Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Home-made Jam  (Read 828 times)

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
Home-made Jam
« on: July 15, 2004, 10:19:55 PM »
Here's a question--are any of you home canners?  I come from Small-Town USA where we make our own jams and jellies (and can all the veggies and fruit from the garden).  The DF really loves my home made Wine jelly but I don't have the proper tools to make it.

So, where do you go to find stuff?  I tried Home Base, M&S, Jenners and many others that were suggested to me by varrious people but to no avail.  I'm not against using a brand I've not heard of before (Ball, Kerr...) I just need to know where to find it.

Re: Home-made Jam
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 11:21:52 PM »
Have you tried www.lakeland.co.uk  ?

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 05:47:59 AM »
Frances!
There is a farmers market in Edinburgh tomorrow up at Castle Terrace...  I know it's not the same as making your own, but you will probably find some gorgeous home-made jams there, as well as the best meat, sausages & cheese.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 09:56:53 AM »
Frances, you need to find small independant cookery shops (though Lakeland is good, too). They often have what you need. Try the 'net, as well. The Brits LOVE to make jams so you can find it here, it's just not in the obvious places!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 01:40:11 PM »
Dear Frances, I make jams and marmalades in my breadmaker.  I don't know if you've got one, but it's a thought!
Howard
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

• Just Frances
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 08:30:55 PM »
My family recipes all call for water baths, so I don't know that a bread maker would help.  I've found a few things that will work quite well, it's just finding the proper jars, lids and rings...the DF says he's never seen home-canned foods here with the same type of lids, so its sort of a deal where I need to figure out WHAT they use. 

I like the idea of searching the smaller kitchen stores, and some one said that maybe the garden stores would have some ideas...I guess if all else fails, I'll have the folks send some stuff from home...

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 09:37:59 PM »
They have them at Lakeland ltd. and it's mail order.  Search 'jam' under key words. 

• Just Frances
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 10:20:05 PM »
They have them at Lakeland ltd. and it's mail order.  Search 'jam' under key words. 

Bingo!!!  I looked there before and searched in the "search" button, but the keyword one did it--I have an order in and can't wait until everything shows up!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab