Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What to expect when arriving for the first time  (Read 989 times)

• Liked: 0
What to expect when arriving for the first time
« on: April 25, 2008, 03:13:59 PM »
Well, we have our Visa's in hand now...our one way tickets have been purchased for May 7th to fly out of Nashville. This is the first time my children will fly, and I'm terrified of running into issues at LHR with them. Do I go through the same line as always? Do I just tell them that we're there to settle with my husband? I'm trying to pack my life into suitcases, so there is a large variety of things in them, anything I should be concerned about taking in our checked luggage?

The biggest question however...is there any chance that they can turn us away if I answer something wrong, or they don't like something about us?

Probably all silly questions, but with everything else that's going on with the move, these are the things that consistently run through my head  ???

Past experience, if not forgotten, is a guide to the future.

• Paul & Terri O'Neale
    • Special Start Birth
Re: What to expect when arriving for the first time
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 03:48:30 PM »
Yes, you should expect some questions just to confirm your application. If your husband is coming through with you, it shouldn't be any big deal. But we went through alone and it wasn't a huge thing. They may ask things like where you will be living, what your husband does for work, will you be working/what you do. Since you have your children with you, I would recommend having the signed letters from your ex in your carry-ons just in case (assuming they returned those with your app...if not...probably no big thing). The questions aren't that hard, just a 2nd check if you will that you are legit. And get used to answering them...I get them every time I come and go into the UK. Now I even get questioned when I go back to the US.

In terms of which line, that will depend. They sometimes have a line at least at Terminal 3 for those holding UK resident visas...if it is open you are lucky. Last time I came through we were on one of the first flights of the day and it wasn't (but we got to go to the front of the line anyway because I had my 2 yo with me). Sometimes if you are traveling with your spouse they will let you in the UK line (but rarely). Even if you have to go through the regular line though no biggy just a long wait.
Terri P O'Neale

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »
There's an advisory on which queue a spouse should join.  In the advisories area of the board...

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 08:21:13 PM »
I'm leaving on May 7th as well! :D

I figure when I'll get there, I'll ask the person who is up front helping people which queue I should go in, that way I won't get in trouble for getting it wrong.

I'm a bit surprised that I'll still have to answer all the routine questions.  Those type of things always make me nervous even though I know I've done nothing wrong!  :P

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 845
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 09:00:50 PM »
I'm a bit surprised that I'll still have to answer all the routine questions.  Those type of things always make me nervous even though I know I've done nothing wrong!  :P

It never ends though... I got it last week coming back through.... 
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=42830.msg602349#msg602349
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 09:04:59 PM by phatbeetle »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:18:31 PM »
Wow, how come you didn't tell her immediately you had a visa?  ;)

Right now my husband does not have a job yet.  (He moved back over a month ago after stay in the US with me for 3 and a half years.)  He's been interviewing and is supposed to hear back from one very soon.  Also he's been living with his parents and they are looking for houses to buy.  All of this was outlined in my application and I was approved, but still it would be nice to tell them my husband works for such-and-such company and has a house, rather than the former.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 845
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 10:25:06 PM »
Well I didn't tell her, because of the feeling of doing something "wrong" - I'd hate to get sent back to the states when I live here!  I know that's like next to impossible, but you never know. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• http://www.paoperations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 10:48:06 PM »
Just be yourself and relax you have a visa and when I went through they asked I said we had just got married and they were congrats hope you enjoy living over in the UK, and that was that.

My wife had more problems going into the USA for us to get married.

But with the kids they are normally very helpful not chatty but they get it done and your out of there good luck with your move and enjoy your flight over, make sure you have relavant documents with you, my wife always carries everything in her bag for the kids but thats it really.

Good luck again

Indy
I hope we get better weather with the new year I am getting rained out.

Good luck to everyone with respective visa applications.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 12:30:41 PM »
I will do my best to remain calm when going through...I've only had one problem going into the UK in all of my trips, and that was just this last time. I made the mistake of telling them that I was unemployed, and I didn't have my return itinerary with me...won't do that again. Truth be told, I've had issues coming back into the states almost every time. 

Thanks again for all of the advice, and I'll be sure to check out the board regarding which line to stand in.

Where are you flying out of Eruname? I'm out of Nashville...

Past experience, if not forgotten, is a guide to the future.

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 05:40:40 PM »
Hello, I'm new here!

All of your responses about the types of questions that will be asked by the IO are very helpful. I just received my spouse visa and am set to leave Chicago on June 29. Does anyone know if there's anything else that needs to be done upon entry to the UK for the first time under this type of visa? Do I need to register with the American Embassy?

Not that I *really* expected a Welcome Packet from the British Consulate, but I had a wee bit of hope. I guess that's what the internet is for!  :)

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
Hello, I'm new here!

All of your responses about the types of questions that will be asked by the IO are very helpful. I just received my spouse visa and am set to leave Chicago on June 29. Does anyone know if there's anything else that needs to be done upon entry to the UK for the first time under this type of visa? Do I need to register with the American Embassy?

Not that I *really* expected a Welcome Packet from the British Consulate, but I had a wee bit of hope. I guess that's what the internet is for!  :)

Welcome! Yes, you've definitely come to the right place for info.

You can register with the embassy, but you don't have to. I have not. Not for any good reason--just lazy.

I would definitely have a look at the ILR application (Indefinite Leave to Remain visa, which you will need to apply for in 2 years). You will need to start gathering evidence for this right away, so I think it's a good idea to see what you will be asked to provide:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresidency/settlement/applicationtypes/applicationformset(m)/?view=Standard

You're not flying through Dublin, by any chance? There are numerous threads about that, but if you are flying direct to the UK, you will be fine.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 10:08:22 AM »
I guess I was really lucky, I did bring all my evidence with me but all they did was look at my spousal visa and asked me to tell them my husband's name - that was in August 2006. In fact, I think they've always asked me my husband's name even when he was travelling with me (but went through the UK line with his family).

Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
I guess I was really lucky, I did bring all my evidence with me but all they did was look at my spousal visa and asked me to tell them my husband's name - that was in August 2006. In fact, I think they've always asked me my husband's name even when he was travelling with me (but went through the UK line with his family).

Juls, families do not have to endure being split up to go through immigration controls.  If your hubz is going through the EU queue with his family, you may join him in that queue. 

The exception is if it's your first transit.  Otherwise fine.  Except for first transits and the most unusual circumstances, the Immigration Service does not intend on forcing families to separate.

Sponsored Links