Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I don't ever want to eat processed bread again  (Read 752 times)

• Liked: 1
I don't ever want to eat processed bread again
« on: April 13, 2004, 05:59:22 PM »
After going to my fiancee's favorite bakery while at the market in Brick Lane this weekend we picked up the most amazing loafs of bread.  After tasting such hearty and filling bread i don't think i'll ever look at our light italian bread the same again.

wow.  Now i want to learn to make my own bread!

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
Re: I don't ever want to eat processed bread again
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 09:16:37 PM »
Mmm, Im spoiled. My mom has always made home-made bread since I was a baby. Very rarely have I had grocery-store bought bread. And the Italian bakeries here with their home-made breads are to die for!

I can hook you up with some recipes when you start baking your own, Aim. They're LUSH!
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 09:29:15 PM »
I am a breadmaking addict.  I cheat and use a bread maker even if it's just to go through the first rise.  

I heartily recommend the Bread Bible and The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook both by Beth Hensperger.  I have made probably about 15 of her recipes thus far and a ton to go and all of them have come out great.  I am finding it harder to appreciate the over fine texture and fakey flavors of processed breads.  Though to be honest homemade breads do get stale pretty quick.  I tend to make a loaf every two days and use leftovers for bread crumbs and baked croutons.  Yummy.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 09:56:37 PM »
I love home made bread, too. It's one of the reasons I'm dying to get my kitchenaid mixer over here! One thing I love to make (and they freeze well) is bagels. Nigella Lawson actually has a great recipe she adapted from a Jewish cookbook and it's fab! As for buying bread, I can do that, too! There's a bakery near here that does a fantastic granary bread that's even made it into Rick Stein's guide to UK food.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 11:41:05 AM »
Oooh, you've got me in the mood to bake some bread! peeps, thanks for the line on the books..will check them out!

balmerhon, did you have a breadmaking attachment for your Kitchenaid, or did it come standard? A silly reason for me asking...An upacked Kitchenaid sits in my about-to-be-restored kitchen. I don't want to open it up until the kitchen's in, but I'm dying to play with it! I got the tangerine. ;D
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 11:59:18 AM »
LisaE, the kitchenaid is a regular counter top mixer with various attachments inlcuding a dough hook for kneading which I am quite sure is standard.

I wanted the red but got white. I registered for one as a shower gift never thinking anyone would actually buy it and the only choice at Target was white.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 04:07:06 PM »
Mine came with one LisaE...Balmerhon I have the red one and a red toaster to match.  I bought the attachments for the pasta maker and the meat grinder.  I am going to bring my attachments and buy a new one there.  After years of dreaming of a KitchenAid I can't live without one -not matter how much they cost.I have my priorities straight huh?  Kitchen things before furniture!  ::)
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 04:29:28 PM »
"I have my priorities straight huh? Kitchen things before furniture!"

Vnice, I think you and I are going to get along very well!  ;D

BTW, I posted a link to a site that custom makes transformers for US appliances. You might want to look at it before making the decision to leave you US one at home and get a VERY expensive one here.

The site is:
http://www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk/about.html

I've called them and it's about £40 for an appropriate transformer for the kitchenaid. They tell me none of their customers have complained of appliances having a shorter shelf life or any other problems.

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 05:03:57 PM »
 I love to make my own bread as well,but havent used a breadmaker.I might buy one in the UK...dont know yet  ;D

Like Peep Peep said the only drawback that I see is that homemade does tend to go stale a bit sooner  :-/

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 11:36:53 PM »
homemade does tend to go stale a bit sooner

That could be true, dear Rhia, except ours gets eaten so quickly it doesn't survive long enough to get stale!!!  (But weight-warchers beware!)

Howbo.
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

Sponsored Links