Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: After the visa, immigration at the airport  (Read 1330 times)

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
  • Liked: 0
After the visa, immigration at the airport
« on: June 21, 2005, 05:50:25 PM »
Please share your experience upon entering the UK with your visa. I don't know what to expect and wanted to know what I'll be up against.

Review of my situation: student living w/ brit bf (whom is my sponsor financially). I'm paying school fees, he is paying all other fees for living expenses. I don't have the visa yet, but upon getting that - what kind of questioning should I expect when I get there?

Thanks!
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

Re: After the visa, immigration at the airport
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 06:19:26 PM »
I think once you have the visa you shouldn't have any trouble at all. I mean, when you hold a visa it means the consulate has already reviewed your case and approved the visa. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't pretty much get waived on through.

I tried entering the UK for the first time last December and I was detained for 6 hours and interviewed several times. In the end I was denied entry and sent back home right away. When I tried coming back in February I was detained again (because of the stamp showing I was previously denied entry) and it was a couple hours before I was finally let in for only one month.

Needless to say, I was very worried about the whole visa situation after that. And, terrified of dealing with immigration. But when I came over with my spousal visa there was no problem at all. He asked me when I got married, asked if my husband was traveling with me, asked to see his passport and that was about it. I still took about 10 times longer than everyone else because he was doing a lot of writing on my landing card but it was pretty simple. He even looked at the stamp showing I was denied entry and didn't even ask about it.

So, if you're coming in with a visa I don't think there is anything to stress about.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 06:28:50 PM »
I came in before you had to get student visas but I would suggest having your offer letter and proof of funds (both tuition and a letter from Steve) just to be on the safe side.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 06:44:53 PM »
Let me add:

Do I need a return ticket? I'm not leaving til July 2006. I don't know when just yet - anyone need a return ticket as a student visa?

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 07:47:50 PM »
I came in before you had to get student visas but I would suggest having your offer letter and proof of funds (both tuition and a letter from Steve) just to be on the safe side.

Yeah, I brought my big binder of info that I took to my visa appointment, just in case.

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 08:19:15 PM »
Let me add:

Do I need a return ticket?

Not a bad idea to have one.  Not to mention, return tickets are cheaper than one way (most times, that is).  Anyway, it shows that you have no intention of trying to stay past your visa.
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 08:24:20 PM »
There goes that idea  :P. On usairways and many other sites, you can't book more than a year in advance.

Although, please tell me if I'm wrong - maybe i have to call. Anyone else bought a return ticket for a return just under 12mts?

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 08:42:51 PM »
Check British Airways.  They will let you book well in advance. 
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 08:47:29 PM »
airlines only hold about 10 1/2 months of dates in their bookings systems...like if you were wanting to book for..say the 26 of june 2006 you can't it would be about the middle of july b4 you were able to do it..if that..it depends on how fast who ever loads the flight schedule into the airlines booking system is...the date has had to pass...it won't hold 2 dates in the system.....

I hope I am explaining this so you can understand it....If you have any questions about travel give me a shout..I'm a travel agent.........  ;D

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 08:51:07 PM »
Thanks! You just gave me the answer I needed to give the immigration officers for my reason for not having a return ticket :)

airlines only hold about 10 1/2 months of dates in their bookings systems...like if you were wanting to book for..say the 26 of june 2006 you can't it would be about the middle of july b4 you were able to do it..if that..it depends on how fast who ever loads the flight schedule into the airlines booking system is...the date has had to pass...it won't hold 2 dates in the system.....

I hope I am explaining this so you can understand it....If you have any questions about travel give me a shout..I'm a travel agent.........  ;D

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 09:08:13 PM »
I don't think that will be a good enuf answer some how..depending on the airline you can buy a open return ticket...it's called a open jaw ticket

you will have to pay mucho denero for it..

they put a return date on it closes to the time you want to come back that is in the system and then when you are able to book you can change the date......

oic..just reread abit........ you will have a student visa?
then a one way ticket aught to be sufficient...it you have the right to come and study...some airlines do student tickets...

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 12:38:34 AM »
If you're entering the UK on any kind of visa, you won't need proof of a return ticket.  Return tickets are only sometimes necessary when you are entering the UK as a tourist without a visa. 

If you're entering on a student visa, proof of acceptance and funds may be useful though.

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 02:31:41 AM »
I entered on a BUNAC visa with no return ticket, just proof that I could pay for one with my credit card.  I think they know you can't easily book a ticket a year in advance without paying a lot.  Also, you already have the visa so I wouldn't stress about it.  If you are 25 or under ( or older, it's just not as cheap), look in to STA Travel, they are really good about providing you with flexible tickets so you might be able to get one with a long period of flexibility.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 10:27:24 AM »
The first time I entered on my student visa, I had to show my final acceptance letter from my uni along with my passport.  That was it.  Having a return ticket is NOT necessary.  You have legal right to come and stay with a visa.  Return tickets are a good idea, like Wishstar said, if you don't have a visa and are coming as a visitor.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 10:48:47 AM »
Pittpanther,

My wife (then g/friend) did the very same as you and had no problem at UK Immigration - the officer just looked at the visa and wished her good luck with her studies - so, don't worry!  Like previous posters have said, if you have the visa, it's a breeze.

Chris

Sponsored Links