of time to eat up while you wait for the airplane to take off.

One book I am looking forward to is The order of the Phoenix :) I know that there's been a lot of hype about it and it may be over-rated, but I still want to buy it just because enjoyed the others in the series.  ;)so when June comes around there I'll be with all the others who want to get their grubby little hands on the new Harry Potter book!

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2003, 12:02:52 AM »
Just thought I'd add that I am going to read a few more Pratchett books, I had actually held off on reading any of his work because someone had told me that he has a strange writing style and he didn't really believe in chapters.  Also, he has a very English sense of humour (whatever that's supposed to mean?) and likes to make his joke as a play on words in the writing of his novels.  All this is possibly true, but as yet I haven't seen anything that I haven't liked. I will contintue to read my next Pratchett book when I get the chance to get one.

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2003, 04:13:12 AM »
My dh turned me on to Pratchett a few years ago, I've read all the Discworld books (except the latest, haven't gotten it yet-waiting for English friends to send it because they don't work as well in American "translations").  I actually have an autographed "Lords and Ladies"-dh went to the Discworld convention-thing a few years ago, met Pratchett and got the autograph for me, because that one was my favorite (but my faborite books overall in the series are definitely the Night Watch ones-I love them!)
Haven't read the one you mentioned, but have you read "Good Omens", which Terry Pratchett wrote with Neil Gaiman?  It's wonderful!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab