Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 188153 times)

Re: What ya reading
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2004, 09:02:29 PM »
I just recently finished The Search by Geoff Dyer - easily my fav. contemporary author.... Great book.

I'm a huge Geoff Dyer fan.  I read The Colour of Memory when I first moved here and it made London seem so cool.  :)  I'll have to dig it out.  See how's it's changed for me over time. 

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2004, 09:05:05 PM »
At the moment I'm reading Simon Armitage  All Points North.  He's my favourite poet, and it's a really interesting autibiographical book about living as a poet in the North. 

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 04:39:16 PM »
LOVE it.  I would recommend it to any kid over say, 11...   it's definitely 'mature' reading; I'd describe it sort of as a HP meets LOTR type story.  It's fantastical, adventurous, involving another universe, an enormous journey, interesting characters, etc.

Alrighty then ta hon ;D I will be putting it on the santa list for her.

I'm presently reading a Dean Koontz novel: Odd Thomas.  Dean Koontz is one of my favourite authors.  I love his blend of horror/suspence/spirituality/humour.  Good stuff. 

Oh me too,I think he is a great writer.Koontz and  King are two of my fave horror writers.I do think like King that Koontz has changed his writing a bit,but its okies  :)

*The Face is a good book too*

At the moment I'm reading Simon Armitage  All Points North.  He's my favourite poet, and it's a really interesting autibiographical book about living as a poet in the North. 

I was looking at Armitage's site.I dont read alot of poetry,but he sounds like a very interesting writer .

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 11:36:16 PM »
I'm reading the last book in a series of 12--the series is the "Left Behind" books--EXCELLENT read.  I also just re-read the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy books...how fun!!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2004, 10:24:26 AM »
I'm currently finishing "tuesdays with morrie" by Mitch Abroms.

It's really good.

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2004, 05:58:15 PM »
Finally reading "A Life Unequalled", the Samuel Pepys diaries. Really interesting with  incredibly in-depth "man-on-the-scene" history observances.

For some reason I'm becoming quite interested in Russian history so might try something along those lines next. Anyone have any suggestions?
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2004, 06:18:05 PM »
Finally reading "A Life Unequalled", the Samuel Pepys diaries.

Is that the unabridged Pepys's diaries?  I've never heard of them having a title before-but I've been looking for a good full Pepys for some time now, so if it is let me know!

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2004, 06:29:47 PM »
"Lords of the Horizons, A History of the Ottoman Empire". Also dipping into the "White House Inc. Employee Handbook", which is the funniest and sadly most cogent book I've read in ages. Also "Parasite Rex", truly disgusting and yet 'a masterful account of creatures that you'd like to ignore but who are simply too creepy to forget'.
http://www.bokeh.net/home.html

'German chocolate cake frosting was my Waterloo,' sighed the pudgy little corporal while licking cocoa from his mustachios.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2004, 01:10:23 PM »
I'm currently reading some crap called 'Girls Night In'. It's a compilation of short stories. I saw it in the train station and I was in a hurry so I didn't bother to look into it. It's got some writers I like, like Marian Keyes but most of it is shite.

Oh well, at least the proceeds go to a charity.

I've got a Thomas Hardy book on my shelf which I'll be diving into soon.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2004, 01:19:22 AM »
I would also highly recommend Senator Robert Byrd's book 'Losing America'.
http://www.bokeh.net/home.html

'German chocolate cake frosting was my Waterloo,' sighed the pudgy little corporal while licking cocoa from his mustachios.

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2004, 08:58:15 PM »
I've just started Salinger's Franny and Zooey.

As for the aforementioned Pepys, someone is posting his diaries up as a blog here: http://www.pepysdiary.com/
I am following my fishie la la laa because my fishie knows where to go!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2004, 01:37:13 PM »
For some reason I'm becoming quite interested in Russian history so might try something along those lines next. Anyone have any suggestions?

I can only recommend a fiction book - We The Living by Ayn Rand.  I've lost count of how many times I've read it.  Loved it.

But I won't be offended if you aren't interested in it!  ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2004, 02:23:52 PM »
I'm half way through Oh, Play That Thing by Roddy Doyle.  It's the second installment of the Last Roundup trilogy.

From Amazon:

Oh, Play That Thing is a fast-moving sequel to Roddy Doyle's novel about the Irish War of Independence and Civil War, A Star Called Henry. On the run from his former commanders, IRA assassin Henry ends up in the USA and copes indifferently with the gang-dominated New York of the early 1920s, and the worlds of Chicago jazz and the migrant workers of the Depression. Henry is a charming chancer, and a survivor, but this does not mean that he has an especially nice time for more than moments--his own ruthless past continually returns to haunt him.

The book definitely gets two thumbsup [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] -- even if the smilie looks like it's flipping the bird.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2004, 03:13:27 PM »
The book definitely gets two thumbsup  -- even if the smilie looks like it's flipping the bird.

LOL ;D

Sounds good Cait.I remember you talking about his books before.

Iam reading Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay now,and I like it so far.

From Amazon:

Kay ( The Fionavar Tapestry ) brings to life a layered, pragmatic world of magic and difficult choices, where brutality and beauty coexist. Eight of the nine provinces of the Peninsula of the Palm, on a world with two moons, have fallen to the warrior sorcerers Brandin of Ygrath and Alberico of Barbadior. Brandin's younger son is slain in a battle with the principality of Tigana, which the grief-stricken sorcerer then destroys. Years later, a small band of survivors, led by Alessan, last prince of Tigana's royal house, wages psychological warfare, planting seeds for the overthrow of the two tyrants. At the center of these activities are Devin, a gifted young singer; Catriana, a young woman pursued by suspicions of her family's guilt; and Duke Sandre d'Astibar, a wily resistance leader thought dead. Meanwhile, at Brandin's court, Dianora, his favorite concubine and--unknown to anyone, another survivor of Tigana--struggles between her growing love for the often gentle tyrant and her desire for vengeance. Gradually the scene is set for both conquerors to destroy each other and free a land. Tolkien protege Kay's brilliant and complex portrayal of good and evil, high and low, will draw readers to this consuming epic.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2004, 03:44:29 PM »
Doyle is a really good writer.  His dialogue is often fast-paced and colloquial.  I really enjoyed Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha which won the Booker Prize.  To tell the truth --- I've enjoyed all his books!
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab