Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things about the USA your UK spouse should know.  (Read 58774 times)

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
  • Liked: 0
Re: Things about the USA your UK spouse should know.
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2007, 11:31:44 AM »
Prepare to have your mind blown by how much cheaper everything is in the States (gas being a great example).

• Liked: 1
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2007, 10:24:29 AM »
Prepare to have your mind blown by how much cheaper everything is in the States (gas being a great example).

..but not your missed British favorite foods... with the exchange rate be prepared to die of sticker shock....

If you love English tea brands...bring it with you!  It is so so so so expensive if you can find it! On the air base PG was $7 for a box of 60 bags! We take PG with us when we go!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:42:19 PM by vnicepeep »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2007, 10:43:09 AM »
A year late but still......   :D

I was shocked when a friend of my H's told me that passengers could drink in the car in the UK  :o 

There's nothing in the law which actually stops the driver of a car from drinking while traveling along.  Just so long as he isn't actually drunk (by the legal definition).
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2007, 06:58:55 PM »
But for most of the US, there is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_container_law

As far as I can recall, the states in which I lived had open container laws.  In some instances, I have even heard this being interpreted for - say you were only transporting a bottle of liquor that had already been opened (the seal broken), even if no one in the car was actively drinking it then & there.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Banned

« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2007, 08:48:07 AM »
While there is no Federal law prohibiting open containers in a motor vehicle, there are incentives for states to comply with Federal program requirements, such as transportation budget cuts for those states not in compliance

Ah, the good old Federal blackmail system:  "Do what we say or lose funding."    In my opinion, it's certainly against the spirit of the 10th Amendment even if not the letter

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2007, 08:56:54 AM »
Ah, the good old Federal blackmail system:  "Do what we say or lose funding."    In my opinion, it's certainly against the spirit of the 10th Amendment even if not the letter

Perhaps, but I honestly don't think that driving around drinking alcohol is really a good idea, Paul, so I don't have any problem with open container laws. :)

• Banned

« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2007, 09:13:12 AM »
I honestly don't think that driving around drinking alcohol is really a good idea

I'd agree with that, but if a passenger is sitting quietly in the car sipping a beer while riding along, who is that hurting?   

And if you had half a bottle of wine left that you wanted to take to a friend's dinner party, should it really be a crime to do so just because it's already been opened?   
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2007, 10:34:47 AM »
In my opinion, it's certainly against the spirit of the 10th Amendment even if not the letter

I kind of think if, in 1791, James Madison, et al had envisioned a world with drunk driving, they might have had something to say about it.  ;)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2007, 01:47:36 PM »
You can get just about anything you want at 9 pm on a Sunday.  We do not have those stupid Sunday opening laws (for the most part anyway).  Although, in some counties, you cannot buy alcohol before noon.

June

« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2007, 02:26:41 PM »
And if you had half a bottle of wine left that you wanted to take to a friend's dinner party...   

I would never take only half a bottle of wine to a friend's dinner party!  How cheeky is that!?! :P

Although, in some counties, you cannot buy alcohol before noon.

And in some places, you have restrictions and/or difficulty buying alcohol at all on Sundays.  And, in some counties, you cannot buy alcohol, full stop.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2007, 02:27:56 PM »
And in some places, you have restrictions and/or difficulty buying alcohol at all on Sundays.  And, in some counties, you cannot buy alcohol, full stop.

In a lot of places, definitely not in a supermarket!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2007, 02:33:37 PM »
Don't forget drive-thru liquor stores!

« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2007, 02:36:06 PM »
Or only being able to buy liquior in state stores and beer in bottle shops for PA. 

« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2007, 07:00:27 AM »
..but not your missed British favorite foods... with the exchange rate be prepared to die of sticker shock....

If you love English tea brands...bring it with you!  It is so so so so expensive if you can find it! On the air base PG was $7 for a box of 60 bags! We take PG with us when we go!

If you live near a Wegman's (Western to Central NY, PA, DC, and some parts of New England), they always have an aisle called "Foods from around the World".  The one I shop at has a smallish UK section, but it focuses more on Ireland than England.  They do sell PG Tips as well as some of my husband's favourite biscuits (some nutty hard things covered in chocolate), jams, and some other odds and ends.  PG Tips definitely isn't that expensive there.  We bought a huge box and now I am likely going to have to toss most of it when I leave (*small voice* I don't like it as much as Twinnings).

• Home for me....
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2007, 02:55:46 PM »

Couples having a new baby can expect at least 1, if not 2 or 3 baby shower parties receiving all the baby gifts they could ever want and more.

Matt

I have issues here in the UK since baby showers are not done here I feel it is odd to buy things for a baby when I feel like, it is just different.
Never say good bye with tears....just say see ya later with a smile........

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab