Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Life In The UK Test  (Read 1218 times)

• Liked: 0
Life In The UK Test
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:41:27 AM »
Has anyone else taken this test? I took it last week and failed. I was really bummed out because I was passing all the practice tests online and went in very confident. I knew I was in trouble when I took the 4 question practice test...Now I have to take it again and pay another £34  :\\\'(
"I shall call you Squishy and you will be my Squishy"

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: Life In The UK Test
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:48:43 AM »
I took mine about 3 weeks ago.  Not to gloat, but I went through it in 4 minutes and passed.

The best suggestions that I have is to use the official study guide (green book).  It basically covered every question that I came across.  Also the official test booklet (blue) I went through test after test and was passing them with 19-22 range for each test.

What areas did they suggest that you study on (should have been on your results page).
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:31:41 PM »
Do they charge for the study books? 
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 05:34:57 PM »
Of course!

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:49:33 PM »
After the scandal last week, they are going to have to increase the fraud detection and defence systems at testing sites across the UK. 

That'll cost a few bob or two.  Can guess who gets to pay?   ::)

• My blog!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 06:19:01 PM »
I missed this but just read up on it. Here is a link to the article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/nov/15/immigration
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 07:00:19 PM »
Wow, the cheating is getting much more sophisticated.  Used to be that 'choosing examiners who can't differentiate between Chinese people' was the way to go:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/mobile/bbc_news/uk/733/73315/story7331550.shtml

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:55:09 PM »
After the scandal last week, they are going to have to increase the fraud detection and defence systems at testing sites across the UK. 

That'll cost a few bob or two.  Can guess who gets to pay?   ::)

Who, in your opinion, ought to pay?

• Banned

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 08:06:53 PM »
No one should pay, as there should be no tests.  It is an exercise in revenue raising, and the tests are a memory test, nothing more.  They are a total waste of time.

Vicky

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 08:11:16 PM »
They are a total waste of time.

Have to agree with you there.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »
The people who dreamed up this scheme should pay.  What does my ability to answer questions on sports, for example, have to do with my "citizenship"?  It may be part of UK life but it wouldn't be part of my life in the UK!  I can see requiring people to understand how the government works but why do I have to know what they do in Scotland if I'm never ever going to live there?
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 08:20:41 PM »
Is it the idea of having a test, or the format of the UK test that upsets people? Plenty of countries have citizenship tests. France, Canada, Germany, Australia, the United States, the Netherlands, Denmark, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, that I know about. Probably quite a few more.

Interesting Unesco paper here

http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0016/001607/160772M.pdf#page=3

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 08:34:24 PM »
I wasn't totally opposed to the idea of a test, and I actually found the information in the study guide the Home Office produced to be quite helpful--for instance, how do GCSE's work? What does the Citizens Advice Bureau do? etc.   The format of the test itself though was ridiculous.  I spent forever studying for a glorified pub quiz.  How in the world does it make me a better citizen to remember that in exactly 1858 women gained the right to seek a divorce?

I prepared hard and was feeling relatively confident until I actually took my test.  The one thing nobody had prepared me for, so I'll share it here, was the huge number of questions I got about Wales.  I knew I had to know Wales-specific stuff and felt confident, but there were quite a few Wales questions on my test that did not appear anywhere on any practice exams.  So for those living outside of England, be warned, learn everything mentioned about your own country, even if you have no reason to believe it will be on the test and even if it only constitutes a line or two in the book.

Luckily, I did still pass, but I suspect it was close.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 08:34:24 PM »
I believe the US citizenship test is all basic 7th grade Civics class stuff.  No sports questions.  No questions about what they do in Oklahoma or whatever.  I think if you make up your mind to become a citizen of another country you might take a little pride in learning about its history and government.  And learning the language.  But what I've seen of the UK sample tests its pretty absurd.
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 08:40:04 PM »
I think if you make up your mind to become a citizen of another country you might take a little pride in learning about its history and government.  And learning the language. 

Couldn't agree more. That's why I'm learning Spanish and reading Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab