Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Will I lose US citizenship if I naturalize as a UK citizen? Info/answers  (Read 17796 times)

• Liked: 1
In what way? I haven't had any problems so far. Both consulates told me I could use either passport. And, if you ARE a US citizen (and have the paperwork to prove it), wouldn't they have to treat you as one?

Both Immigration and airlines are enforcing the law more strictly now. So travel at your own risk to the US on a British passport.

Airlines do have the right to refuse boarding if they feel you have a claim to US citizenship.

And to point out the obvious, if we enter the US on a UK passport, then we'll have to be digitally fingerprinted and photographed on entry. Being on the index as an alien might someday prove awkward. In the worst case, and purely hypothetically, as indicating a willingness to renounce US citizenship.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
In the worst case, and purely hypothetically, as indicating a willingness to renounce US citizenship.

For convenience's sake, I'd rather not renounce. But honestly if I had to choose between UK and US citizenship, there's no contest. I'd much rather hold onto my UK passport.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
  • Liked: 0
I'm printing this for my mom - she thinks if I move there I will lose my US citizenship - she couldn't be more wrong!! Now I have proof :) Thanks!
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Me and my Brit
Simon and I have gone round and round on this.  I'm so glad there is good information out there on this as I don't feel I want to give my my US citizenship.

My question is - is there anything I have to DO while living in the UK, married to a British citizen, to maintain US citizenship, or do I just alway keep it without actively doing anything? 

For example, I thought you HAD to pay US taxes to maintain US citizenship, or visit the US a certain number of times and stay a certain period of time. 

My aunt and uncle lived in South America for 8 years in the '70's for the company he worked for.  They were required to maintain a residence in the US and come back home to stay for a certain amount of time in order to keep their US citizenship.  Could this have been because of work visas - now that I'm thinking about it?  -the ah ha light just came on a bit.  Dimly, but on is on.   ;D

- this is the most fantastic site.  I can't imagine making these types of life decisions without someplace like this to go for help!!!  Thanks!!!  :-*

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

You dont have to DO anything.
You're a US citizen until the day you officially renounce it in front of government officials.

You're a US citizen until the day you officially renounce it in front of government officials.

And even then they still expect you to complete tax returns for 10 years following your renunciation. 

• Me and my Brit
Ah ha!  So I guess therein lies the question I thought I was getting at!  Since I will be retaining my US citizenship, I will be REQUIRED to pay US taxes?  For the privelege of retaining said citizenship I suppose?  I know I'm drifing into the taxes discussion, but they are a bit tied, aren't they?

Thanks so much!!

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

For the privelege of retaining said citizenship I suppose? 

I fail to see the 'privelege' in it, but i'm sure Pittpanther's mum would like to remind me!   ;)   ;)

• Liked: 7
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

I know this is a fairly old thread but I just wanted to say that I went to apply for my British citizenship today at the Extremely helpful Brent Town Hall and on the fee form it said you could renounce British citizenship if you wanted to but it cost £120 to do so!!!

You've gotta really hate Britain to pay £120 just to renounce.

Also, in regards to US taxes, yes, you do have to file your taxes but the consequences of not doing so does not mean you will lose your US citizenship, instead it means you can be fined and/or jailed for not filing/paying if they catch you.

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
As far as I have been advised..and travel agents have to keep up on passports and visas and the lot...if you travel out on a US passport you can not travel back in with a uk one..

if you go into the states with a US one you have to travel out on it...and when going through immigrations say at manchester you have to show the US one

And yes airlines are cracking down..even a misspelt name can cause problems..even by one letter..and let me tell you BA is the WORSE!!!! They will make you buy a new ticket.........

Don't know how many times I have to ask is that your first name as per your passport..been stung several times after booking a ticket..they tell me "oh i go by that name"..grrr.....

As far as I have been advised..and travel agents have to keep up on passports and visas and the lot...if you travel out on a US passport you can not travel back in with a uk one..

Not true.  Before the US asked for the passenger manifesto from the airlines ahead of the flight, I could check-in at Heathrow with my British passport and then show my US passport on arrival into the US.  Now I can't do that.  In the US, I always have to show my US passport at check-in as that is required, but I can show my British passport on arrival in the UK.  If the immigration officer asked me questions if I showed my US passport, regarding length of stay, return ticket, etc., what do I say, "Oh, I'm a British citizen".  He would wonder why I didn't go to the UK/EU line. 

BTW, I'm entering the UK as a Brit, not as an American, so the US has no authority of what passport I should show when entering the country of my other nationality.

bvamin

That's definitely not true MeShell.  Travel agents are notorious for giving out incorrect information about things like passports and visas. 

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
Well....anyone can do as they like....I can only advise.....and this is what we were told on a course as I did ask the same questions........being american and wondering about having a UK passport.... ???

Even tho I have ILR stamped in my passport and my name has been changed on my US passport to my married name...I STILL take my marriage license with me and my paper work from the IOM government saying I can stay

You only have to get a immigration officer with a bad day and it can make it hard for you....

When traveling into the USA in Chicago one time...first time back in the USA with my hubby........I went through the USA line and then waited for him to go through the foreign line and went up to him while he was getting it stamped and was told off for not going through with him in the foreign line........

If you have both passports take them both...let them choose which one they want to stamp.........

Sponsored Links