Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Greece, Turkey, Croatia (was Olympia, Greece)  (Read 761 times)

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
  • Liked: 0
Greece, Turkey, Croatia (was Olympia, Greece)
« on: October 12, 2004, 04:15:43 PM »
Please add Olympia to the list of places that I want to come back and see when I've got more time and I'm not part of a tour group!

Our ship berthed this morning at Katakolon in Greece, a port developed in the 18th century for local produce and now the tour ship port for visitors to ancient Olympia.  No conference sessions while we're in port, so we boarded but number 16 (one of 4 possible tours, with a commentary in our choice of 5 different languages) to see the ancient Olympia where the Olympic games  were held, we were told, from early times through to the 4th Century AD.  The Olymic flame for the modern games is also lit there - outside the temple of Juno with rays of the sun focussed to produce fire; the weather is rarely a problem as it's sunny over 300 days per year.

The competitor's village, the Gymnasium, the places where guests stayed and the arena were all raised to the ground more than a millenium ago and the area became overgrown, but most has been re-excavated and there's fallen stones and tourists to see in all directions.  Across from th 7c BC temple to Juno is the 5c BC temple to Zeus, and further on the actual competitive area is now very much just a shape, with virtually everything raised to the ground. Only men were allowed to watch the competitions, with the exception of the high priestess who represented Juno (and she had to crown the champion athelete, rrepresenting Zeus).   I took a picture of a modern re-enactment of this scene.

Did anyone ever tell you that cruising is a relaxing activity?  WRONG!!! I finished a conference session about half an hour ago, I'm skipping the next, so I have about 90 minutes to catch up with 'most everything else. Then later this evening there's a formal dinner (penguin costume required).   Leads to the question "are we mad to be doing this", but I think I would rather now know the answer to that.

Tomorrow ... another port, more talks, and a lot more food.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 06:53:42 AM by GrahamE »
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

Re: Greece, Turkey, Crotia, Italy ...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 06:52:43 AM »
Wednesday
=========

Izmir, Turkey - the boat docked at 08:00 in this port, the third largest city in the country.  Buses took us from the port, through suburban areas of 10 to 12 story blocks of flats and round the back of some poorer areas that looked like "build your own" schemes still partly in the build stage, and we hit the motorway for the 75 kilometres to Ephesus.  Figs, olives,  corn and cotten growing in the fields, cotton being harvested by wizzened old folks (or so they appeared).  Cattle and sheep, but the cows looked smaller and more sturdy that we're used to in the UK.  And so, to Ephesus.

Bus drops us off roadside, amongst a cluster of stalls. Guide hands me our bus number to hold up for the group, and disappears off (to get the tickets). It's still early in the day, but comfortable weather for the T shirt I'm wearing.  There's other buses and groups too; a seething mass of people, in fact "Water, 1 Euro ....". And other things for sale too. But well mannered, perhaps because the policeman's directing traffic.  And so into ancient Ephesus with our guide, and we start to hear the history.

Like our guide at Olympia yesterday, our guide is very proud of her country and heritage to the extent of over-informing us, and tells us the story of early times, of the coming of Greeks and Romans and the building of the town into a regional capital - a city state, and of the fall of that city state due to the failure of the empires, and the case of Ephesus the earthquakes  as it's situated right on the fault lines.

As we started around Ephesus, it looked just like another ruin.  More temples, more stories of the Gods - broken statues and temples to Zeus.  Drop in a few Eroses and Aphrodites, Hadrians and Attaturks and you have much of the story.

But then, over the brow of a hill and we see a great road leading down to the Library, frontage reconstructed with 80% original material, and through another road to a magnificent Theatre and we realise, yes, Ephesus is something special. Cynicism melts away, and we feel for the guide as she describes how all the artefacts are to be found not here at the site, but at museums in  London or Vienna, Istanbul or Izmir.

Thursday
========

Istanbul. TRAFFIC. We drive out the dockyard gates and we're in a jam. Our tour took us to the Mosque of the emperor Suliman and the Topiaka palace and we could probably have walked it quicker than the bus.  But, yes, the  commentary and the re-assurance that the boat would wait for their own  coaches, held up in the traffic, was worth it.  We had heard so much about  the mad bus drivers here but I've nothing but admiration for ours as he drives up single lane roads which are two-way, dodging cars and passing under the arches of the ancient aquaduct with, literally, inches to spare.

Saturday
========

I could turn this into a very boring travellogue.  So much to see, yet so  little time - and conference sessions which leave me wanting many extra hours in the day to write more on both travels and technicals. 

We're, briefly, in Dubrovnik today. And I have 3.5 hours of lectures, and a "meet the megageek" cocktail party. Tomorrow, Venice and the flight  home.  I think I'll need a holiday to recover from this. I'm coming back a little poorer in pocket, and much richer in experience.
-- Graham

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
Re: Greece, Turkey, Croatia (was Olympia, Greece)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 02:58:40 PM »
Another beautiful journal; thanks for sharing.
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 03:09:41 PM »
This is fantastic! Thanks Graham!

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 02:35:19 PM »
Thanks for those comments .... Lisa and I will be back to a more "normal" life in a couple of hours ... just checking in now from a radio hot-spot at Venice's Marco Polo airport, waiting for our sleazyjet flight.
-- Graham

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 12:00:19 PM »
Rounding off, a week later ... we flew home on Sunday evening and I was presenting a training course first thing on Monday morning ... so I've only just "got to" the pictures.

I took 408 ... I've put 26 on line ... and here are links to 5, to represent 5 ports of call.

http://www.wellho.net/picture/geek2.html which is Venice, Italy
http://www.wellho.net/picture/geek9.html now at ancient Olympia in Greece
http://www.wellho.net/picture/geek14.html Ephesus, near Izmir in asiatic Turkey
http://www.wellho.net/picture/geek20.html Istanbul (European side), Turkey
http://www.wellho.net/picture/geek23.html Dubrovnik, Croatia

These are all very high resolution images - "best viewed on a broadband connection".  If you're a glutton for punishment, the whole 26 pictures are all there under similar URLs, numbered 1 to 26.
-- Graham

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 03:43:47 PM »
What fun!!! Thanks for sharing Graham!!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab