Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spouse visa questions (name change, US marriage, etc.)  (Read 6045 times)

• Alors, tu te rappelleras tout ce que je te dis là
  • Liked: 150
Re: Spouse visa questions (name change, US marriage, etc.)
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2017, 11:07:06 PM »
I fedex'd a box to myself prior to having an approved settlement visa and received a bill from FedEx for import fees.  This was fall 2016.

FWIW, I'm shipping some sentimental items from the US that I didn't want to part with (and couldn't bring in a carryon), and had to fill out a Transfer of Residence (ToR) application in order to be exempt from paying customs fees.  The ToR requires you to meet certain conditions, one of which is that the items you are shipping have been in your possession for more than six months.  The ToR process is new as of April 1, and may have replaced more lax requirements.  More ToR info is here: http://www.gov.uk/guidance/customs-clearance-for-transfers-of-residence-to-the-uk-and-eu .  You may also want to check out the Moving forum on UK-Y as there may be more knowledge on those pages.  It took me about three weeks from submitting the ToR to getting my approval number, and my settlement visa was approved before I applied for the ToR (though I'm not sure if it's a requirement to have it approved before applying.)

Thank you!
Met UK 30/05/2016
Married US 03/03/2017
Applied spouse visa 17/04/2017
Decision 31/05/2017
**Visa Approved**

• Liked: 210
Re: Spouse visa questions (name change, US marriage, etc.)
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2017, 12:26:39 AM »
I fedex'd a box to myself prior to having an approved settlement visa and received a bill from FedEx for import fees.  This was fall 2016.

FWIW, I'm shipping some sentimental items from the US that I didn't want to part with (and couldn't bring in a carryon), and had to fill out a Transfer of Residence (ToR) application in order to be exempt from paying customs fees.  The ToR requires you to meet certain conditions, one of which is that the items you are shipping have been in your possession for more than six months.  The ToR process is new as of April 1, and may have replaced more lax requirements.  More ToR info is here: http://www.gov.uk/guidance/customs-clearance-for-transfers-of-residence-to-the-uk-and-eu .  You may also want to check out the Moving forum on UK-Y as there may be more knowledge on those pages.  It took me about three weeks from submitting the ToR to getting my approval number, and my settlement visa was approved before I applied for the ToR (though I'm not sure if it's a requirement to have it approved before applying.)

Exactly. Thank you for confirming that I needed this form. That's what I was asking. :)
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab