Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mexican food again :)  (Read 16059 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Mexican food again :)
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2008, 01:16:59 PM »
I gave my matches to my brother in law and now he has peppers!

« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2008, 02:00:59 PM »
Never quite understood why anyone would expect great Mexican restaurants to be in abundance in the UK as we have no sizeable Mexican community and are obviously nowhere near Mexico. Having said that there are two restaurants in my town that i have heard good things about Liming and Montague Tex Mex, i imagine there are seveal more in Brighton just down the road.

One link that may be of interest (may already have been posted) is

http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/

A friend of mine loves to cook mexican and she reccommends it :)

« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2008, 02:23:25 PM »
Never quite understood why anyone would expect great Mexican restaurants to be in abundance in the UK as we have no sizeable Mexican community and are obviously nowhere near Mexico.

Have thought that myself!  I guess people just really miss it and are frustrated when they can't get a taste of home unless they make it themselves!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2008, 02:36:25 PM »
I don't think it's that people expect loads of them here but why can't the ones here at least try and do it properly? If you don't know anything baout Mexican food why would you open a supposedly Mexican restaurant and then sell things like paninis and pasta dishes like some of them do? It is getting better though!

« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2008, 02:53:19 PM »
I don't think it's that people expect loads of them here but why can't the ones here at least try and do it properly? If you don't know anything baout Mexican food why would you open a supposedly Mexican restaurant and then sell things like paninis and pasta dishes like some of them do? It is getting better though!

I went to one recently which I knew was bad and had chicken teriyaki - also bad!  Chicken teriyaki at a Mexican restaurant.   ;D

The one that used to be in Inverness was pretty funny too.  Full Scottish breakfast was available.   ::)

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2008, 05:37:18 PM »
Has anyone else been to Green and Red in Shoreditch yet (it's at the very top of Brick Lane where it meets Bethnal Green Road)? I work spitting distance from it but hadn't been there until a few weeks ago and I was BLOWN AWAY. I hadn't tasted proper homemade tortillas with that masa harina flavour since my friend made them from scratch in university! I literally had taste flashbacks of those things for days after we ate there and now I'm coveting buying a tortilla press... And I finally got to taste what the hell this jicama thing is that US food blogs have been going on about for ages, too. :) Apart from the stupidly huge tequila menu (which I'm not really into), the food was absolutely fantastic, and I'd definitely say it was one of the very very few Mexican restaurants in London worth bothering with (alongside Mestizo. I've not been able to get into Wahaca yet!).
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Odd Duck
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2008, 05:55:03 PM »
Buy the tortilla press!!! And Maseca masa harina from mexgrocer.co.uk, not the stuff from Cool Chile Co, blech. I don't know why it took moving to the UK for me to discover how amazingly good homemade tortillas are. And they're pretty simple, really. I just made some last night!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2008, 05:58:49 PM »
Buy the tortilla press!!! And Maseca masa harina from mexgrocer.co.uk, not the stuff from Cool Chile Co, blech. I don't know why it took moving to the UK for me to discover how amazingly good homemade tortillas are. And they're pretty simple, really. I just made some last night!

I have the press and the masa but my tortillas always come out so thick. They are good for some things but we keep a pile of corn tortillas from Lupe Pintos in the freezer as well.

« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2008, 07:00:45 AM »
I don't think it's that people expect loads of them here but why can't the ones here at least try and do it properly? If you don't know anything baout Mexican food why would you open a supposedly Mexican restaurant and then sell things like paninis and pasta dishes like some of them do?

EXACTLY!
(genau!)

• Fehr Trade
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2008, 11:01:31 AM »
Buy the tortilla press!!! And Maseca masa harina from mexgrocer.co.uk, not the stuff from Cool Chile Co, blech.
Ahh, that's good to know, because I was looking at both places... But there's also a Mexican grocer near Victoria that I was thinking I'd go to and see if they had the press in store (it's not listed online). And probably buy more stuff than I can carry home. :)
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2008, 11:40:22 AM »
you Londoners are mean to post references to things that may have some hint of authenticity to those of us who live hours away!! :)

El Azteca looks interesting.  The entire website (except the name) is in Spanish.  In reading it, it appears they are aiming their service toward Mexicans who are far from home.  Most of the products are from one brand, but they did sell packs of tortillas, taquitos, chicharones, and tamales.  I'm so craving tamales now!!  It looks interesting.  They said they also cater banquets and such and I think they may have some food service.  It does look worth checking out.  Wish I could.

Cadenza, who's used up the last of her mole bottles and is now seriously craving home made tamales!! (missing the days when she'd stop at a gas station in Texas and buy a huge bag from the Mexican women on pay day for only $5).

« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2008, 04:50:21 PM »
For those of you who have been to Mestizo, would you say it's a bit chic?  As in you might want to dress up just a bit?  It looks to be fairly nice in its pictures and I'm afraid I'd go in underdressed.

• Banned

« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2008, 06:12:06 PM »
It's nice, but not so nice that you couldn't go in jeans. But too nice to go in sweat pants (if you are the kind of person who would wear sweat pants to any restaurant!).

Vicky

« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2008, 07:41:55 PM »
Jeans but with some nice shoes, right?

No, I'm not the sweatpants type! But back in America where I lived, there were really only chain restaurants like Fridays or Chillis.  Of course it was perfectly acceptable to go in jeans, t-shirt and trainers.

I have some dark jeans and a nice shirt, but no nice shoes.  It's a whole 'nother topic, but to me, British casual wear is nicer than your average American casual wear.  I feel like I've come over unprepared!

• Banned

« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2008, 11:05:54 AM »
I have green trainers I live in, which I would certainly wear with jeans to Mestizo.  But I would wear a proper shirt instead of a football shirt.

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab