Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: List of documents for a Spousal Visa married 10yrs, married and living in the US  (Read 578 times)

• Liked: 1
If this question has been asked before then I'm sorry.  I did do a search here but some of the responses didn't seem to apply to me so I was hoping there was someone on here that could help who had/has a similar situation to me.

I am going to be applying for my DH's Spousal Visa online soon so I would like a heads up on what documents they will ask us for. 

I am a Dual UK/US Citizen, DH is a US Citizen.  Married in the USA in March 1999 (10yrs ago), been living together in the USA for the past 10yrs.  4 vacations to the UK 1-3 weeks at a time over the past 10yrs.

DH has a way to support himself, a police pension that is paid every month to him + savings. I have no job in the UK or one to go to when we move back.  Will be staying with my parents temporarily for 4-8 weeks while looking for a house/flat rental.

What documents are they going to ask for?

I assumed that these documents will be asked for but can anyone add to this list as I couldn't find the list through the other websites.

DH's Divorce Certificate.
Our marriage certificate
His old and new passports.
My passport or a copy of it ??.
Letter which states that he will get a set amount of pension every month for life.
Last 3 months of current checking account statements ??.
Last 3 months of savings account statements.
Letter from my Mum & Dad about the type of accommodation we will be staying in temporarily.
Completed Application form.
Biometrics.
Color photographs.

Is there anything I am missing or have included that I don't need to?

Thanks in advance.................I just want to be prepared.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:50:41 PM by Alsatianx2 »

Is there not anyone out there who has applied for a spousal visa in recent months.   ???

• Liked: 0
That list looks okay to me so far, but I'll put in the disclaimer that I haven't actually *applied* yet, I've just been preparing for it. If you're going to be staying with your parents, I believe you'll need to include some sort of rental agreement/mortgage paperwork to show that there's sufficient room for you guys. And if you don't want to submit your passport, I also believe a certified birth certificate and a photocopy of the information page of your passport will suffice (that's what my fiance plans on doing).
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

• UF College of Vet Med Class of 2010!!
I thought if you had been married more than four years you can go straight for the ILR? Or am I mistaken? Cuz thats the route I plan on taking :-D.
"Treat for the treatable" - Uncle Mikey's Maxim # 1

I thought you still had to apply for a spousal visa, but then you were allowed to apply for ILR before your two year probationary period is up, as where everyone else has to wait those two years. But I don't know for sure what those rules are :(

And I forgot to add, you'll need to write a sponsor letter letting the ECO know that you're aware of his application.

• Liked: 3596
I thought you still had to apply for a spousal visa, but then you were allowed to apply for ILR before your two year probationary period is up, as where everyone else has to wait those two years. But I don't know for sure what those rules are :(

You don't have to get the spousal visa first if you have already taken the Life in the UK test. The reason (as far as I know) for getting the spousal visa first is so that you can take the Life in the UK test when you arrive and then apply for your ILR. However, if you want to (and have the time/money to do so), you can fly to the UK as a visitor, take the Life in the UK test, fly back to the US and apply directly for ILE, which means you bypass the spousal visa part.

Brilliant, I wasn't 100% about that bit :) Makes sense then, methinks, if you can afford the ticket to do it the way ksand24 put it.

Thanks everyone for your input..........I would prefer not to have to send my Passport but sending my birth certificate feels worse.  If I have to do any emergency travel to the UK and back then I can use my US Passport so I guess sending my UK one will be fine.

My Mum has already written a letter about the accommodation including a copy of the deed showing them as owners with no mortgage and also a bank statement stating that they can financially allow us to stay although they don't need that part as my husband has a monthly pension that will more than allow us to pay rent and utilities, food etc...

I will also do my own letter to cover why she included the financial bank statement and that my DH has his own funds and will not need assistance unless in a dire emergency (eg. flights back to the USA at short notice because of family illness).  

So I take it my DH also has to write a letter, that makes sense.

My Mum has just sent over the Life in the UK Test booklet etc...  but we probably won't be able to afford the flight over for hubby to do that before hand.  I will keep it in my mind though.

Could someone please tell me the difference in prices that we will have to fork over for going both routes.

Route 1.  Apply from the USA for the Spousal Visa with the condition of taking the life test in the UK and then applying for ILR and then for Citizenship after 3 yrs.

Route 2.  Fly to the UK, take the test, come home and apply for What? exactly. and then fly to the UK and then apply for Citizenship after 3 yrs.

What are the costs and time lines on both these routes?

How do you apply for the test from the USA and set it up, pay for it and know where to go?  Does anyone have any info on that.  I went to the website for the test and it seemed really complicated to book a test etc, in fact looked near on possible for a short (few days trip).

Thanks in advance.

• Liked: 12
However, if you want to (and have the time/money to do so), you can fly to the UK as a visitor, take the Life in the UK test, fly back to the US and apply directly for ILE, which means you bypass the spousal visa part.
Does that mean that if you are excused from having to take the Life in UK test (on the basis of being a superannuated old biddy) and have been married for 30 odd years, you could go straight to the ILE??
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Yes.

Vicky