Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Duty, VAT, etc.  (Read 468 times)

• Liked: 0
Duty, VAT, etc.
« on: March 01, 2005, 08:27:10 PM »
I can't find the answer to this simple question anywhere on HM Customs web site.

If a person is resident in the UK and visits the US, and brings back new jewelry for personal use, not for a wedding and not for resale, let's say $2,000 worth so it's over the exemption limit, then what duty or whatever is paid in the red channel at Heathrow?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
Re: Duty, VAT, etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 11:54:02 AM »
Yes, it's not easy to find this information .... there's a very complex set of duties that apply to all sorts of different products and I would start looking at

http://www.hmce.gov.uk:80/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageHome_ShowContent&id=HMCE_MIG_009862&propertyType=document

I know that I looked at this for bicycles a while back and came up with a full answer and I'll see what I can find.

Whilst it's very tempting to ask "who would know ...", I have to put my moderator's hat on here and point to that to knowingly avoid paying a tax is illegal. To declare that you would take such an action on a publicly visible forum such as this may be asking for trouble, and to suggest that others do so through this forum could get the owner and operator of the forum into some trouble.

-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

Re: Duty, VAT, etc.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 01:03:08 PM »
Thanks, Graham.  If anyone else is unable to open that pdf, the problem is that it downloads with a descriptive phrase instead of a proper file name.  Just download it and change its name to whatever.pdf and it will open.

Unfortunately the Customs site will not cross-reference from those classification codes to actual rates. 

But I have not actually purchased any such jewelry and my question is just for planning purposes, so I might as well just ask at the Heathrow Customs counter while passing through sometime.

JH

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab