Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: how do salaries compare with style of living?  (Read 1823 times)

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
Re: how do salaries compare with style of living?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2005, 02:33:21 PM »
You can live fine in London as long as you find someone to live with and don't want to live right in the city...you won't be able to go out every night or buy tons of stuff, but I can put some money away & am going on vacation next week...it's a matter of prioritizing.  Plus I love London so it's worth not buying new clothing regularly!

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2005, 05:53:50 PM »
(like me spotting that vacancy as a graphic designer in Devon the other day, for 13k/yr ... first I thought it was a part-time job but NO!  :o )

That's gotta be a starting salary for a graduate at a pretty low-end kind of place. The Southwest isn't exactly cheap and a designer with a bit of experience would make more than that in Devon unless it's some sort of mom-and-pop kinda place.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2005, 06:10:15 PM »
Yeah -- it does sound really low!  I'm up North and I've paid attention to ads for graphic design (because of you, balmer!    [smiley=blush.gif]), and the salaries are pretty decent.  Maybe the 13K job was aimed someone with no experience or something?  Or maybe it was a typo?   ;)

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2005, 10:39:49 PM »

We live in the Southeast (Reading - 30 miles from London) and its very expensive.  Food shopping is less expensive over here...than in the states...which is a good thing!  ;) Also holidays (vacations) are very reasonible! Clothing and funiture are a bit high but you can catch some good sales if you really look.

On a salary of £25K...the take home (net) is roughly £1500 a month.

Agree with Aimiloo... a £ pretty much = a $.

Julie

• Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2005, 06:37:45 AM »
thanks everyone for the great responses.  sounds like i dont have much to worry about.  its just a scary thought that id be paying the same amount in pounds as i do in dollars, and to be making less pounds than dollars over all.  oh well, ive got six months to fiugre it out!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2005, 07:39:37 AM »
Chris, the expense that makes it seem like $=£ comes in a couple of forms. Some good, and some not fair at all. The latter of those two is usually when a company brings their US product to the UK. Because of a whole slew of reasons (some because of the higher cost of manufacture, some because of government regulations, some because of a roller-coaster exchange rate), the price is going to be much higher over here than it is over there.

But there is good news, too. Although the UK charges a massive 17.5 percent tax on some items, this tax does account for a good portion of the "higher cost of living", but it goes toward a lot of things that you then don't have to pay someone else for. Medical care, for instance. Prescriptions. Also, there's no tax on some things over here that are taxed through the nose in the US...winnings, for example. That show, "Who Wants to be a Millionaire"...in the US you're clearing about $600,000. (Not an accurrate amount; I guessed!) In the UK you're winning about the equivalent of $1,920,000 (due to exchange rate and there's no tax on it).

Okay, so some people take out additional medical insurance, and some people use private medical practices, and the waiting lines for an operation can be more than a year. And it's true that gambling is NOT a way to count on any sort of living, but think of the chances of winning on "Who Wants to be a Millionare"...the population alone of US vs. UK  ;)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Banned

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2005, 04:21:23 AM »
i think 30K in the US is the same as 30K in the UK and that the exchange rate means jack squat???

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2005, 08:33:43 AM »
i think 30K in the US is the same as 30K in the UK and that the exchange rate means jack squat???

???   ???

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2005, 10:12:15 AM »
im with otterpop. were those "???" not meant to be there?

Sponsored Links