Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Old question about taking food into the US  (Read 766 times)

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
Old question about taking food into the US
« on: October 21, 2004, 02:12:31 PM »
I know we have covered this hundreds of times, but I want to make sure,,lol.

I am leaving for the states in a week, and I want to take a christmas pudding over to have for Thanksgiving while I am there. Will I get busted for  bringing in contraband Christmas pudding?

• Liked: 8
Re: Old question about taking food into the US
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 02:56:25 PM »
As far as I know, bringing in prepackaged goods is fine.  A Christmas pudding from M&S or ASDA is okay, but one you whipped up in your UK kitchen isn't.  (Or at least that's the rule of thumb I've always followed when going between the US and UK.)

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 03:13:42 PM »
Ah, alrighty then.  Then I suppose that the same applies with taking food into the UK from the US...right?  So, if I have an unopened package of Twinkies and Oatmeal Creme Pies (which I would be bringing back for the DH), that would be okey dokey?
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 04:05:31 PM »
Oh Autumn, you said 'Twinkie',, now I have a craving,,LOL

kewl, Thanks Lola, I knew someone would know ;) 

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 02:23:41 PM »
I know when I came back a few years ago I could not bring in Pepperomi's. Brother was upset!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 02:41:40 PM »
Now there are restrictions against bringing in meat (if Pepperamis can be classified as such!   ;)), prepackaged or not.  I don't know about the amounts or if there's an all-out ban on meat products.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 04:11:27 PM »
I dont think there would be a problem bringing an Xmas pudding to the USA. I wasnt even aware there were restrictions on bringing over homemade foods as long as they didnt contain meat.

Just wanted to throw this in..
When we got married a few years ago here in England, My sister was my bridesmaid and I gave here a bouquet of flowers which she kept in a vase of water in her hotel so she could bring them back to the USA and press them in a book. Well when she got to the airport in Birmingham not only was she denied the flowers but they smashed them in to zillions of pieces. What the hell was that for? She was "crushed" to say the least.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 04:16:41 PM »
I wanted to bring back a tree cutting from the ever famous tree the Robin Hood was to live in. But as I have an American accent the clerk told me that I would not be allowed to take it back to the states. The reason is bugs and other things that "could" be living on the plant. I wanted my own little part of England but couldn't bring it back. I now have my DH so I am ok, but at the time I was upset!

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 04:26:30 PM »
I wanted my own little part of England but couldn't bring it back. I now have my DH so I am ok, but at the time I was upset!

That's sweet, Ladybug  ;)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 05:02:11 PM »
Meat and plants and their products are monitored by nations to make sure that pests do not get in and destroy an entire ecosystem.

Check out this post for tips on sending food to the USA.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=4031.0

I'll be back with the one for airlines in a second.

Here it is the list off all things USDA

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/index.html

Happy travels!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 05:06:00 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 10:36:08 PM »
a long time ago when I was here on a visit I bought some xmas puddings from harrods to take home but when i got to memphis that was the one thing the officer asked if i had and he took them.  i suspect he just wanted them.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 10:52:59 PM »
a long time ago when I was here on a visit I bought some xmas puddings from harrods to take home but when i got to memphis that was the one thing the officer asked if i had and he took them. i suspect he just wanted them.

LOL.  Do you have any Christmas puddings, madam?

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 03:22:39 PM »
Can you guys hear me laughing in England?????

Especially since:

1)  How many yanks have actually tried Christmas pudding and

2)  If they did, did  they actually like it?

Let's face it, it falls into the fruit cake family (steaming does not improve it) and we all know what most  Americans think of fruit cake...

(I have not set out to intentionally upset those who love fruitcake, but I hate the stuff   ;) )
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

Sponsored Links