Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name Change Confusion!  (Read 713 times)

• Schenectady to Newcastle to Toronto
  • Liked: 0
Name Change Confusion!
« on: February 14, 2006, 10:23:28 AM »
Hello! I am about to send off my passport to get my name changed to my married name.  If I change it on my passport, am I supposed to change it on everything else too? I have to change it on my passport right now becuase I'll be applying for ILR in the summer (my current passport expires in 2008).  I wanted to keep my maiden name on most things until after we have our second wedding (the proper one with a big white dress).  Am I breaking any rules if I do this?  Will it create huge problems when I go to get my ILR if some things (bills, proof of address etc) are under my maiden name and my passport is under my married name?

Where is the place you make your 'official' name change? Is it the passport?

Re: Name Change Confusion!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 10:43:23 AM »
I don't think any one thing makes it "official" per se. But it will save you a lot of grief if you do everything at once. But for your US stuff you have to do it in a certain order (at least in California) - you need to change your social security card before your driver's license for some reason that is to do with the computers being linked (at least that's what I was told.)

I still haven't changed my passport (too lazy, too cheap, lol) and it's starting to cause some trouble for proving my identity (for a car loan and for a new bank account particularly) because there are apparently new money laundering laws that say that passports have to match the rest of your identity documents and marriage licenses will only be valid for a year after the wedding to prove that your passport is really you. Did that make sense? I'm not sure I explained it right. I had a hell of a time with a new bank account because my marriage license is over a year old and my passport is still in my maiden name but all of my bills and our lease are in my married name.

Anyway, my advice is to change everything all at once. It's just really a matter of sitting down with the phone for a few hours and then writing a few letters. You can do it in a day and it won't be hanging over your head.

• Life is like a tire swing.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 11:07:09 AM »
I'm getting ready to get my ILR (next month) and I haven't bothered to change my name on my passport. All my stuff in the US are under my old married name and all my stuff in the UK are under my new married name. I'm going to keep it this way because I have a daughter who comes to visit and it is easier to travel with her going under my old married name, et al. I don't really think it matters what name you go under (as far as FLR/ILR) as your marriage license will have both names on it.

I got around the banking issue by having my new name put onto my husband's account. I don't have a driver's license here (in the UK) so obviously I don't have an UK driver's license.

Bet you are now even more confused. Heh. :o
MOMMA ALWAYS SAID:  "There an awful lot you can tell 'bout a person by their shoes" --- "Where they goin' , Where they been"
"I've worn lots of shoes"   Forrest Gump

"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floatin' around accidental-like on a breeze. But I, I think maybe it's both."     Forrest Gump

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 12:05:27 PM »
That's scary about the marriage license! I have been married for over a year. Although I already have a mortgage and bank account- both in my maiden name. 

Maybe I'll check what New York State wants you to do in order to change your name. This stuff is so confusing!

I'm also flying home this year 3 times. I have booked the tickets for 2 of my trips already. My trip in October is under my maiden name (we got a really good deal and it was before I figured out that I would have to change my passport so I booked under my maiden name).  I called american airlines and the woman I spoke to said just bring my marriage certificate and both passports. She said it won't be a problem but I have heard differing opinions on this. 

I booked my next set of tickets in my married name, assuming that I'll have my passport changed by then (june).  Who knows!!! Thanks for your replies. And yes, I am even more confused now!!!  ???

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »
Just to make things MORE confusing, I lived in New York state for years (my parents address in NY is what  I usually put down as my permanent US address- like for my US bank accounts and credit cards).

BUT, I was living in Boston, MA the year before I moved. So my license is from MA.  Do I have to change my name on my license if I'm living over here? Will I have to apply for a new one completely if I don't just keep renewing it when it is going to expire?

• Liked: 18
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 03:42:34 PM »
OK now I will add to the confusion....I got my passport in Oct...so it will be less than one year old when I 1) get my divorce and want my maiden name back and 2) get remarried and am taking his name....

So what do I do about that? If I get the passport amended once with my maiden name in it will they charge me to get it done with my new married name? Having the visa/passport in the previously married name is it better to just go by maiden name w/o chaning passport until I am married and take his name? I will have one trip to the US before we are married. Could I go by maiden name for all but the flight to the US where name has to match passport? Or would they accept divorce decree as proof?

I am lost :( Other scenario, I get my maiden name back get the passport amended and pay the ridiculous amount to transfer the visa.

What do you all think?

Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 01:14:57 PM »
OK now I will add to the confusion....I got my passport in Oct...so it will be less than one year old when I 1) get my divorce and want my maiden name back and 2) get remarried and am taking his name....

So what do I do about that? If I get the passport amended once with my maiden name in it will they charge me to get it done with my new married name? Having the visa/passport in the previously married name is it better to just go by maiden name w/o chaning passport until I am married and take his name? I will have one trip to the US before we are married. Could I go by maiden name for all but the flight to the US where name has to match passport? Or would they accept divorce decree as proof?

I am lost :( Other scenario, I get my maiden name back get the passport amended and pay the ridiculous amount to transfer the visa.

What do you all think?

Ooh this is a bit complicated.  I think you should:
Don't go back to your maiden name unless it will be a long while before you take your DF's name (wasn't sure when you are planning to be married?).  Doing 2 changes (current to maiden to DF name) will be harder than doing one (current to DF name).  You are (perhaps obviously) not required to go back to maiden name after your divorce, and as you are changing it again anyway, is there a good reason to do it?  Is it just your choice?  That is fine if so, I was just wondering. 

The airlines should accept divorce decree as proof if you do decide to go back to maiden, but it seems like double the work.

I was all worried abt my tickets that have been booked in maiden name but I have since changed to married name on passport.  No problems at all at airports here or in the US - just told them at the desk and that was it.  They are used to it, I think.

And I think I am in the majority when I say don't pay the money and transfer the visa - you can carry both passports with you and they are used to that as well (the visa being in a passport other than the valid one).

Anyone else agree/disagree?

• Liked: 18
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 10:07:33 PM »
Ooh this is a bit complicated.  I think you should:
Don't go back to your maiden name unless it will be a long while before you take your DF's name (wasn't sure when you are planning to be married?).  Doing 2 changes (current to maiden to DF name) will be harder than doing one (current to DF name).  You are (perhaps obviously) not required to go back to maiden name after your divorce, and as you are changing it again anyway, is there a good reason to do it?  Is it just your choice?  That is fine if so, I was just wondering. 

The airlines should accept divorce decree as proof if you do decide to go back to maiden, but it seems like double the work.

I was all worried abt my tickets that have been booked in maiden name but I have since changed to married name on passport.  No problems at all at airports here or in the US - just told them at the desk and that was it.  They are used to it, I think.

And I think I am in the majority when I say don't pay the money and transfer the visa - you can carry both passports with you and they are used to that as well (the visa being in a passport other than the valid one).

Anyone else agree/disagree?

It is complicated, I agree....my main reason is preference..call me crazy....my marriage was a nightmare....I just dont want to get married to D with my exes name....maybe I am being a bit childish, but it just doesnt feel right :( Yes I have my son, and I am not as my ex said 'wishing he was never born' by wanting my maiden name back...because my son is wonderful and I would never change his being here for anything. However I just feel like I should be using my maiden name when I get married to my fiance.

Hence why I asked what I should do ;)

Katrina
Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab