Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Additional work when on work permit  (Read 420 times)

• Liked: 0
Additional work when on work permit
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:11:27 PM »
Hi all,

I am on a 5 year work visa, teaching at a university. I am wondering if anyone has advice on the following two situations:

1. If I give a talk at another university and am given an honorarium in return ($100-$500), does this count as some kind of problematic employment income?

2. Is there any way to take on supplemental paid work, on a one-off or occasional basis? For instance, could I be paid to lead a weekend workshop, or teach a week-long course, or consult on a manuscript, etc.? Is this completely out of bounds, or something I would need an additional WP for, or something that is fine as is so long as it is minor and within my career field, etc.?

I have searched the forums using every combination of terms I could think of, to no avail.

Sincere thanks for any guidance or advice.

retrobolted.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Additional work when on work permit
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:19:18 PM »
You are allowed to take supplementary work as long as it is in teaching (as that is the area the permit was granted for), it is not a more senior role, and you are not self employed.

This is clearly stated in the work permit guidance...but as they don't exist anymore, the guidance has been removed  ::)

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 11:32:01 PM »
This is what the rules are for T2 Supplementary work:

An applicant can undertake work that is supplementary to that for which his/her certificate of sponsorship has been issued. Supplementary employment must meet the following criteria:
• must be in the same profession at the same professional level as the work for which the certificate of sponsorship was issued;
• must be no more than 20 hours per week
• must be outside of the applicant’s normal working hours for which his/her certificate of sponsorship was issued.

Was the old guidance about the same? And isn't it on the back of the actual work permit too?

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 11:48:21 PM »
Nope.  The WP regs were different.   I'll see if I have a copy lying around at work tomorrow.

It definitely didn't say 'same level' but was only restricted to 'not higher'.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 02:29:53 PM »
Thanks Vicky, that is a big help.

I managed to find the following online, which might help others looking for regulations, etc., relevant to the old system:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/workpermits/businessandcommercial/bcguide0408.pdf

The bit about supplementary employment is paragraph 148.

all best,

retrobolted.

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 02:40:46 PM »
Well done.  That saved me a rumage through my files!

Vicky

Sponsored Links