Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: First post of many. Looking to live with fiancee in the UK.  (Read 362 times)

• Liked: 0
First post of many. Looking to live with fiancee in the UK.
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:57:07 AM »
This is my first post to begin getting information and starting the process of trying to get a visa to live (and possibly work) in the UK.

My name is Casey, I am 22 years old. And I am a United State citizen.

My fiancee and I have been living together since March 2nd, 2009, in Southern
California. She is a UK born citizen, who was living here for the last 5 years with her ex-husband and has a permanent residency card here in the US. Things didn't work out and since march we have been together. Following the engagement we decided we wanted to live in the UK, and start our family there. But I need to start the process of getting a Visa to live in the UK.

We have a place to reside for however long we need to get situated once we are there through my fiancee's family. And have jobs that would be available to both of us, me being the only one who has a question about being able to take said jobs.

After looking at many UK immigration sites, with all of the tiers and levels and different categories, it's hard to figure out which to apply for, and what to start getting on hand in hopes of getting the visa. And the proper sites and places where I can receive and send documents throughout the process.

So first and foremost I am wondering if anyone has advice on what sites to visit, what documents I will have to have on hand (already have passport), and what tiers/level I should focus on applying for. The main goal is to be able to live there, but being able to work would be a huge plus but from research alone it doesn't seem like that would happen until we are married.

Look forward to sharing the process and the many stories that will probably come with this, but could use some help and info on how to make the first steps. Will check back frequently and would be happy to answer any gaps I may have left in order to get clear information.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:59:54 AM by Caliaztec »

Re: First post of many. Looking to live with fiancee in the UK.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 09:01:55 AM »
When do you plan on getting married?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:06:48 AM by WebyJ »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:05:07 AM »
The plans are maybe a year or so after we move to the UK.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:07:33 AM »
You could apply for a fiance visa but that only gives you 6 months to get married. Aside from that you'll need to look at employment or student based visas.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 09:07:46 AM »
The plans are maybe a year or so after we move to the UK.

Unfortunately that may not be possible as there is no 'living together' visa.

If you're planning on getting married in the UK in the next 6 months then you want a fiance visa: http://www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/fiance/. This means that you would have to get married and then apply for a FLR(M) spousal visa once the marriage is complete before the end of the 6 month fiancee visa. You CANNOT WORK on a fiance visa.

If you'd like to get married in the US then you would apply for the Spousal visa: http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/spouse/. This visa is good for 27 months. You CAN work immediately upon arrival in the UK.

Unfortunately, unless you have a Masters Degree you cannot get a Tier 1 visa. If you can find an employer that says there is no one else in the EU or UK that can do what you do then you might be able to get a Tier 2 visa. If you want to go to school the Tier 4 is an option. Or if you just graduated from Uni then you may want to look into BUNAC and the Tier 5 Government Exchange visa.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:10:04 AM by WebyJ »

Sponsored Links