Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Short trip to Scotland...Any Suggestions?  (Read 1084 times)

• Liked: 1
Short trip to Scotland...Any Suggestions?
« on: October 25, 2004, 09:03:03 PM »
Hi.  Next weekend DH and i are going to Scotland for three days.  we got dirt cheap tickets to Glasgow and would like to spend one night there and one night in the country.  any suggestions for good overnight trips from glasgow?  We have thought about Fort William, but there rae soem problems with trains, or the Isle of Arran.  I would appreciate some thoughts of those who've been!

"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
Re: Short trip to Scotland...Any Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 12:10:11 AM »
Oban is a very nice trip from Glasgow.  As is Stirling. 

The first is right on the sea, and you can get some excellent seafood there.  You can walk up the hill to the big thing (I am forgetting the name at the moment).  There are some nice shops and the air smells like a typical fishing villiage...very nice. 

The second is a great day trip.  You can easily see the castle, then walk to the Wallace Monument (over the historic Stirling bridge).  The cemetary at the base of the castle is great to check out, if you are into that kind thing. 

There are some really great places to stay and eat in both places.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 07:29:32 PM »
Thanks...we shall have a look!
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 07:34:16 PM »
Go to Culross !

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 09:30:11 PM »
Go to Culross !

Ah ... so short and to the point.  Actually a bit too short; I pride myself in having travelled a bit and knowing a few places ... but even I'm saying "what and "where".  Pretty please, Cascode, can we have a few more words on Culross??
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 10:05:07 PM »
Graham
A quick google would get you there.

This is where we lived,

• Banned

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 10:07:40 PM »
We have thought about Fort William, but there rae soem problems with trains, or the Isle of Arran. 
You can walk to Fort William from Glasgow (West Highland Way)....but it might take you more than 3 days!  ;)

Fort William in nice - but avoid the fish and chip shop in the town centre at all costs!  yick!
~~ bootlegged, disapproved, excluded, forbidden, hot, illegal, illicit, interdicted, prohibited, proscribed, shut out, smuggled, taboo, unauthorized, unlawful, verboten ~~

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 10:24:20 PM »
Hey thanks for all the very helpful and one of a kind advice. DH has basically decided we are going to Arran because it is "scotland in minature".  He is worried because I have a tendancy to move to places we go on holiday and wants to limit the area we see to a commutable distance from a major city!  There was a job in Orkney that looked interesting...

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 04:33:26 AM »
Fort William in nice - but avoid the fish and chip shop in the town centre at all costs!  yick!

Welcome to UK-Y, Jacky.  Do you have a holiday experience of that chippy, or do you live in "The Fort"?

If you want a real flavour of Scotland (and don't mind it being very "tourist"), eat at McTavish's kitchen. A "proper" Scots meal, and Scots entertainment that might be a little fake but sure sets the atmosphere (even the web page plays bagpipes!).   They have a branch in Oban too.
-- Graham

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 11:31:12 AM »

Welcome to UK-Y, Jacky.  Do you have a holiday experience of that chippy, or do you live in "The Fort"?

Graham it was a end of a holiday experience.  My husband and I hiked the West Highland Way last summer.  Hiking food is sometimes really boring.  WELL we decided that when we got to Fort William we would treat ourselves to Fish & Chips as a reward for hiking 96 miles.

Well it was AWFUL!  A great disappointment....but I will say the Bed & Breakfast we stayed in was the BEST one I have stayed in to date.  (Of course that might be due to the fact that I had been sleeping in a TENT for 10 days!!  ;) )
~~ bootlegged, disapproved, excluded, forbidden, hot, illegal, illicit, interdicted, prohibited, proscribed, shut out, smuggled, taboo, unauthorized, unlawful, verboten ~~

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 05:57:06 AM »
My husband and I hiked the West Highland Way last summer.

Goodness - and wasn't I reading about a major hike in the New Year too? Would love to read your experiences here if there happens to be the odd internet cafe on the trail.

KatGold - I think you're back by now.  How was your trip?   Did you make Arran in the end?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 05:58:53 AM by GrahamE »
-- Graham

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 03:54:58 PM »
I did make Arran and it was fantastic!  Completely rustic and lovely! Though I ached for days after being forced to walk up a mountain... oh well, the views all the way to Northern Ireland eased the pain a bit.

• Banned

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 08:16:04 PM »
Goodness - and wasn't I reading about a major hike in the New Year too? Would love to read your experiences here if there happens to be the odd internet cafe on the trail.
I am trying to sort out some sort of online journal...there are plenty of peeps that do it at this place called Trail Journals.  The only thing is I have to send emails for a buddy to upload. Haven't sorted that out yet.  Believe me, I will be in search of an internet cafe at every opportunity!

Sorry for the thread hijack...

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 10:00:30 PM »
Sorry for the thread hijack...

Hey - doesn't bother me.  I could always "split it out" I suppose ... but perhaps better to leave here and start a new thread when you have a "trail journal" scheme in place.
-- Graham

• Banned

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 10:06:15 PM »

Hey - doesn't bother me.  I could always "split it out" I suppose ... but perhaps better to leave here and start a new thread when you have a "trail journal" scheme in place.
Well I won't clog Leah's site with my trail journal...there is a proper trail journal website: http://www.trailjournals.com/    I am trying to set something up with them....

Sponsored Links