Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Please Advice On What To Do!  (Read 698 times)

• Liked: 0
Please Advice On What To Do!
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:42:00 AM »
Hello everyone! I'm new here and really glad that I found this very informative site. I don't know where I'll start...oh well here's the deal..

I'm a permanent resident living somewhere in NY. I'm 30 yrs old, married and have a 1-yr old child. But since having the baby, for some reason, things haven't been going well between me and my husband. We are trying to work things out - anwyways it's a different story. The reason I said it is because the situation is somehow connected to my questions later on as I write.

I've always, even as a child, been wondering how it would be like to live in UK - and I'm still hoping that one day there will be a chance for me. I've heard and read good things about it and the more I'm willing to give up the life I have here.

My main question is: how can I come and live in UK? I have some ideas, if anyone please tell me what's best to do:

- thinking of taking an associates degree in human services (either early childhood or social work) OR associate's degree in nursing; when I finish and get certified, perhaps apply for a work visa? so that's probably be 2 years from now - urgh, I can't wait anymore! :)

- try and apply to become a resident? i don't know what the UK immig requires but I bet you have to prove that you won't be a burden in their country; see, I don't have any savings yet, for I didnt start working, here in the US anyway, till 2 years ago (had a pampered life where I grew up). And I know my husband will not consider moving - isn't funny that all these crazy ideas are all mine?!? hello husband where are you? LOL

- if indeed I encouraged my husband to live in UK, which is 99.5% I won't be able to, what's the best thing to do as far as our properties are concerned? do we keep or sell them? what's more appealling to UK immig as far as proofs so we can be granted with permanent residency? how much do you have to have in the bank?

- what if things didn't get better between me and husband, will it be a problem if I bring my child with me to live in UK as far as being a single mom?

- i almost forgot! is it better to keep my status rather than apply for US citizenship if i want to live in uk?

Main reasons I want to move: start a new life and career, lifestyle much simplier and not so focused about their jobs that they hardly have time for their family, people are nicer (seems like), and I just really want to live in UK. Period.

These are the questions I could think of right now. I would appreciate any advice and suggestions you could give. Thanks so much! :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 04:50:35 AM by mmably »
"...the sun itself sees not till heaven clears..."
--I Heart Luke Mably--

• Liked: 2
Re: Please Advice On What To Do!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 07:17:33 AM »
Hi there, you would really need to look at the Visas board to see what options there are suitable for your situation.  From what you've said, a work permit or student visa may suit your circumstances unless you have any close family ties to the UK that could qualify you for citzenship by descent or citzenship of another EU country. What country are you a citizen of now? Some countries also have working holiday agreements with the UK that could be an option for you.

Good luck.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »
You need to do a lot more searching around to see what you can be done. There are some youth mobility schemes being launched in September but the details of these haven't be launched yet.  However, it it likely that you wouldn't be eligible for these as a married person unless your husband is coming with you and he also qualifies.

However, these schemes aside, it is not possible to emigrate to the UK without having skills, qualifications and / or money.  It is difficult without a job offer.  And an associates degree doesn't count as a degree in the UK, so having one of these won't qualify you for a work permit.

Also, you will not be permitted to take your child out of the UK without your husband's permission or a court order.

Vicky
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 11:17:41 AM by VictoriaS »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 845
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 11:56:09 AM »
Hi mmably,
  Have you visited here before an extended period of time?  Its a lot different living here than it is visiting.  Of course, I didn't take my own advice because before moving here I spent a grand total of 6 days in the UK (2 of which were for my job interview!), but hey, I jump into things head first and haven't regretted it at all. But I would really recommend that you spend some time here for an extended period of time- a lot of people get here and go, ooops, this isn't like the movies! I would say like rent a self catering flat for like several weeks, or longer if you can afford it, and try to get around and see things, to give it a go.   
   There is a lot of information here: http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresidency/
Best of luck to you!

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 04:48:17 AM »
Hi there Britwife. I appreciate your reply. I'm a citizen of the Philippines and I guess being from the said country, I am considered a visa national. And as far as getting a work permit, I didn't know that an associate's degree doesn't count as a degree over there (per Victoria S' message). It's weird but I felt sad after reading all replies for I feel that there's probably nothing for me over there :(

Hello phatbeetle.
No, I haven't been there. Well your suggestion can be considered, only can you tell me how strict their immigration is when it comes to giving a visitor's visa (is that how you call it?) What do they require do you know? Thanks for the reply and wishes.

"...the sun itself sees not till heaven clears..."
--I Heart Luke Mably--

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 05:01:26 AM »

Hello phatbeetle.
No, I haven't been there. Well your suggestion can be considered, only can you tell me how strict their immigration is when it comes to giving a visitor's visa (is that how you call it?) What do they require do you know? Thanks for the reply and wishes.

Here is the link to the Visitor's Visa Guidance page on the UK Visas site:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf2visitors

If you are applying from within the US, you will need to apply online for the visa. You will also need to book a biometrics appointment (for fingerprints/digital photo to be taken) and supply your passport, a passport photo, the visa fee (paid online, I believe) and documents such as bank statements (to prove you have funds to support yourself during your visit) and proof you will be returning to the US after the trip (letter from employer, proof of house ownership/mortgage, etc.).

Sponsored Links