Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Blood Test/Waiting Period  (Read 1969 times)

• Liked: 0
Blood Test/Waiting Period
« on: February 05, 2006, 03:15:39 AM »
Okay, my dog was blood tested in July and the results were good.  My vet said the certified copy just meant he'd have to sign it, but from reading what someone else posted (I copied below) on this site, I'm a bit nervous! I am to file the results with the state vet? Does that mean that the six month waiting period starts AFTER I file the results with the State Vet? Or, does it begin from the test results?  I'm really upset because I'm supposed to move in May! HELP!

"After the paperwork is cleared by the state vet, you're just in a waiting game until the six months is up.  Remember that there are only certain routes / airlines that can bring pets into the UK.  We're bringing ours from washington d.c. so the only approved carrier is Virgin Atalantic.  They won't allow you to make a reservation until your paperwork is completed by the state rep.  Plus they have all sorts of restrictions on crate size etc.  Virgin is charging us $125 or something per pet handling charge - on top of the cargo charge.  Then when the animals get to Heathrow, the british government charges something like 250GBP ($500) each to process the animals into the country.  I haven't gotten to that stage yet so dont' quote me on that."

Re: Blood Test/Waiting Period
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 04:02:22 AM »
hi, all the information you need is on the defra site here http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

There is alot involved, as I am doing it now with my dog.  Lots of great information here.  Welcome and good luck! :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 04:08:54 AM by jennredd »

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 04:43:30 AM »
Thanks for the link, I've been on that site more times than I can count!  I'm just very confused about who/how to have his blood test results certified.  Do you know?  Defra said a copy is fine.  I'm confused!

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 04:53:29 AM »
I have the original test result document that the lab sent back to my vet.   Also, the USDA is located here in South San Francisco, so I already called and spoke to someone there about bringing in the certificate after my vet signs off on everything.  I cant believe how difficult it is to get your pet over there!

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 08:17:01 AM »
Do not get it certified by USDA until 7-10 days before the end of the six months.  The clock on the 4 month grace period after the 6 months begins the minute it is certified by the USDA.    If you're coming in May, I would check to make sure that all of the testing will still be valid.  You may want to call DEFRA to confirm your particular situation.

Your six month waiting period is over from 6 months to the day from the day the blood was DRAWN.

I have posted all of the relavent sites in their own topics, so look there.  All of the answers are in the DEFRA fact sheet for cats and dogs and you need to follow it to the letter.  There are instructions for vets as well for the vaccines etc..  and you should print those out for your vet. 

I made my reservations before my paperwork was certified but I left from Canada so it may be different there. 

I know how overwhelming this process is, but if you follow the instructions on the fact sheet, all the information IS there and then you should not have any problems.

Please feel free to ask me any questions, PM me if you would like.  I'm happy to help on this most bewildering topic!  Nothing made sense to me until after it was all over and now, having done it, it makes perfect sense (also the emotional pressure is off now that kitty is home!)

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 10:31:50 PM »
Okay, now I'm even more confused.  I thought you got it certified by the USDA vet before you left, and it didn't matter when you got it certified, just not earlier than four months before you leave.
Now, you say 7-10 days before the six month period is up? Is this the rule?   :-\\\\

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 07:21:25 AM »
This is from the DEFRA factsheet.  If you are confused, call the help line.  they are really good, friendly and helpful.  It is not entirely clear whether or not you can renew your certificate if the boosters are kept up to date.  You might want to check with DEFRA on that.   

"• Validity of the certificate
You need to be aware of the following. The certificate will not become valid for entry to the UK for 6 calendar months from the date the blood sample was taken shown in section V. However, it is only valid for entry to the EU and subsequent travel within the EU for 4 months from the date it was signed or endorsed, or until the “Valid until” date shown in Part IV, whichever is earlier. You should therefore delay getting the certificate until a month or two before you travel to ensure that it will still be valid when you enter the UK. To enter the UK, the certificate must also show a current treatment for ticks and tapeworms at the time of return (see step 5). In addition to the certificate, when you travel you must have with you your pet’s original vaccination record and blood test result (or certified copies) which show the microchip number."

Also,  the FAQ  on DEFRA website

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/docqa.htm#2

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 09:20:56 AM by mrspink »

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 10:59:18 AM »
Okay, my dog was blood tested in July and the results were good. My vet said the certified copy just meant he'd have to sign it, but from reading what someone else posted (I copied below) on this site, I'm a bit nervous! I am to file the results with the state vet? Does that mean that the six month waiting period starts AFTER I file the results with the State Vet? Or, does it begin from the test results? I'm really upset because I'm supposed to move in May! HELP!

Okay hopefully you got a rabies titer test and those are the results you're talking about. The only approved lab in the US for the PETS scheme is in Kansas. Once you have an ok titer result your time starts from the date the blood was drawn. (if your dog's blood didn't go to Kansas then I think you probably have to start over - but call DEFRA) There are no required certifications for the titer result other than that the results come from the Kansas lab.

The state vet doesn't have anthing to do with PETS - it's the USDA vet stamp you need. Your vet will fill out the health certificate and the Journal of the EU Annex pages. Then you must have these stamped and signed off on by the USDA vet. Usually the health certificate can only be filled out up to 10 days before the flight (check with the airline). I drove my paperwork to the USDA for stamps but they told me that I could also FedEx it to them and include a return package. Once you have it back then your dog will need to be tick and tapeworm treated 24-48 hours before the flight.
To clear DEFRA and customs you must have the titer resutls from Kansas, the signed and stamped health certificate, the EU journal, a C-5 customs form, and the microchip paperwork.

Also check with your airline. I flew Continental and their pet desk was extremely helpful.

I brought my cat over in December from Houston to London (PETS approved route to clear DEFRA and customs) then onto Aberdeen. My cat cleared just fine - no problems. I know how stressful this is. I was so glad it was over and my pet is adjusting well.
Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 02:47:56 PM »
How did you get your Favn blood test (for rabies) results certified?? Did your vet do it? How do they certify it??
I'm referring to where it says you need a certified copy of the test results.  Or, can i get a notary public to make a copy and certify it??
Thanks for everyone's help!

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 02:51:57 PM »
the blood tests have to be certified by the USDA qualified vet.  they stamp the Rabies paperwork and then they stamp and certify the third country vet certificate at the same time.  Then you have four months to bring over your pet. 

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 03:43:47 PM »
the blood tests have to be certified by the USDA qualified vet. they stamp the Rabies paperwork and then they stamp and certify the third country vet certificate at the same time. Then you have four months to bring over your pet.

No this is not correct. The results from the FAVN lab do not have to be certified by the USDA vet. They do not stamp that paperwork. You do however have to take it with you to the USDA (or FedEx it) along with the health certificate and the 3rd country health certificate (EU journal annex form). The USDA vet will only stamp and sign the health certificate and the EU journal paperwork.

The reason it is difficult to get the paperwork stamped by the USDA 4 months in advance is because the certificate number of the United States Interstate and International Health Certificate (which can only be issued 7-10 days before flight) must be placed on the EU journal annex (3rd country health certificate) that they have to sign and stamp.

Mrs. Pink - didn't you leave from Canada?  ??? Did you have to deal with the USDA???
Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 11:28:23 PM »
Where do you get the form for the international health certificate?  Is that through Defra?? 

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 10:56:14 AM »
Where do you get the form for the international health certificate? Is that through Defra??

The United States Interstate and International Health Certificate is issued by the USDA to qualified veterinarians - which your vet should be. It is a one page form with 5 copies and carbon paper between each of the copies.

3rd country health certificate (EU journal annex form) - this you get off of DEFRA's website. http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/dat/2004/l_065/l_06520040303en00130019.pdf it is pages 5 & 6
- Eleanor Roosevelt

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 12:36:54 AM »
The United States Interstate and International Health Certificate is issued by the USDA to qualified veterinarians - which your vet should be. It is a one page form with 5 copies and carbon paper between each of the copies.

Okay, neither the USDA website, nor the Defra website seemed to mention ANYTHING about these!  Do I need both, or just the International Health Certificate?  Do I ask my vet to get it, or can I call the USDA to have it issued to my vet?
So, if I can't get the Third Country Certificate until I get the US Interstate/Internation Certificate, how long before I leave should I get it?
I thought I had everything under control and knew everything I need to do...I was VERY wrong! :P
Thank you :)

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 10:07:53 AM »
Okay, neither the USDA website, nor the Defra website seemed to mention ANYTHING about these! Do I need both, or just the International Health Certificate? Do I ask my vet to get it, or can I call the USDA to have it issued to my vet?
So, if I can't get the Third Country Certificate until I get the US Interstate/Internation Certificate, how long before I leave should I get it?
I thought I had everything under control and knew everything I need to do...I was VERY wrong! :P
Thank you :)

On the Defra website if you see the factsheet 4 it explains that you need either an EU passport (which you can't get until after you get here) or a third country veterinary certificate. http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/factsheet/eufactsheet4a.pdf

The US interstate/international certificate is the health certificate that you must have to fly your pet on a US airline. In order to export it out of the country. This typically cannot be issued until 7-10 prior to the flight (check with the airline you're using). The USDA vet is usally in the state capital if you're close then you could drive all of your stuff over and have it stamped or you can FedEx the information to them and enclose a return FedEx envelope. My USDA vet office was very helpful so you might call to see what their standard proceedures are.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/exp-pets.html
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Sponsored Links