Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: To Apple or not to Apple~Opinions?  (Read 2216 times)

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
To Apple or not to Apple~Opinions?
« on: May 27, 2005, 05:05:23 PM »
One of my last big purchases before I come over will be to replace my desktop with a new notebook computer. I have been a PC user since my first 'puter, but have always flirted with the possibility of switching over to a MAC. Are there any drawbacks to being a MAC user in the UK? Is it easy enough to get things worked on if you have problems?

For the money, I can get a PC notebook with a bigger HD etc, but I am trying to balance reliability and long term options. My salary will be dropping quite a bit and this purchase will need to last me for a few years. I use my computer primarily for communication, internet surfing, Money, word processing and such. I am not a gamer, nor do I have a huge movie or music collection on my HD, (although I do plan on buying an iPod and storing most of my rather large CD collection to bring over as I can). Would it be worth the extra money for a MAC based on my needs? Opinions wanted! :)
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: To Apple or not to Apple~Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 05:30:24 PM »
I've always used Mac both in the US and now in the UK. Depending upon where you live will depend on how easy it is to get the Mac fixed. I live in the southwest and to get an Apple authorized dealer/repairer I have to go to Bristol which is inconvenient for me. This would not be the case in other areas, though. I would definitely buy the extended warranty Apple offers (AppleCare). Even though my computer was registered in the US, I had no problems sending it to the European repair services. Notebooks are less stable than desktops so the warranty is well worth the money.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 06:03:04 PM »
Hi, Courtney ... Lisa and I are Mac users - laptops and desktops too.   Travel with the laptops between Europe and the USA - no problems and because of what I do for work, having a Mac saves me from needing two laptops or a dual boot system. One work of caution - I think the latest Imac desktop comes with a single voltage power supply so if you buy in the USA it might not work on the UK voltage if you ship it, and vice versa.  Backward step IMHO, but then it's the laptops that we all carry around and not the full size system.

Balmerhon talks about getting Macs fixed ... well, touch wood, we've not had many problems; we've got - let me see - 6 or 7 macs here and have only had one failure in this millenium ... and that was very recent.  In fact I spent yesterday chatting with Apple service about the problem then delivering the machine for a hardware fix to the Western Computers in Bristol;  they phoned me back today and confirmed that they're going to replace the main logic board under warranty for me so hopefully we'll have the system back in the reasonable future.

By the way - we have even more PC laptops here than Macs (it's a work thing). Can't comment much on repairs ... we've had a good few disc failures over the years, but we simply order up fresh drives and get Dad to change them as he's better with his hands than we are.
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 01:43:59 PM »
I used to have a PC and I got my ibook G4 for my birthday last year. I love it. No spyware, no viruses, no blue screen of death. Macs just work.

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 03:02:26 PM »
another mac person here. I was converted over a year ago when my pc of 5 yrs died a slow 2 yr death on me. I couldn't take all the cr*p that I put up with it. I bought an ipod and that was it - I was converted. I bought a used imac and loved it!!! Now I just bought my new powerbook G4, sold my imac (retained 90% of its value) and in the end spent less than I would have on a PC of the same caliber. Consider a used one and buy the travel converter from apple (I didn't want to take any chances). My laptop has been fine going btwn the US and UK. The wireless internet needs no configuration, neither did my ipod software or anythign for that matter. I got a copy of microsoft office and just put it on now - works great.

good luck and happy mac shopping :)
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 03:04:37 PM »
Love our Mac at home.

Except that our banking's online service doesn't work with Mac.  >:(  Other than that, no real complaints.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 03:07:49 PM »
I just have to add that I love, love, love my new G5 iMac.  Plus, the entire computer takes up a grand total of 18 inches of my desk.  No banging my feet on the CPU!!!

True, you will find that some websites don't work with Macs, but it is a million times better than it used to be.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 03:12:09 PM »
Yeah, that is one disadvantage. I know off the top of my head that the following sites don't work on my Mac:

Tesco home shopping
Lottery (OK the dh wanted to buy the tickets!)
JobCentre
Brittany Ferries
Royal Mail

BTW, this doesn't mean the WHOLE site doesn't work. Usually it's just part of it.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 03:15:56 PM »
Yeah, that is one disadvantage. I know off the top of my head that the following sites don't work on my Mac:

Tesco home shopping
JobCentre
Brittany Ferries
Royal Mail

BTW, this doesn't mean the WHOLE site doesn't work. Usually it's just part of it.

Out of curiosity, what web browser are you using?  I ask because I usually use Safari, but sometimes I can do what I need to if I use the evil Internet Explorer.  I can't pay my mortgage online with Safari, but I can with IE.  Same with the chatroom on UKY.

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 03:21:23 PM »
I bought a used imac and loved it!!!
good luck and happy mac shopping :)

I was looking at the G4 refurbs on the Apple site. Anyone had any experience with buying a refurb? They offer a warranty....

I love the enthusiam that MAC users have and that is what is really swaying me. I appreciate everyones input!
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 03:26:17 PM »

Tesco home shopping
JobCentre
Brittany Ferries
Royal Mail

Those sites work on both of the macs in our house.

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 03:48:21 PM »
refurbs are perfectly fine. I considered it too when I was buying, but none were available in the speed and space I needed. I trust the apple company and even bought a used computer off a mac user from craigslist.org (check it out if you haven't!). Basically, macs are an investment that will get you a return through use without problems or a high resale value. I think that's the best part is that they retain their value for years. I plan on keeping my current new laptop for at least 3yrs before buying a new one. I got a middle of the line g4 for that purpose.
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 05:39:54 PM »
I've used Macs and PCs and don't see much of an advantage or disadvantage to either, in any country. Whatever you like and feel comfortable with, keep using!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 06:08:19 PM »
We got our first Mac a couple of months ago and I love it.  We went ahead and got the Microsoft Office package for it as well so that we can work at home on things and send them to the PC when needed.  It's been lovely!  And it's one of these mini macs so it is about the size of a small plate.  Love it!

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 09:43:54 PM »
I use my computer primarily for communication, internet surfing, Money, word processing and such. I am not a gamer...

Judging by that statement I wouldn't worry so much about differences in hard drive space between PC's and Macs.  Sure you can get more space for the money with a PC, but unless you're storing tons of data the practical difference is negligible.  For your purposes a Mac will do fine, if not better IMHO - and this is coming from a long-time PC user.

Up until recently I've been using PC's, but a couple months ago I managed to claim an iPod G4 that no one was using at work.  I'm in love with it now!  The thing is just clean - in overall hardware design, interface, etc.  Downloading updates, installing software, listening to music....everything runs so smoothly.  It seems to perform quicker than the PC's I've used and the OSX interface is so much cleaner and less cluttered.

My suggestion is to go to Best Buy or an Apple Store and just spend a half-hour toying around with one of the demos.  I bet you'll be a convert before long.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab