Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Going Down The Marriage Route?  (Read 1250 times)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Going Down The Marriage Route?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 08:49:24 PM »
I looked into this not long ago when trying to decide where to get married.  Most states have residency requirements and/or waiting periods, and some require blood tests, but I know that Illinois does not.  No drive-thru chapels, but you can get your license and go to a judge the same day, no fuss.  The license is pretty cheap too.  That said, I ended up going to Vegas, it's the simplest, most straightforward place in the world to get married, probably worth the cost of a flight.  Check out www.usmarriagelaws.com for state-specific info.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

Re: Going Down The Marriage Route?
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 09:23:40 PM »
I will assume you understand that while between the two of you, you know where you stand in your relationship, UKBA needs to know that you are married and intend to live together as husband and wife for the forseeable future, so that they don't feel that it is a sham marriage.  (Not that it is, just don't want a casual comment making things more difficult for the two of you)

As kitsonk stated, you will have to prove to your relationship is real and you intend to live together as a husband and wife in a lasting relationship.  Also appreciate the fact that you will have to prove that you HAVE (as in past tense, previously) been in a relationship (providing personal documentation of that)...there's information on these requirements in other threads also. 

In all honesty, my hubby and I got married before we really wanted to, in order to have the necessary documentation for me to move to the UK...BUT, I think the difference between my situation and your situation is that we WERE sure we wanted to get married from the beginning, we just sped up the date.  You sound as if you're NOT sure you want to actually "BE" married.  You will have to "mask" this doubt when applying for the visa.  I don't recommend lying at all, but you wouldn't want to say "We got married so she could move over here and we'll just see what happens."

I promise you this is not meant as a verbal lashing...BUT...your threads seem to imply you are wanting a "quick fix" and there isn't one.  Getting a visa requires lots of time and effort. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab