Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FLR(M) or SET(M), a total predicament; I am a ball of stress. A stressy mess.  (Read 2943 times)

• Liked: 0

It is very likely it depends on different areas. I have lived in Huddersfield (Kirklees) and currently live in Hebden Bridge (Calderdale), and neither GP practice I have been registered with in either place have issued me a card.

I suppose at the very least the letter from them (and my previous landlord) may help prove something, even though they are charging for it...
I've never heard that before. Can they charge for a letter? I suppose it is random and they likely aren't often asked for one. Seems weird to me.

"An NHS medical card is issued when you first register with a GP. It contains your NHS number and other information such as your name, address, date of birth, and details of your registered practice or individual doctor.

When you register with a new GP, you will be asked for your NHS medical card. If you do not have one (for example, in the case of a newborn baby), the receptionist will give you a form to fill in (GMS1). When you have completed and returned the form, your local health authority will transfer your medical records to your new GP. Your medical card will be posted to your home address. Some local health authorities (PCTs) do not issue medical cards, or only do so on request.

Your NHS medical card will include your unique NHS number, which is used as the common identifier for patients across different NHS organisations.
"

From the NHS website...

I have filled out the forms mentioned above when I first registered (the first time with the first GP the first place I lived here, and a second time with my current GP in the current town I live in), but never received anything either time.

• If you take my breath away...
I registered in October and just got my NHS card yesterday.

I was beginning to think it wasn't going to arrive and consider myself lucky that it did.
...the whole damn thing will turn
and return redefined, rearranged, rearranged...

I got an NHS card from Manchester PCT in 2006, but just a letter saying "This letter replaces your NHS card" when I registered in Sheffield PCT in 2008.

Gena, I hope everything works out for you, I know how stressful immigration is. :(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:02:40 PM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

I got an NHS card from Manchester PCT in 2006, but just a letter saying "This letter replaces your NHS card" when I registered in Sheffield PCT in 2008.

Gena, I hope everything works out for you, I know how stressful immigration is. :(

Me too.  :-[  I would really hate to not get through this and then have to end up doing it again.

• Liked: 4
Your evidence does sound much more encouraging.  It isn't the kind of letters they asked for, but does seem to fit the bill of showing you were living there and it's from people who are unlikely to be deceptive.  Good luck, and stop stressing.  If for some reason you didn't get ILR, Vicky's right you should be able to get FLR.  You aren't going to get bounced from the UK for this one.  I suspect adding those two letters and maybe a cover letter explaining them, will totally help you.  I really wouldn't keep stressing.

As for the charge for the letters, lots of surgeries will charge for things like letters and passport applications.  It isn't uncommon.  It also isn't uncommon for them to not understand the rules about people applying after they come in from other countries.  If you search UKY for threads on registering with a GP you'll find that many of them totally broke the rules when people tried to apply.  I don't think it's intentional, but it happens all the time.  There have been several here who were told they needed to be in the country for a year before applying, which is ridiculous!

Your evidence does sound much more encouraging.  It isn't the kind of letters they asked for, but does seem to fit the bill of showing you were living there and it's from people who are unlikely to be deceptive.  Good luck, and stop stressing.  If for some reason you didn't get ILR, Vicky's right you should be able to get FLR.  You aren't going to get bounced from the UK for this one.  I suspect adding those two letters and maybe a cover letter explaining them, will totally help you.  I really wouldn't keep stressing.

As for the charge for the letters, lots of surgeries will charge for things like letters and passport applications.  It isn't uncommon.  It also isn't uncommon for them to not understand the rules about people applying after they come in from other countries.  If you search UKY for threads on registering with a GP you'll find that many of them totally broke the rules when people tried to apply.  I don't think it's intentional, but it happens all the time.  There have been several here who were told they needed to be in the country for a year before applying, which is ridiculous!

Well, I don't know if it was my American 'charm' or what - but my old GP, when we went to collect the letter this morning, had "don't charge" written on the envelope - so the lady didn't charge us! Phew! And the letter states just what it needs to state, so it was a great relief to not be charged and have that confirming my registering in April 2007.

The only trouble I ran into today with gathering all of my things and getting it all ready to get mailed off - I had to dash to my bank as we had yet to receive my bank statements from them in the mail. They had mentioned over the phone that we could also print it out and get our joint account bank statements validated at the nearest branch (which isn't near to us at all, sadly!)
So, I did just that today... went over there for the purpose of collecting my old GP's letter and getting the statements that I printed off at the library validated - and they told me they don't validate them anymore.  :o  I didn't know what to do! I kept insisting that this was very bad, considering they told me that I could do that instead of getting them mailed to us from them (which never showed up, hence me trying the other way for validation of statements), and that I needed to get my application in the mail today. I think she really took note of my state of panic (which I was!) and told the manager for me. The manager was very nice, but shocked they said I could validate in the bank as they "don't do it anymore." She said I was given wrong information. She would have happily, based on my circumstances, validated them except they no longer have the stamps to do it. So the best she could do was sign, print her name and write her title (branch manager) and date each statement, and also stapled her personal business card with all her contact number and her e-mail address.
What added stress! I am hoping that even though it was done without a stamp, that it will be accepted (since it also has all of her contact information, and she is the manager.) She told me to contact her if there is any problems with it. Eegads, I hope not...

Otherwise, got everything (WAY, WAY more letters than asked for. Like... an insane amount) mailed off today, special delivery. Also included a huge envelope that is also got special delivery/prepaid so they can mail everything back (I read somewhere in the guidance notes to do that... so I did.)

Hopefully this all works out okay.
Thank you all again for your help (especially with pointing out to get a letter from my old GP, landlord, etcetera.)
Hopefully that helps...
I shall keep you posted on how it all turns out!  [smiley=anxious.gif]

i hope everything works out for you.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

Best of luck from here, too. 
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

Mailed it January 7th, they received it January 8th... and I got my ILR ON MARCH 19th!!!  ;D ;D ;D

PHEW!!!!!

I hate to bring up an old topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for the suggestions and help. I guess the letter from my old GP confirming when I registered with them and the letter from my old landlord confirming the date I moved in both really helped in terms of my lack of early evidence!  :D

I had been on my way out to walk the dog, and luckily my landlady was in (I live above a restaurant) so she signed for the package, and when I saw my self-addressed return packet, I left the dog at the bottom of the stairs and ran upstairs to tear it open. I looked in and saw that all of my documents had been returned, and I looked at the letter stuck in front (before I pulled everything out) too scared to completely pull it out in case they only extended the visa. I finally pulled it out and it said that they were granting the extension. And I was like, "Oh, great! I have to do that whole ILR process all over again because they've only extended my spouse visa."
So I opened my passport and saw that it said it was for a period that was indefinite and it was indefinite leave to remain. Sweeeeeeeeet relief!

Thank you again for all of your kind help and knowledge to make sure I made the application as good as I possibly could. Seriously!

And also, I guess waiting times are getting shorter... because I wasn't expecting to get it back until mid or end of April!

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
Congrats! I am so glad it worked out for you-- stress is over :)

Congrats!!  ;D
11 Aug 00 - Married (Living in US)
25 Jul 08 - Spousal Visa w/ KOL Stamp Approved
01 Oct 08 - Arrived in the UK
05 Mar 09 - ILR Approved (In Person Appointment ~ Liverpool Office)

Congrats

but wow, 10 weeks.....do they all go to the same place? All the others are still 15 weeks or so.

Congrats

but wow, 10 weeks.....do they all go to the same place? All the others are still 15 weeks or so.

Mine shows it having been issued in Sheffield, even though I mailed it to the address that I assume everyone mail theirs to...

I wonder if it depends on what area you live in? Maybe they forward them to the nearest place, hence mine only taking 10 weeks? I REALLY am super surprised I received it. I had cancelled going to Bruges as originally planned because of the 14-15 week waits and that would have been landing right on the week I would have gone on Holiday.
Now our holiday plans are back on.
AND mine had a big letter and all this silly stuff to try to make up for lack of early evidence... so I thought it wouldn't be a totally straightforward case.

Odd.
But still... so-o-o-o-o relieved to have my passport back and the ILR done!

Sponsored Links