Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: If Brexit Happens...  (Read 5602 times)

• Liked: 149
Re: If Brexit Happens...
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »
As was mentioned on the news this morning......Cameron made a mistake in promising the referendum. He didn't need to, but was likely covering his butt.

As far as the chart showing the ages of people voting for each side (which everybody should have known before the vote). I guess you could make a simple conclusion like "damn old people made a decision that zapped us all". But.....when haven't the older people pretty well always been in control of governments etc? Older people like things to stay the same.....younger people like things to change.....as it has been in every generation. If you have a chart sitting around with the % of each age group that DID vote.....that might be interesting. I'm wondering if the older people voted in a higher %......
Fred

• Liked: 6
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2016, 04:09:11 PM »
EU parliament president: we want Britain out as soon as possible

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/top-eu-leader-we-want-britain-out-as-soon-as-possible

It may not be as easy as saying, "Oh we'll just adopt the Norway option." It may get ugly.

Agree.   Can we have some adults in charge please?   It is in nobody's interests to have ongoing financial turmoil, and I think Mr Juncker is sorely mistaken if he thinks he will scare other countries away from a referendum of their own by making brexit as hard on the UK as he can.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2016, 04:21:52 PM »
Anyone else see that the Brexiters lied with some of their propaganda?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/nigel-farage-350-million-pledge-to-fund-the-nhs-was-a-mistake/

They have no intention of putting the 350 million GBP into the NHS even though they had NUMEROUS things making it seem like they would. You can see them on the link, one of which was an entire bright red bus.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »
Anyone else see that the Brexiters lied with some of their propaganda?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/nigel-farage-350-million-pledge-to-fund-the-nhs-was-a-mistake/

They have no intention of putting the 350 million GBP into the NHS even though they had NUMEROUS things making it seem like they would. You can see them on the link, one of which was an entire bright red bus.

I never believed for a second that they actually intended to do this.

I saw an advert on TV a few weeks ago from the Leave campaign doing a compare and contrast between the NHS in the EU and the NHS outside the EU. It made it seem like if we left the EU, we would all suddenly get luxurious, private rooms, no more waiting times and perfect care. My reaction to it was 'what a load of bollocks!'.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2016, 07:15:27 PM »
I never believed for a second that they actually intended to do this.

I saw an advert on TV a few weeks ago from the Leave campaign doing a compare and contrast between the NHS in the EU and the NHS outside the EU. It made it seem like if we left the EU, we would all suddenly get luxurious, private rooms, no more waiting times and perfect care. My reaction to it was 'what a load of bollocks!'.

I was going to bring up the same advert! It boiled my blood to be honest. The lady was in agony in a waiting room in A&E whilst in EU, and apparently happier (and miraculously not as ill somehow) with no wait if we were out.

I too knew that was a ridiculous advert. Who thought that was going to be a good idea? Worst of all sounds like people fell for it.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2016, 08:04:24 AM »
I am reading a bit about polling this morning. I feel like they didn't get it quite right. This with the adjustments following the general election failure.

It was very close, but isn't that when you need them?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 63
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2016, 06:27:54 PM »
Anybody here remember when George Bush talked the economy down in the USA in 2000? There's a lesson there, or should be.

Nothing happens overnight, and wild swings after a momentous vote are inevitable. If the panic stops, I suspect the wild swings will settle sooner rather than later. The City got it wrong, because so many are totally out of touch with the mainstream.

I voted leave, and have no regrets. DH frequently calls me a left-wing loonie, and he isn't joking nor does he say it with fondness. Theoretically I should have voted remain, as I am also well educated, have mixed race grand kids, and fit a number of other demographic patterns for the remain camp. I have many reasons for voting Leave, and they are mine. Your mileage may vary, but geographic divisions notwithstanding, the clear majority within the UNITED Kingdom voted leave. Neither side can claim to be above reproach in this campaign, and IMHO, the sooner the sour grapes camp stops whining, the better off we'll all be.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 163
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2016, 07:38:47 PM »
...the clear majority within the UNITED Kingdom voted leave.

52% is a clear majority now? I realize the definition of "majority" is "more than half," but crowing about winning because you're part of the good, solid mainstream of Britain when your side won by 2% seems like poor sportsmanship.

...the sooner the sour grapes camp stops whining, the better off we'll all be.

[sarcasm] Yeah, that attitude will help bridge the gap. [/sarcasm]

• Liked: 720
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2016, 08:28:36 PM »
... when your side won by 2% ......

It was actually 4%  (52 - 48).  (I'm not on any side, I just don't like seeing poor arithmetic)

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2016, 08:34:09 PM »
Yeah, I was kind of wondering if that would "inflame" anybody. I kind of agree however....just could have been put in gentler terms. Everybody knew what the rules were ahead of time and the 2 million+ online signature folks weren't screaming before.

Although.....in my math there was almost 4% difference.

I do wish they had put something into the referendum WELL ahead of time stating that the majority had to be not just over 50%.....but maybe 55%. 60% is really hard for anybody to get in the voting world.  I also would really really like to see some statistics on what the % of voters (out of the total possible) in each age group who could have voted....did vote. I've seen a comment in an article that stated (very unscientifically) that the % was much higher in the older ages. I can't help but wonder if people got a bit lazy on the Remain side of things and just assumed they were going to win and didn't vote......I know I thought they would win. Pissed off older people tend to vote in larger numbers.
Fred

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2016, 08:52:39 PM »
The age demographics may come clear later, I don't know.  I did hear that in the 2015 General Election the % of eligible young folks who actually did vote was about 30% less than the over 65  group.  Young folks just don't vote in the same sort of numbers that older folks do.

As for the on-line petition, I was reading a thread on another forum in the USA and a poster there said he went and signed the petition even though he did so from a USA ip address and  is not eligible to vote, he said there few if any checks on who was signing the petition.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2016, 09:06:45 PM »
It was actually 4%  (52 - 48).  (I'm not on any side, I just don't like seeing poor arithmetic)

Thanks for catching my mistake.

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2016, 09:12:46 PM »
The BBC has a good page on the statistics and demographics of the vote, plus a short comparison on the last EU referendum in 1975 when Scotland was one of the few areas to vote strongly to leave the EU (Common Market)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36616028

• Liked: 533
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2016, 09:20:29 PM »
The sooner the sour grapes camp stops whining, the better off we'll all be.

Isn't this a bit dangerous? Can we perhaps look back at other times when people were told to be quiet, and chose not to?

Too, do we know when, or if, Article 50 will be activated?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2016, 09:24:13 PM »
Can we perhaps look back at other times when people were told to be quiet, and chose not to?

You mean......like in every election ever?  ;D
Fred

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab