Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wills  (Read 2390 times)

• Liked: 0
Wills
« on: April 02, 2020, 12:52:47 AM »
Any recommendations on who to speak to about a will covering US & UK assets (property & investments)?  Something online/automated like legalzoom would be ace, but I reckon this is too complicated for them :( Thanks!

• Liked: 676
Re: Wills
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 07:57:16 AM »
Any recommendations on who to speak to about a will covering US & UK assets (property & investments)?  Something online/automated like legalzoom would be ace, but I reckon this is too complicated for them :( Thanks!

I was told, and this was a few years ago and by a paralegal, that a USA will is not valid in the UK and a UK will is not valid in the USA. You have to have one in/for each location.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 09:39:08 AM »
Wow, if true that'd actually make this way easier :D I think it'd be pretty straight forward for us in each country separately, it's just the joint that seems to cause issues (and extra ££)! I'll dig into it a bit more.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 12:29:39 PM »
There is some info on the ABA website: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/gpsolo/publications/gp_solo/2011/april_may/estate_planning_withforeignproperty/

I think having a will in the country where you live is most important. I think that would be the jurisdiction for taxation.

Sponsored Links