Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Girlfriend in the UK funding my trip.  (Read 390 times)

• Liked: 0
Girlfriend in the UK funding my trip.
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:59:44 PM »
I understand while on the plane you are set to fillout a card with the following questions,

What is the purpose of your visit?
How long will you be staying?
Will you be returning to the US or traveling on to a different country?
Do you have a return air ticket? May I see it?
Where will you be staying? Have you made hotel reservations? May I see them?
What funds do you have for your visit? May I see evidence of that?
What do you do for a living in the US? Do you have a letter from your employer?

My question is what if my girlfriend who is studying in the UK is funding my trip to visit them for six months? Do I need to show their bank statement? Proof of their accommodation? Sorry if this has been asked before. I just really do not want to get turned away simply because my girlfriend is funding me to visit them. Also it will be a one way ticket because her course is only 6 months, after that we will be traveling to another country together. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Gene

Re: Girlfriend in the UK funding my trip.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:07:04 PM »
I can't really speak on who should have the funds (you or her) because I don't have experience with that--nor the new landing cards, I guess (since I don't remember those questions on the card, but October 2008 was the last time I filled one out). But, I would ask you to reconsider only having a one-way ticket--that can sometimes raise a red flag for the IO, especially when you're asking to be let in for six months in one stretch. It can sometimes cause them to be suspicious (not all the time of course) and you might run into some trouble on that front.

Do you have a job to go back to in the US? School? A housing agreement, or some other binding contract? These would all go in your favor when you present yourself to immigration on the ground, since you're asking to stay for such a considerable amount of time with no return ticket.

*Some* people have had their sponsor write a letter detailing that they'll make sure the USC is taken care of financially and will have a place to stay and such, but I personally can't speak on whether or not this would work since I've never done it before.
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:08:12 PM »
These questions will not asked on the landing card (the one you fill out on the plane), but will be asked when you go through immigration.

You will need a letter from your GF stating that she will be supporting you on this trip and proof that she has  the funds to do so. IMO, if you are staying for the full six months with no return ticket to the US, you are likely to be refused entry.  Do you have a job in the US?  Any other ties to the US?  You may want to look into a visitors visa.

xposted with KF

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 05:18:14 PM »
I was recently let go because the place I worked for is shutting down. Hmm.. I have no clue what to do.. I don't own anything. Just my family back here is all.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »
Look into a visitors visa. You are most likely to be refused entry at the border if you have no job, no return ticket and plans to stay for 6 months. 
You have to look at it from their point of view:  you cant prove that you have a reason to return to the US, but you do have a reason to want to spend 6 months in the UK, so why not stay forever?

Where do you live currently? Do you rent?  Will you be keeping this rental whilst traveling?

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 06:31:36 PM »
6 months is October 1st to April 1st.  If you're not gone by April 1st, you're an overstayer. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 06:46:53 PM »
Here is the official page for General Visitors to the UK and what type of documents you may be asked to provide to the IO when you arrive: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visitingtheuk/visitors/documents/
This page explains what documents you should have when coming to the United Kingdom as a general visitor.

They are:

■a letter from your employer granting leave of absence from your job for a specified period. The letter should also say how long you have been employed by that employer, in what job(s) and should indicate when you are expected back at work;
■if you are self-employed, evidence of your business activities and financial standing;
■evidence of any property you own in your home country;
■if you are a student, a letter from your school or college stating which course you are on, its start and finish dates and the dates of the holiday period during which you intend to visit the United Kingdom;
■it will also help if you can show that you have family or social ties and responsibilities to return to;
■evidence of any firm travel plans you have made;
■bank statements going back over a period of several months; and
■evidence of savings available to you.
and here is the main page on general visitors you might want to look at:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visitingtheuk/visitors/eligibility/

I agree with mirrajay...no job, no return ticket, no proof of ties to the US you will be bounced and most likely refused a visitor visa (advanced entry clearance) as well since it is the same criteria as if you just arrived at the border.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:51:10 PM by WebyJ »

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 06:49:49 PM »
Just chiming in to say it's a bounce.

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 06:58:34 PM »
Would it be possible to prove he was leaving the country if he had a ticket dated for the end of his visit to go onto another country? 

Either way, I agree that it looks a little sketchy to not have any proof of return to the US, etc.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 07:00:37 PM »
Would it be possible to prove he was leaving the country if he had a ticket dated for the end of his visit to go onto another country? 

Either way, I agree that it looks a little sketchy to not have any proof of return to the US, etc.

Still without ties to the country of origin would be VERY iffy.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab