Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: First time filing taxes  (Read 1765 times)

• Liked: 0
First time filing taxes
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:26:30 PM »

This will be my first time filing my US taxes with money earned in the UK. Last year I wasn't working so I filed with earnings from the US only. This is all new to me now since I have had no US earnings and only foreign earned income for 2010.

1. What forms do I need in order to complete my taxes? I don't believe we receive a W2 form here so what documents do I need from my current employer in order to get started?

2. Once I have the correct forms from my employer what form(s) should I use to file and where can I find them?

3. I am American and my husband is British. Do I have to file as Married? and do I have to enter my husbands earnings or just my own? What exchange rate do I use to calculate GBP to dollars?

4. This seems a bit obvious to me but I just want to be 100% sure. I used to live in Arizona before I moved to England. I haven't lived there in almost 2 years. Do I still need to file a State return?

5. When is the deadline for expats to file?

• Liked: 102
Re: First time filing taxes
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:34:41 PM »
Take a look at the IRS website:

http://london.usembassy.gov/irs/index.html

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:46:06 PM »
I have and I also emailed them but I never got a reply... so I am asking here because some of the information is not clear to me on that site.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »
I have the same questions. I don't understand why we have to file federal taxes in the US even if we haven't lived or worked there for the year we are filing.
Follow your bliss.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »
The US requires its citizens to be taxed on worldwide income, regardless of where it was earned.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 08:34:37 PM »
Oh no! I wasn't at all prepared for that financially. Will I find more information about this on the website below? From others who have experienced this, does it end up being a lot that you've had to pay?! We are already taxed loads here!
Follow your bliss.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 08:40:56 PM »
Oh no! I wasn't at all prepared for that financially. Will I find more information about this on the website below? From others who have experienced this, does it end up being a lot that you've had to pay?! We are already taxed loads here!

You'll only end up with US tax to pay if your income is over $91,000ish. Probably nothing to worry about ;).

http://london.usembassy.gov/irs/irsfeie.html

• Professional tax preparation for American expatriates
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 04:25:29 AM »
Even with the income much higher than amount available for exclusion, U.S. citizens residing in UK and paying UK taxes usually end up filing a return with zero U.S. tax liability. Moreover, professionally prepared tax return carries over and accumulates the "surplus" - excess of taxes paid to UK over taxes that would have been imposed on the same income in U.S. This carried over amount may come in handy and applied toward U.S. taxes on foreign earned income in a year when the taxpayer situation changes and he owes money to the IRS.

You can find more on this topic at https://www.taxesforexpats.com/expat-tax-advice/why-file.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:29:13 AM by taxesforexpats »
Professional tax preparation for American expatriates by a Federally-Authorized EA - www.TaxesForExpats.com

• Liked: 111
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 12:17:22 PM »
Moreover, professionally prepared tax return carries over and accumulates the "surplus"

Just to be pedantic, a ‘non-professional’ can achieve the same results with just a pencil and a calculator. Granted, it does require patience, sufficient inquiry, and would only be rewarding to those who enjoy a challenge and/or cannot afford the cost of professional assistance. The above explanation of the function of carry back / carry over is certainly informative for those unaware of its advantage, but I would note that it also applies to unearned income and AMT as well, I believe (a non-professional).

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 12:33:59 PM »
Ye
Just to be pedantic, a ‘non-professional’ can achieve the same results with just a pencil and a calculator. Granted, it does require patience, sufficient inquiry, and would only be rewarding to those who enjoy a challenge and/or cannot afford the cost of professional assistance. The above explanation of the function of carry back / carry over is certainly informative for those unaware of its advantage, but I would note that it also applies to unearned income and AMT as well, I believe (a non-professional).

Yes, absolutely. One may approach this task as a hobby - akin to building model airplanes or ships inside bottles.

However the risk/reward is much larger - as an improperly prepared return (like families in a famous Tolstoy quote - wrong returns can come in a multitude of flavours) can cost the taxpayer dearly. Meanwhile one prepared by a knowledgeable preparer (who as you correctly pointed out doesn't have to be a professional) can yield significant tax savings and even an outright refund.
Professional tax preparation for American expatriates by a Federally-Authorized EA - www.TaxesForExpats.com

• Liked: 111
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 02:15:14 PM »
Ye
Yes, absolutely. One may approach this task as a hobby - akin to building model airplanes or ships inside bottles.

Hobby?

Aside from the inference, I’m somewhat surprised that the knowledge of procedures for filing US or UK taxes would be compared to a hobby. Particularly when it’s your own taxes and the penalties/interest are high for mistakes, as you point out. An interesting take on the attitude of professional tax preparers.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »
" it does require patience, sufficient inquiry, and would only be rewarding to those who enjoy a challenge"

That sounds like a hobby to me  ;)

That was only an attempt at humor on my part, don't take it too seriously.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 10:29:23 AM »
Ahem....

Does anyone know the answers to the original questions  ???

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 845
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »
I only know some of these answers

1. What forms do I need in order to complete my taxes? I don't believe we receive a W2 form here so what documents do I need from my current employer in order to get started?

Nothing particular- just need to be able to add up 1 years worth of pay and then convert to US dollars. You can find an exchange rate on the IRS website

2. Once I have the correct forms from my employer what form(s) should I use to file and where can I find them?
You file on form 2555EZ or form 2555- You can get these forms off the IRS website. however ,if you're over the income threshold $91,000 or about there, you'll need to do other things with tax credits, housing exclusion, etc.  Which starts to go into a territory I know nothing about!

5. When is the deadline for expats to file?
You get an automatic extension until June 15 and then can get an extension up until October 15th to file.

There's some good information here:
http://taxes.about.com/od/taxhelp/a/ForeignIncome.htm
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 102
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:05:29 PM »
1. The unofficial IRS exchange rates can be found here:
http://london.usembassy.gov/irs/irsxchng.html
2. Don't forget to also file TD F 90.22.1 if you need

Sponsored Links