Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can my child depart for the U.K. before I depart?  (Read 473 times)

• Liked: 0
Can my child depart for the U.K. before I depart?
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:19:40 AM »
Greetings Folks,

Can my child depart for the U.K. before I depart?

Here's a little background.  I'm a U.S. Citizen my husband is a U.K. Citizen, married for 6 years and we have two children that were born here (U.S.).  He's in the U.K. now  prepping for us to come over.  I'm going to send off for the Visas for me and our children and the end of this month.  I would like my 5 year old to arrive in the U.K. the beginning of August to get use to the time zone so she'll be adjusted by the time school starts.  I would like to stay here in the U.S. with my 2 years old until October to clear up some loose ends.  Is this doable?  I've read on the boards about both parents going over together or the spouse and the child going together while the other parent is settled but I wanted to know if there are some exceptions to rules. 

I've searched the boards but could not find a question such as mine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Can my child depart for the U.K. before I depart?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 03:50:32 AM »
No idea about the visas but just wondering if you could get a UK passport for her? If your husband is British and she's his child (sorry not sure if she may be from a previous relatioship) then she should be entitled to one.  My littlest one was born here and I'm UKC so we've just sent off for a UK passport for her. It's cheaper than arranging a visa!

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 05:14:02 PM »
I would also agree that it would be better to just send off for a British passport for your children.  Have a look on www.britainusa.com for details on how to go about it.  My daughter was also born in the US to me, a USC and my husband, UKC.  We applied for a US passport when she was just an infant, and now that we're moving to the UK, I applied for a UK passport for her as well.  The process was simple, and it took about three weeks to get the passport back in the mail. 
If your 5 year old enters the UK on their UK passport, I guess it wouldn't really matter if your child departs before you do.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 02:44:39 AM »
Petally & Crazycrabbe,

Great Idea!

I'm going to the website now.

Thanks for your help.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:47:28 PM »
You should get a UK birth certificate as well.  If anything happens to their passports, you will have additional proof of their British citizenship.

Good luck with the move, we will be moving over with a 3 year old in August (pending visa approval).

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/articles_show_nt1.asp?d=1&i=41016&L1=10080&L2=41016&a=25315

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab