Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Has anyone used H & R Block to file US taxes from the UK?  (Read 265 times)

• Liked: 0
Has anyone used H & R Block to file US taxes from the UK?
« on: April 05, 2024, 01:05:24 PM »
They have an Expats tax section for filers from the UK. 

I will never have to pay US taxes (unless I win the lottery!), but things feel a little more confusing this year due to retirement and receiving US Social Security and UK State Pension, so I've been thinking of using something like this.

I've had a quote from another adviser that comes in at almost $800, which seems a little much when I don't have a lot!

UK taxes are being taken care of with the assistance of my partner's accountant when the time comes...just looking for opinions.

Thanks for any feedback...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Liked: 102
Re: Has anyone used H & R Block to file US taxes from the UK?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 06:50:17 PM »
I an not aware if that specific company is regulated in the UK. These thoughts may help:
Golden Rules for choosing a great tax professional when in the UK:
1. QUALIFICATIONS
Do not be shy! Ask if they are members of professional bodies in both the US and UK and if so, which ones and for how long. [Only a small number are dually qualified, which is 100% essential.]
2. COST
Ask what they charge!
3. COMFORT
Pick one who is dually US/UK qualified (so you know that the tax preparer is regulated in both the US and the UK) and who you feel you can get on with. This is a personal choice so call a few firms before deciding...

• Liked: 723
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 08:42:37 AM »
They have an Expats tax section for filers from the UK. 

I will never have to pay US taxes (unless I win the lottery!), but things feel a little more confusing this year due to retirement and receiving US Social Security and UK State Pension, so I've been thinking of using something like this.

I've had a quote from another adviser that comes in at almost $800, which seems a little much when I don't have a lot!

UK taxes are being taken care of with the assistance of my partner's accountant when the time comes...just looking for opinions.

Thanks for any feedback...

My son has never paid US taxes since moving back because his only income is UK earned income that he can exclude with a FEIE, plus a little interest, but he files a return every year using TurboTax.  In your situation I think I would file a return simply because the IRS will get a copy of your SS income so I’d want to be sure they know there is no tax due. However, I think I would file a simple return myself rather than pay someone a load of money. There are free options to do this.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 12:14:55 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 12:04:03 PM »
Thanks both, and noted!
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab