Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Living in the UK  (Read 9832 times)

• Liked: 679
Re: Living in the UK
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »

Thank you so much for the time you took to write out all of that information. That was extremely helpful and informative. Can I ask why you chose to move/retire to Scotland? Even though the cost of housing is more expensive do you find it evens out with all the other items being less? Is the quality of life better/worth the sacrifice of the money being less?

Hi. No problem at all  - someone did the same for me when I was thinking of the move.

I have just about the same disposable income now that I did when I was working, since I no longer am paying social security tax, medicare tax, commuting expenses, having to keep up a car (and pay for all that gas!), contributing towards my pensions, state tax, parking fees at work, health-insurance premiums, etc. I do think the quality of life here is well above what we had in SoCalif. No smog, for starters! Quieter, a bit slower, much more "genuine" and friendly. The people here in Glasgow have been exceptionally welcoming. My daughter was pretty much adopted by several locals while she was over here, and I have to agree that this place feels more like "home" than anywhere else we've lived. (And we moved around the USA a lot.)  An added plus, I don't run into/have to listen to people talking about their Brazilian Butt Lifts or their latest botox (like ohmygawd), while standing in the line at Starbucks here.  ;) ;)

SoCal was terribly expensive and there was/is a tremendous housing shortage there. I couldn't have afforded to have retired there, so I was looking for somewhere else. I had thought I'd be off to New England, actually, but my daughter did part of her undergrad here, and wanted to come back for an advanced degree (or two). So it made sense to kill two birds with one stone, as it were. I have dual Irish citizenship, so I'm legal to be here regardless of Brexit, and was able to bring her in as a direct family dependent of an EEA citizen so that she won't have to leave immediately after graduation. (Which she would have, had she come over on a student visa.) Brexit has left us a little wobbly, as her position here is not certain. We ~think~ she'll be allowed to stay. (They have been promising that EU dependents now here can remain. But if they toss her out, I'll be going as well - but we are doing everything we can to make sure it's not back to the USA. Dear God, I leave for one year and the place goes to hell.  :-\\\\  My father fought in a war over ... let's just not go there. It makes me feel ill. Let's just leave it as I cannot be a part of that, not on a daily basis. And I'm not equipped to ignore it when it'd be that close-to-hand.)

Cost-of-living. I don't find it more expensive, certainly not more than California! In actual dollars, I'm spending on housing about what I spent on housing in SoCal, where I was living in housing subsidized by my employer. I couldn't have made it there on the open market on what I was earning, but our home is much larger and of much better quality here. I have a washer/dryer, and a dishwasher (that I've used all of once in a year, because it takes hours to run!). There's only the two of us here, so I hang things to dry, usually, or run the harder-to-dry things - jeans, bath towels, etc. - a bit in the dryer before letting them dry on a rack the rest of the way. Damp blue jeans and towels like sandpaper are not on the list of my most favorite things. ;D

I could definitely have gotten a smaller place - a two bedroom, a little farther away from the Uni, for much less. Or a house (of one variety or the other) for about 1/3 less if we wanted to be on the bus for about 20 minutes. As it is, I am very near a bus route that will take me into city center (which is a big pedestrianized shopping area now),  it's only 1/2 mile to the nearest high street if I want to walk to get groceries, need a drug store, or browse bookstores. It's near enough the University that the Daughter can easily walk it (regardless of the time of day or night) and use a cab in winter if the weather is really foul. And it's a lovely, quiet, green leafy neighborhood. Almost no crime here (in this part of town) other than the occasional theft. (There are parts of town with higher crime and more density where I would not want to live - although I could have gotten a place for half what I pay now, there. There are also other parts of town with sectarian marches - Prods v. Catholics - but we are well clear of all that.)

Plus, we were brand new in the country (we were here three days before we viewed this place) and the landlord still rented to us, and allowed me to put the deposit and first month on a credit card because I didn't have a local bank account yet.

On the NHS - NHS Scotland is independent of the English NHS. Dental care appears to be cheaper here, for starters. I pay nothing for two exams a year, about 11 pounds if I need a cleaning, and Xrays are five pounds each. (Seriously, five pounds - about  $6.75.)  The rules as to using NHS are different here, as well. In Scotland, anyone who is "ordinarily resident" - that is, they make their home here, is entitled to use the NHS. I've been to the doctor once, to get a prescription for Naproxin (which you can't get OTC here) and it cost me nothing. I took the prescription to my nearby pharmacist, and it cost me nothing - they would not take my money.

My budget is roughly £2,100 a month (before income taxes). We are not scrimping - we eat well, but live simply. We get a pizza sent in once a week, see an occasional movie (using the points I get from ordering from Tesco for groceries gives me free movie vouchers), and are quite comfortable. I am anticipating that my income taxes will be about £250 a month (more when my social security kicks in).

Taxes - Social security will be taxable only in the UK, at UK rates, whereas only part of it would have been taxable in the USA. My pension is technically a government pension, which should not be taxable in the UK per the Tax Treaty, but only in the USA at USA rates.  If the UK tax people don't allow that classification, I'll pay the UK tax on it and my SS, and it should wipe out any tax I might owe in the USA as foreign credits. Since I'm not working, the foreign income exclusion, that you'll read about here on this board often, does not apply to my taxes. The income tax structure is slightly different in Scotland, as it has devolved powers to tax. There's still the first  £11,850 personal exemption, then a small band at 19%, a larger band at 20%, then 21%, then 41% and 46%.

[EDIT] Let me clarify that. I don't find it more expensive than SoCal, but my priorities are such that I don't spend a lot on clothes, etc., because I no longer have to do so. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:27:25 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 29
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 04:28:53 PM »
Hi. No problem at all  - someone did the same for me when I was thinking of the move.

I But if they toss her out, I'll be going as well - but we are doing everything we can to make sure it's not back to the USA. Dear God, I leave for one year and the place goes to hell.  :-\\\\  My father fought in a war over not putting people in cages and having blind book-burning.... let's just not go there. It makes me feel ill. Let's just leave it as I cannot be a part of that, not on a daily basis. And I'm not equipped to ignore it when it'd be that close-to-hand.)

SOOOOOOO this (the country going to the crapper) is one of my big reasons for finally pushing to make the move. I've had reasons for years that I've wanted to move, but I feel as if I am being pushed over the edge. Living in Houston all of the current issues are in my face all the time. My grandmother sent me a very ugly text saying effectively "if you dislike America so much and are so unhappy why don't you just move and renounce your American citizenship!'  :o I was like wowza how can you even say that to me considering what's happening right now, where's your humanity!?!? And then I was like hmmmmm can we move to a different country?!

Anyways, my husband is a UKC and my 4 young children are as well. I've learned it would be VERY easy for us to move to the UK, we would just need to secure a decent job for my husband which I am unsure of how difficult and challenging that would be and I should be able to fairly easily get a spouse visa?!  :-\\\\ 

Where we live in Houston, I would welcome the change of scenery (or scenery in GENERAL), a much better temperature (though I know it rains a lot, rain doesn't bother me!) I can't stand 100 plus degree temperatures for 5-6 months a year any longer. We are paying a ton of money for private school as the public system here is terrible....anyways, my main concern is not being able to afford living there (hence the original post), but I think it would be doable especially cashing in on our two houses (primary and rental) here and being able to put a very large amount down on a place in the UK thus making our monthly costs less and hopefully buying in an area that has an outstanding ranked school.

We have family in the north of the country (leeds, york, nottingham), but not sure where we'd end up as we would put my husband finding a job as top priority. Sorry, I know this is a lot and I know the grass isn't 100% greener and I know there will be things that frustrate me, but I can't image being as discontent there in the UK as I am here in the states. And, worse case scenario?! We decide to come back....

• Liked: 533
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 04:50:41 PM »
Florida was so hot. I despised it. Houston though, another level up.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 04:55:21 PM »
Yes, you have options. :)   If you can manage it, I'd certainly advise living here for a while. If, after a couple of years, it doesn't suit, there are other places to go. Giving your kids a chance to experience another way of thinking/life that is close enough (language, entertainment, etc.) to what they know would kind of ease them into "the world is a much bigger place than Texas is".  ;) ;D

Sorry you got that text. Wish I could say I didn't know people like that, but I spent a good 20+ years in Texas and there is a proportion of the population that sees what they want to see and hears what they want to hear. Only.  And they become seriously beligerent if reality intrudes.  It's never pretty.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »
Florida was so hot. I despised it. Houston though, another level up.

It was like Miami, but with more smog and cars and noise!

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 04:58:33 PM »
So very true! Thankfully we are very healthy, but I am a nurse and know how quickly those things can change. I also see here how discriminating care is based on ability to pay and it makes me infuriated. I'm a bit fed up with the system here...

You are a nurse?  I think you'll have NO problems finding work here.  ;D

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 09:25:31 PM »
You are a nurse?  I think you'll have NO problems finding work here.  ;D

Yes! I will have to look more into that. I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle of getting certified in the uk. I work for a midwife here in the US and am a international certified child birth educator and Lactation consultant, so I may just dabble in those two realms from time to time though not sure it’d be worth the tax hassle for me. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 10:52:41 PM »

After 5 years here, I was able to qualify for a mortgage (have to build credit all over again).   

Car insurance is a killer those first few years, but will soon drop.  I find it comparable to my US insurance.

Is it possible to purchase a home sooner than 5 years?

What is a good estimate of car insurance those first few years of being new to the country??

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 04:22:55 AM »

What is a good estimate of car insurance those first few years of being new to the country??

Possibly.  You’ll need a large deposit (40% or so) and a strong UK work history of at least two years.  It’s best to have only the UKC on the mortgage, to avoid US taxes on a foreign property.  And as an immigrant, you will have a high interest rate if you are on the mortgage.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 06:22:44 AM »
Possibly.  You’ll need a large deposit (40% or so) and a strong UK work history of at least two years.  It’s best to have only the UKC on the mortgage, to avoid US taxes on a foreign property.  And as an immigrant, you will have a high interest rate if you are on the mortgage.

And in case of divorce?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 09:16:28 AM »
And in case of divorce?

Technically shmechnically, the UK considers a home to be a joint asset regardless of who is on the house.

But yes, I have all my trust and faith in my husband.  He could easily f* me over.  Easily.  We've got two houses.  ::)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 10:05:57 AM »

I'm not new to the country, but I just got my first insurance cover a few weeks ago (I've had my full UK license since April last year and just got a car in the first week of June this year).  I took out comprehensive cover with £300 voluntary excess on a cheap little used Fiat Panda, and it cost £546 for the first year.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »
Hi Amber... I haven't read all of the above posts, so apologies if this has already been mentioned.  I read that your husband works for IBM... IBM have a big site here in the west of Scotland, in Greenock.

Has he looked into getting a transfer at all?  Greenock itself is not a particularly nice place to live, but there are places nearby that are lovely.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:54:41 AM by Albatross »

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
Hi Amber... I haven't read all of the above posts, so apologies if this has already been mentioned.  I read that your husband works for IBM... IBM have a big site here in the west of Scotland, in Greenock.

Has he looked into getting a transfer at all?  Greenock itself is not a particularly nice place to live, but there are places nearby that are lovely.

Hi! He has not looked into getting a transfer just yet, that would be the first thing to try and then he would look at other tech companies....what are some of the places near Greenock that you would recommend. I honestly haven’t considered Scotland at all. How do you find it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 35
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2018, 12:26:18 PM »
For the OP, our out of pocket stuff is teeth (my teeth suck). So I have 2-3 dental visits per year and two cleanings a year (that’s a couple of hundred total)

Yep! We couldn't find any NHS dentists who wanted to do proper cleanings (just a quick scrape - ugh!) so we gave up and went private for all dental. Now we get what we want/expect but costs £130 each twice a year.

Sponsored Links